Microsoft Security Essentials

tal ormanda

thats what its supposed to replace. ive been running it for a few days and its ok. certainly beats the other free AV softwares ive used.

Definitely the least intrusive. I can't tell, though, how much it covers. About the only thing I have figured out is that it is a malware scanner as much as an antivirus scanner and functionally upgrades Windows Defender. (if that matters much?)

Hard to imagine Microsoft did something that amazing. But I'll give it a shot.

I think the jury is still out on that one. :wacko:

i wonder if i can run this along with my free avg?

Nope. You must run one or the other. Two antivirus apps on the same computer can cause significant problems. If you wish to install Microsoft Security Essentials, you must first uninstall AVG free. Judging from the way AVG seems to be heading lately, I'd probably recommend it.

are you implying that freeavg is going downhill?

Are you implying it has ever been up the hill before? It always had poor detection rates, it's notorious for its high amount of false positives, and it's not particularly fast either.

The only thing it ever had was price, and even that is a moot point now.

If you try this, you don't go back to AVG.

What about comparing it to Avira Personal Free? Does it work better? Has anyone tried using it and Avira at the same time? I would like to try it too if there are more positive comments. Thanks.

Judging from the way AVG seems to be heading lately, I'd probably recommend it.

are you implying that freeavg is going downhill?

Yes. Basically what CoffeeFiend said, plus the fact that with every release, it just seems to get slower. Not what I'm looking for in an antivirus. MSE is fast and already proven. I shall be moving my (very old) laptop to it ASAP, because AVG is just slowing it down. Already installed it on my parents laptop, my new laptop, and my desktop (RIP :P ). Enjoying it immensely.

OK, I've just installed it and I have it scan my computer now. I think its full scanning is not as fast as that of Avira. And, it's strange that they are both running now without any problems!

OK, I've just installed it and I have it scan my computer now. I think its full scanning is not as fast as that of Avira. And, it's strange that they are both running now without any problems!

Basically, it's down to Avira and MSE. They have roughly the same detection and false positive rates, and other than the initial MSE full scan it does after install MSE and Avira have basically the same speed on my machines. Avira scores a bit better than MSE on scans, MSE and Avira score about the same in on-demand protection, so if routine system scans are important Avira might be a better choice for you. If you simply install and forget your antivirus program, however, MSE is likely a better choice than Avira (no nagware/ads in MSE).

Basically, it's down to Avira and MSE.

Avira is arguably the other good freeware AV. But the annoying popups every time it updates? It gets old quite fast. I gave up on Avira before precisely because of that (right when the newer version came out, where you couldn't just block the executable that pops up ads from running). Adware sucks. At this point, either Avira will remove their ads, or get their market share eaten away by MSE.

Competition is good! Now being free is no longer an excuse for having a crappy product (low detection rates, high positives, buggy, slow? well, yeah but it's free!) Other companies will have to offer us something better for free if they expect us to use their apps.

so if routine system scans are important Avira might be a better choice for you. If you simply install and forget your antivirus program, however, MSE is likely a better choice than Avira (no nagware/ads in MSE).
Well, I decide to use Avira only. The full scan last night said there were 4 bad files and I let MSE remove it. Then I removed MSE too. Having 2 AV programs is not necessary, is it? I think Avira is good enough for my computer.

Thanks Cluberti for the comparison. As for the annoying popups while Avira's updating, I am lucky to find this interesting topic:

http://www.msfn.org/board/couple-avira-per...ks-t137768.html

Avira works nice on my computer now, no splash and no popups to care about!