Bricked ST3500320NS

Hello, new here, greetings. :w00t:

I was led here by the solution to unbrick Seagate 7200.11 drives from the bsy error.

Part 1,

I have a Barracuda ES.2 ST3500320NS with firmware SN04 that I can feel spin up when power is connected but is undetected in bios. It dissappeared after some unexpected reboots that I'm putting down to brownouts, I've since bought an UPS so that shouldn't be a problem anymore. I have run Victoria 4.3beta and it does not detect the drive. My question is should the fix for AS drives work the same for this NS and do you all concur that it is the BSY error I am affected by?

Part 2,

I have bought a DKU-5 off ebay which, upon stripping it out, only has 3 wires instead of 5. I have determined Rx, Tx and GND so I'm confident it'll work but does it take power off the usb or do I need to add in a battery?

Sorry if I seem a little stupid asking these questions. I read through the first 53 pages of the fix and got blinded by science and a bit befuddled. Also having no thread search doesn't help matters either.

Anything you may need to know to help me I will try and be asap with.

Many thanks.

I had seen that post before which is why I thought I'd ask before proceeding. I am still waiting on a T6 torx driver I ordered but I can connect up the drive, test and possibly unblock it with this shorting of the two points mentioned. Once I'm unlocked with that and spun down would I have to slip in a card or not before proceeding? I'm thinking not.

I have an old 'turbo' button from an old pc I thought I'd hook up to a couple of probes to insert into the points first then all I have to do is hit the switch at the appropriate point instead of jamming it in a hole and possibly missing.

Is m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 the same as m0,2,2,,,,,22? Looks like the same command from the writing of the guide, both do partition regen on the guide, but I've seen posts saying ",,,, is ,,,, not ,0,0,0," so I'm just wondering.

So I just finally got a chance to have a go at this and connected the drive to terminal and power but I didn't get anything happening. Did looptest which worked fine. I got no terminal messages at all, no response from Ctrl+z. I tried reversing Rx and Tx even though I plmbed up my cable to cross them anyway. The guide about ES.2 drives says I should get an error flashing up and I finally got one, after alot of waiting.

FlashLED - Failure Code:000000cc Failure Address:0024a50d

It flashes that up every minute and 8 seconds. After this though I can't do anything. I've been hitting Ctrl+z for all I'm worth but I just don't see a F3 T> prompt. Any suggestions?

Yes just z not Z with Ctrl. Ctrl+z sends 1 bit to show throughput connection and bring up the prompt.

After a bit of messing I discovered I can get a prompt but only before the error code hits which happens just after the drive spins up completely. Seems to be totally blocked after that.

I managed to input the /2 and then Z before the led error hit but then the error changed to...

FlashLED - Failure Code:000000ce Failure Address:028252d

and again I'm totally blocked out. I unplugged and started again and it reverted to the original led error. Going to try isolating the motor and contact blocks to see what happens now and then if all else fails will have to short out those contacts before the motor starts or spins up fully.

Edited by TLH

Yes just z not Z with Ctrl. Ctrl+z sends 1 bit to show throughput connection and bring up the prompt.

I don't know if we are saying the same thing or a different one. :unsure:

The command is Ctrl+Z (capital Z). Ctrl+z is NOT AFAIK a valid command.

3. between these messages you can unlock the terminal by pushing CTRL+Z. It will show a line: "F3 T>" and it will be Unlocked for about 1 second

jaclaz

z and Z are the same thing for the purposes of getting a prompt afaik. You can't do Ctrl+(hold Shift) Z or have Caps Lock on while doing this can you?. Typing 'Z' in level 2 is necessary to deliver the correct command, I'll give you that but it doesn't matter here and Ctrl+z did bring up the prompt just fine.

Which pic is the correct set of shorts now is what I need to know now?

I can't upload all the pics in one post though.

post-263582-1256058132_thumb.jpg

post-263582-1256058166_thumb.jpg

:whistle: I shouldn't have bothered reading through so much of the fix thread in the first place. I should have just read enough to sort out a cable setup and done the job straight away. Turns out my drive only needed the contacts isolating afterall. Everything went as the guide stated and I didn't need to short anything. That thread of johnmar's for ES.2 terminal unlocking should be renamed, possibly to highlight the fact it is for locked terminal in all 7200.11 and only as a last resort.

Anyway, happy bunny now I am. I'm off for a drink to celebrate. One ST3500320NS unbricked :thumbup