nLite Component (Removal) List : What to/not to remove

UberGeek

Hello Guys,

I've been trying lately to make an Ultra Stripped Down Version for Windows XP that would not only Install faster but boot up faster too.

Primary Goals are to keep Connectivity over Ethernet & WiFi, Internet & ICS, (Multiplayer) Gaming, Programming & Semi n00b Office (Presentations) things.

I'm getting a bit confused while removing Components - actually its a fear of having a major problem in future or compatibility issues. So I thought of asking here if my preferences are all right OR some modifications needed.

I'm attaching my Last Session.ini Or, If you prefer - take a look at my blog post for the list, you can comment your opinions.

Just remember - Slimmer is Better, but not to loose compatibility & Support for Current or Upcoming Devices (Ancient ones can be sacrificed though :whistle: ). Connectivity, Security, Simplicity, Minimalism have to be attained.

--- Thanks in Advance. :D

# Edited 06 Oct. 2009

Last_Session.ini

Edited by UberGeek

It's just that every now and then, someone comes up with a mission of creating the ultimate "light and unusable" or "only usable for me" XP and no one feels the urge to help him creating such a broken OS because that usually comes with the duty of helping in the long and painfull repair process. :hello:

Thanks for the reply :yes:

I think you are right and that's what creating the problem (false positive thing :huh: )

What I'm making is totally Stable (at least trying) - & until now the thing is quite cool (I've done the graybox & blackbox testing & everything's alright)

What I'm asking is just an expert comment & a look up over the remove list so that there wouldn't be a faintest mistake!

I'm not Stuck or Ripping off my hair - I'm just preparing for the cosmetic surgery for this thing & just wanna be sure that everything is alright (or something more can be removed or not) within that period.

Tomorrow the Alpha will be released for testing on real PC (till now its only tested on Virtual Machine).

If moderators are interested - I can write a full walk-through for this "WindowsXP : UberSlim 2010".

Welcome @ MSFN-Forum!

You don`t behave rude. It`s just the problem that you asked a question

that has been asked and answered a million times.

There is no really answer, everybody has own wishes how to configure XP.

Why you use HTML to show what you have removed?

We are used to read the "Last Session.ini" - please attach it instead of your HTML.

This is my "Last Session.ini" - Thread German-WinLite.de:

http://german-winlite.de/wbb/index.php?pag...D=3216#post3216

You can download my INI and load it with nLite to see what I remove/tweak.

I use this INI since nLite-development has stopped at 1.4.9.1 without problems.

Welcome @ MSFN-Forum!

Thanks mate :hello:

Why you use HTML to show what you have removed?

We are used to read the "Last Session.ini" - please attach it instead of your HTML.

Ok, done. Just check out the 1st post. (Sometimes its a problem to think others n00b & simplify things unnecessarily :angel )

This is my "Last Session.ini" - Thread German-WinLite.de:

http://german-winlite.de/wbb/index.php?pag...D=3216#post3216

You can download my INI and load it with nLite to see what I remove/tweak.

I use this INI since nLite-development has stopped at 1.4.9.1 without problems.

Thanks for sharing, appreciate it. I'll take reference from it.

One help needed, can you please tell me how to remove/delete previous posts - or only moderators can do that ?

Currently I'm facing a Network related problem - that is 'View WorkGroup Computer' resulting in hanging for some times & then resulting in a message that says "Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission. The list of servers for workgroup is currently unavailable."

It happens even when I'm accessing from Administrator account. I can't access my VirtualBox Shared folders.

I have Microsoft peer-to-peer removed - might that cause the problem ?

for more details about the removal list - Last Session.ini attached with the 1st post.

Is there a virtual network driver that has to be installed with Virtual Box so you can communicate with your host computer through your VM session? Also, in VirtualPC that I am using, there is an option to install shared folders on the Virtual Machine so it can interact with the host computer; it is similar in VMWare as well.

Is there a virtual network driver that has to be installed with Virtual Box so you can communicate with your host computer through your VM session? Also, in VirtualPC that I am using, there is an option to install shared folders on the Virtual Machine so it can interact with the host computer; it is similar in VMWare as well.

No man, I installed "VirtualBox GuestAdditions " (that's what it's called) - & it works perfectly fine when it come to its other features.

Also the component unremoved installer works fine. This problem caused only after the components were removed.

Would this be a problem of Remove list OR nlite-VboX compatibility issue (with a certain component removed) I cant just figure that out.

I mean, what could be reason that WORKGROUP is not shown (Vbox share folder comes later).

Could you help ? Thanks.