Windows 7 x64 vLite "extreme removal"

Jeronimo

Yeah I seem to get the same error towards the end of the install as dcatcher. At first I thought I did something wrong in VMware. I will try vlite again without removing any services and only components and stuffs :) . Any tips here Jeronimo ??

@dcatcher/Junior2613: what Windows edition are you performing this on?

I do not know which packages you keep (do not remove), maybe this is the reason without more information I can not tell: for instance do you keep the Snipping Tool package and remove Game Explorer with vLite, then this could be the reason?

I do not know which packages you keep (do not remove), maybe this is the reason without more information I can not tell: for instance do you keep the Snipping Tool package and remove Game Explorer with vLite, then this could be the reason?

I am using HomePremium.

I do remove snipping tools and game explorer. I attach the modified removal.bat here.

A different is that many packages comes with two version: en-US and neutral. I remove them both instead of just en-US as in the original removal.bat file.

I tried using the default setting for service and the error remains...

removal.bat.txt

Last_Session.ini

Edited by dcatcher

i faced that error when i changed any of the services' startup type, i stopped doing that and it worked fine for me since then.

but i've another question . i didn't want to remove windows picture viewer and media player, but when i try to use them i get the errors "picture printing is not available without the desktop experience feature" and "the program can't start coz MF.dll is missing from your computer. try reinstalling the program to fix this problem" respectively. can anyone tell me which removed component is causing this?

I am using HomePremium.

I do remove snipping tools and game explorer. I attach the modified removal.bat here.

A different is that many packages comes with two version: en-US and neutral. I remove them both instead of just en-US as in the original removal.bat file.

I tried using the default setting for service and the error remains...

It seem that I find the problem.

using Dism /Get-WIMInfo /WimFile:e:\iso\sources\install.wim to get the index of home premium:

Index : 1

Name : Windows 7 STARTER

Description : Windows 7 STARTER

Size : 7,936,340,784 bytes

Index : 2

Name : Windows 7 HOMEBASIC

Description : Windows 7 HOMEBASIC

Size : 7,992,394,907 bytes

Index : 3

Name : Windows 7 HOMEPREMIUM

Description : Windows 7 HOMEPREMIUM

Size : 8,432,859,356 bytes

Index : 4

Name : Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL

Description : Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL

Size : 8,313,318,889 bytes

Index : 5

Name : Windows 7 ULTIMATE

Description : Windows 7 ULTIMATE

Size : 8,471,060,645 bytes

So, index 2 is actually homebasic in the original removal.bat for my situation.

I suggest using /Name:"Windows 7 HOMEPREMIUM" option instead of /Index, for example:

Dism /Mount-WIM /WimFile:C:\test\images\install.wim> /Name:"Windows 7 HomeBasic" /MountDir:C:\test\offline>

Different image can have different indexes.

I will keep my status updated....right now I am rebuilding...

@dcatcher: do not remove the language packages, they are automatically removed when you remove a component. Do not use dism to mount the image as it does not work properly in combination with install wim tweak. Finally the index is indeed not handy, I will try and change it to use the edition.

Also the language code is for seondary languages only not for primary en-US, this might break it as well.

but i've another question . i didn't want to remove windows picture viewer and media player, but when i try to use them i get the errors "picture printing is not available without the desktop experience feature" and "the program can't start coz MF.dll is missing from your computer. try reinstalling the program to fix this problem" respectively. can anyone tell me which removed component is causing this?

any help on this problem? jeronimo, anyone :(

@awalraja: mentioning of files required means you add files to the "protect files" in vLite yourself. Windows picture viewer was also broken for me, I could not find out what component or pacakge it was and as I have a good enough replacement (IrfanView) I let it go. For Windows Media Player I use Media Player Classic Home Cinema (although others prefer mplayerc, VLC).

@awalraja: mentioning of files required means you add files to the "protect files" in vLite yourself. Windows picture viewer was also broken for me, I could not find out what component or pacakge it was and as I have a good enough replacement (IrfanView) I let it go. For Windows Media Player I use Media Player Classic Home Cinema (although others prefer mplayerc, VLC).

ok, thanks for the info. i also prefer VLC player, but i keep media player as secondary option. anyway, i'll try to solve the issues myself if no further information is available.

@dcatcher: do not remove the language packages, they are automatically removed when you remove a component. Do not use dism to mount the image as it does not work properly in combination with install wim tweak. Finally the index is indeed not handy, I will try and change it to use the edition.

Also the language code is for seondary languages only not for primary en-US, this might break it as well.

Thanks for the advice, Jeronimo!

By the way, what's the problem with dism and install_wim_tweak, it works well here and I don't notice anything wrong.

After correcting the index problem, the installation goes all right. But the NAT network in virtualbox is not working. and all search boxes are missing too. I definitedly removed too much. I will start over again.

Jeronimo

Now I have instal.wim within UltimateN 7600.16385 x86. It has the one and only index 1. Please, give a guide, how to remove most of drivers (wireless, ATI\Nvidia graphics ando the) from it with help od you stuff. I want to keep only storage controlers and universal drivers for videoadapters.

Edited by Jedi-to-be

@awalraja: mentioning of files required means you add files to the "protect files" in vLite yourself. Windows picture viewer was also broken for me, I could not find out what component or pacakge it was

i found it, it was caused by "PhotoPremiumPackage".