"Standalone" fans - powered by what?

GrofLuigi

I want to place some fans on strategic locations around my equipment - not directly connected to anything, just floating around (and planning to expand this with vent pipes). I couldn't find any small fans (independently powered, as in room fans) to buy that would suit me. I have many spare computer fans (from PSUs or bought as spare) that would be perfect, but I am not sure how to power them for 24/7 operation.

Incidently, I don't have any spare computer PSUs currently (I can find some) but I have a bunch of (very) small power adapters for small devices. Either with them, or with a computer PSU, the main question is:

Is it safe to leave them on all the time just connected to 12 V or a resistor/something is needed? I don't want to start a fire when I'm not at home. :o

Thank you for any insights.

GL

What would work (and look) the best really depends on what exactly you are needing to cool, I cant really picture

what you are faced with. But, ripken204 has a good idea, also, if you had an available native usb port you could

get a usb hub and use it to power a few fans. Again, it all depends on what kind of CFMs you need to create to

keep this equipment cool.

There are available battery packs that make use of those large flashlight type batteries and the case may have an

AC or DC port for plugging in an appropriate device. The packs can be charged by plugging them in and when you

leave you move to battery power. Again, how much wind you need to create is a critical detail - IMO.

ripken204: Let's say I start with one. Wouldn't it be overkill for a PSU to power just one small load (not as in efficiency, but as in - insufficient voltage drop and the voltage stays high all the time? Not to mention the wire trick for jumpstarting it.) On the other hand, I have melted some small power adapters by connecting a flashlight bulb to them (too hungry consumer, I know...)

gUiTaR_mIkE: how much airflow - not much, just to get it started. :) No air is moving in this heat here. :angry:

on USB hubs: for example, this won't start if connected to a hub that is only powered on and disconnected from a computer. :blink: Anyway, the hub's adapter is way too small - I have larger ones.

I plan to move this fan (OK, it's one for starters) around as needed - over the TV, monitor (both CRT), amplifier... they are all very hot to the touch. Later maybe each gets its own fan and another (bigger) one pulls towards the window.

(The computers are fine, but the fan could aid the laptop too).

GL

Edited by GrofLuigi

No air is moving in this heat here.

Can you exhaust the heat from within the room by using a small window fan drawing the air out of the room, otherwise you will only

be circulating hot air???

I'll give you an example, my room can get warm even with the AC on 78 degrees, around 83 degrees (my PC temps rise about the same,

about 4 degrees or more), but if I crack my window and allow the air to escape my room I can get the room back to about 78 degrees just

by exhausting the hot air.

Edited by gUiTaR_mIkE

I am confused as hell right now.

Do you want to use computer fans or household fans?

And do you want them to cool your computer or your room? This whole moving fans around thing makes no sense.

If you want to move a fan around the room then get a household fan.

If you want to put a fan in your computer then get a computer fan.

Yeah, exhaust is planned. Right now it's a big household fan, but I'm still reluctant to put it on the window to blow outwards (it would look soo stupid, wouldn't it? :P )

But never mind the implementation, my question was about leaving computer fans powered 24/7 without any resistor (or control circuit).

GL