A bug with sysprep in win7 RTM

Problem:

I don't usually have problems running sysprep, but the first time I ran it on a Windows 7 RTM ( Just after installing windows, even hadnt configured anything on windows ) I received an error that Sysprep could not continue and was halted. I opened the error log file and saw this

2009-09-22 13:37:55, Error [0x0f0082] SYSPRP LaunchDll:Failure occurred while executing 'drmv2clt.dll,Sysprep', returned error code -2147024864[gle=0x00000020]

2009-09-22 13:37:55, Error [0x0f0070] SYSPRP RunExternalDlls:An error occurred while running registry sysprep DLLs, halting sysprep execution. dwRet = -2147024864[gle=0x00000020]

2009-09-22 13:37:55, Error [0x0f00a8] SYSPRP WinMain:Hit failure while processing sysprep cleanup providers; hr = 0x80070020[gle=0x00000020]

I searched the MS KB, and sadly, could find nothing. Then I Googled some of the above and found a couple of references to this. They mentioned that drmv2clt.dll is associated with Digital Rights Management and this error in Sysprep could be fixed by disabling Media Sharing in Windows Media Player. That seemed odd. This Windows 7 PC was setup just to test Sysprep and imaging. I didn't even start or configure Windows Media Player. This bug was exist in Windows 7 Beta and RC version as well! but they still havent fixed it in RTM version yet :o .

Reason : Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service.

Workaround:

Click Start > Run, type Services.msc to open the Services applet.

Scroll down to Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service, double click it, change the Startup type to Disabled. Click OK.

Once I did this, I re-ran Sysprep (sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:answer.xml) and it ran without error.

Seems like a sysprep bug to me.

If you debug it further you'll find it's a SID/crypto error, and that sysprep didn't complete properly (hence the DRM information WMP has is for the user prior to sysprep, which is invalid, and thus the error because the user's keys and SID/user context are no longer matching and valid). I've run into it before, and the only fix is to redo the image.

This is the main reason why my images are now all built in VMs with snapshot capabilities, so I can simply go back and try again when/if it fails (and it's rare, but yes, I've seen this one once or twice before and ultimately figured out the error).

Thanks for the reply, but I still faced the problem, I thought that workaround workd for me, but after finishing sysprep and rebooting , it gave me "Configuration error" so I think it didnt work!!

I tried to redo the image, but same problem again! can u explain me what exactly I need to do? :unsure:

What I do is build my machine as I want it in a VM, then take a snapshot, then run sysprep and image the drive. I reboot the VM once it's been captured and make sure sysprep worked - if it did, the image is good and can be deployed. If the image fails, I go back to the snapshot point and run sysprep again. However, if it fails a second time, I rebuild the VM again from scratch and repeat the process.

It's worth noting I've only ever had this happen twice in my time preping Win7, and both times it was caused by installing onto a hard drive that eventually did die (hence why I moved to using a VM instead, where the issue has yet to occur).

I dont get it working! everytime it gives same error as following

syspreperror.jpg

I installed windows many times and then tried to generalize it before capture but same error :(.

it gives error at "starting services" phase, which service causing this error? any idea?

X64 here

I'm not doing /generalize but C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sysprep is an empty folder

mine fails running from a cmd file but if I paste in an Admin cmd prompt it does as expected

%WINDIR%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /quiet /oobe /reboot /unattend:H:\OOBEAudit.xml

still working on elevating my cmd file prompt.

Edited by maxXPsoft

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm getting this error too! Using Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (OEM System Builder Pack) p/n X15-46015-01. This was an install off the CD, not using an unattend, and attempting to run Sysprep /OOBE /Shutdown. Nothing special here. This is my first time installing Ultimate, have done 3 Home Premium x64 without a problem.

The Panther logs are showing two sets of infos:

an hr=0x80070020 (ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION)

gle=0x20 (KERNEL_APC_PENDING_DURING-EXIT)

and

dwret= -2147024864

gle=0x20

So I am not doing anything with images or generalizing. All that is done is install the OS, then install the Windows 7 drivers (for Intel DG45ID) and no additional software. :unsure:

However, I went into services and STOPPED the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service, and then set its start-up state to Manual. It was able to sysprep the computer without an error.