Windows 7 x64 vLite "extreme removal"

Jeronimo

Sorry for late reply. I'm running windows 7 Ultimate x64 I get the error towards the end of the installation saying it couldn't configure some services and stuff. The removal.bat I use is attached to this post :)

you are using Ultimate and check this, it is in your batch file

REM Image Index (pre-vLite: 1 HomeStarter, 2 Home Premium, 3 Professional, 4 Ultimate)
set II=2

Edited by awalraja

Yep, thats in there :) Here is the first part of the .bat

REM Initialising environment variables (check for your usage)

REM ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

REM Windows codebase: amd64 or x86

set cb=amd64

REM Windows 7 build

set build=7600

REM Sub version

set svn=16385

REM Pre-part (the same for all Windows 7 builds?)

set pre=31bf3856ad364e35

REM Image Index (pre-vLite: 1 HomeStarter, 2 Home Premium, 3 Professional, 4 Ultimate)

set II=2

REM Image edition (H for HomePremium, P for Professional or U for Ultimate/Enterprise)

set edition=U

set PATH=%PATH%;%cd%

set version=6.1.%build%.%svn%

set IEver=8.0.%build%.%svn%

Finally, a working vlited x86 win 7.

iso size 1.1g

install size 3.2g. including 1.0g pagefile.

This is the best I can do.

The only problem is that I have to take ownership of winsxs to do cleanup step.

After installation, the owner of winsxs folder is not TrustedInstaller anymore, but some strange string, which is not surprising because the owner doesn't exist any more.

However, windows update works well. I will try install it on real machine later.

Haha now I see my issue :P awalraja just rubbed it in my face and I didn't notice :P I'm on ultimate not home premium, So Where II = 2, 2 = Home Premium so I need to make II = 4 because 4 = Ultimate .

And I will follow dcatcher's advice to take ownership of the winsxs folder. By the way what is the file location for the winsxs folder ??

Edited by Junior2613

@Jedi-to-be: Should work right away, although you might get some errors on none removable packages and non-existing files. For drivers see the removal.bat and remove the appropriate sections. With my guide you would not need Windows features anymore, that is part of the idea. What I would like to know about the N-edition is weither you can use the IE-tab plugin within Firefox. If so I would most definetely want that one. I know what it is supposed to be "missing", however I have not heard any news on an N-edition for Windows 7, only on the E-edition with the Browser-selection.

@awalraja/Junior2613: with the old removal.bat yes, but see the new one, use edition.

@dcatcher: I have heard others before about this, but the only issues I am having with access denied is with the folders under Users\Public\Documents. I have no UAC activated, so I need not use the elevated prompt, not usre if that might be an issue.

Edited by Jeronimo

@Jeronimo, this is strange. I run removal.bat on windows 7 x86, and vlite the image on windows server 2003 x86 then back into windows 7 to do cleanup. Both os have no UAC.

I can delete Users\Public\*.* with no problem, only those in winsxs folder must be taken care of.

One more thing, I use only dism to mount and remove packages.

@Jedi-to-be: wow that are 29 packages less out of the box and still the IE package related to html-support present. WOuld love to get my hands on that version

@dcatcher: I only tried x64 with imagex under Windows 7, I could include an ownership of the files if it is just winsxs try adding the following just after mount of image under cleanup:

takeown /f "%mount%\Windows\winsxs\Manifests\*" >nul
takeown /f "%mount%\Windows\winsxs\%cb%_*" /r >nul
icacls "%mount%\Windows\winsxs\Manifests\*" /grant Administrators:F /q >nul
icacls "%mount%\Windows\winsxs\%cb%_*" /grant Administrators:F /q /t >nul

This might take quite a bit more time, but check if this resolves your issues. I might ad it as an option later on.

Edited by Jeronimo

I'm currently running the whole guide again with the new removal.bat and other files. I have changed the edition to ultimate and I will run vlite with Jeronimo's Stock Preset to make sure I don't get ahead of myself :) I also added the takeownership instruction from Jeronimo and placed it in the correct part of the .bat :) .

Only one error so far when it tried to remove the internet explorer optionals package.

@Jedi-to-be: the tweak needs to be run only once per image id and judging by the short time it runs I doubt it handles access for all files. However with the commands I gave you the files in winsxs are made available, I thought this was the issue you and dcatcher had. If you can provide more explicit information on which files (or folders) give access denied, then I can provide a better solution (or use the commands on the complete image). Do this without my previous solution, because I would like to know which folders are an issue, for the sake of performance and reliability I do not want to handle every file/folder in the image.