I built a new Rig but need help from a Pro/somebody who knows

mniceguy81

Hi everybody, i know i have been away long and i need some help with a new rig that i just built.

1.Do i need to overclock it because everybody is doing at the moment like it's new fashion on the block. how do i do that with Asus P5Q please document for me i'm good at instructions. :blushing:

2.Hard disks - do i get a SSD or Velociraptor for OS (Windows XP Pro 32/64) or Windows 7 RTM or no point at all (i need it because the 74GB raptor makes noises when writing and reading does Velociraptor do that too and if i get SSD HDD will it die fast) The whole point is Windows 7 Windows Experience Index (WEI) rated everything at 7.1 except my HDD 5.1.

My Rig is as follows - :rolleyes:

CPU - Intel Quad Core 3.0Ghz Q9650

Fan - ZALMAN CNPS9500A-LED

Motherboard - Asus P5Q

Memory - 2 X = 8GB CORSAIR Dominator DHX TWIN2X4096-8500C5D PC2-8500(1066) 4GB Kit 5-5-5-15 240pin

HDD -

1. 74GB - WD Raptor - Windows 7 OS

2. 500GB - WD

3. 500GB - Maxtor

4. 1TB - Seagate

5. 1TB - Seagate Not sure if it's dead or not

6. 300GB x 2 - Seagate Raid Super Speed - Asus Drivexpert

Graphic card - ASUS ENGTX275/HTDI GeForce GTX275 896MB 2xDVI HDTV HDCP

Power Supply - 850wts Corsair TX850W

Sound card - Creative Audigy 2 Platinum Zs Ex

Case - Thermaltake Kandalf VA9000 with 5 fans 2x Front 120mm Intake (Blue LED), Rear 120mm Exhaust (Blue LED), 90mm Exhaust & Top Mounted 90mm Exhaust.

Thank you for your help.

Edited by mniceguy81

1. no real need to and i would not suggest doing so unless you are already familiar with overclocking, or if you want to take the time to research it

2. neither. also, the only OS that "supports" SSD is windows 7 and i highly recommend windows 7. and the rating does not mean much, HHDs are locked around 6.1 or so and you need SSDs to go higher. We do not know how SSDs will last. You will need at least a 64GB one though with windows 7 on it, unless you only want the OS on it then you can get a 32GB one. if you are willing to pay the price then go for it but you really do not need one. Do you need storage space at all?

Do i need to overclock it because everybody is doing at the moment like it's new fashion on the block. how do i do that with Asus P5Q please document for me i'm good at instructions. :blushing:

Of course you don't need to overclock it. Most people who overclock do it for cost savings (like my old $75 CPU which OC'ed faster than CPUs that were $300+ at the time). Since you bought a $320 CPU, it doesn't sound like you're exactly strapped for cash. But if your Q9650 is too slow for whatever you're doing, then you can look into overclocking.

if Overclocking shortens the life of the pc so that means i don't need one.

Overclocking done right (not running at crazy high voltages or temps) doesn't. Either ways, it'll be obsolete long before it fails, regardless of what you do.

Sorry to bother you CoffeeFiend, would you help me choose the setting for my rig to overclock please, i'm not a newbie to build machines and troubleshoot but i'm not good with overclock because i need a guide and setting for my producty and last thing is where to put the on my board :thumbup

There's no universal settings that one can give you. Ideal settings will vary depending on the particular motherboard used, chipset on the said board, revision of the BIOS on the said motherboard, which CPU (and particular revision of it) used, which heat sink (never seen or head of yours) and how it's installed, which particular RAM and so on. There's just WAY too many factors.

You have to know what you're doing, and try things gradually. You'll actually have to read up. Some people manage to OC it around 4GHz (it's 3GHz stock), that would make it as fast as a Core i7 920.

Like it has been said, overclocking is optional :hello:

It can reap performance benefits, however it also uses more power (although often power-performance efficiency will be greater) and creates more heat as well as other problems. But in this day with modern CPU's OCing is pretty safe. Read a few guides on websites about how to overclock and just start off small (take it from 3GHz to say 3.2GHz just to try out overclocking then aim higher like 3.5GHz).

Edited by Zenskas

Thanks everyone for the reply but i'm stuck at the moment about finding a good site to learn from or a sticky.

Here is a great guide on how to overclock and then test core 2 duo's and quad's.

Even this wikipedia page is useful and has numerous links at the bottom of the page for extra info.

also, the only OS that "supports" SSD is windows 7 and i highly recommend windows 7.

You don't need operating system support to use SSDs. He could very well use Windows Vista or any operating system with SSDs for the same performance gains. Windows 7 is simply SSD "aware" and optimizes certain things like turning off automatic disk defragmentation.

and the rating does not mean much, HHDs are locked around 6.1 or so and you need SSDs to go higher.

Hard drives are not locked at 6.1. And you don't need SSDs to go higher. SSDs just make it easier. The Windows Experience Index is purely based on the metric results calculated from the tests it runs. It just happens to be that the current generation of hard drives usually achieve those scores. My 2 x 640GB Western Digital 32MB 7200 SATA drives easily achieve 6.2 in RAID 0.

post-27580-1249279858_thumb.png

I said that "supports" SSDs. not that it is the only OS that can use it.I

It is the Windows 7 is optimized as I said, it will perform faster and live longer according to reviews/benchmarks.

And your rating is 6.2, I said "6.1 or so"..

Try getting higher than that, you do need SSDs or some sort of RAM based device to so.

There is no sense in talking about future HDDs since they are not out yet and there are none that are promised to be much better than what we currently have.