GDI Heap Extender

Graphic trashup in Opera : Gone.

Gimp 2.4 series crash on launch : Fixed.

Gimp 2.6.6 crash on launch : Still there albeit not in gdi.exe anymore and it is the GDI heap expander that appears to be the responsable. Other RP components don't seem to affect that.

Alpha 4

- Fixed <theoretical> problem with restoring DC corrupting GDI (Chozo4?);

- Fixed improper handle validation code causing crash in thunk (Gimp 2.6).

Download:

http://tihiy.ahanix.org/rpXalpha4.zip

Alpha 4 installs on top of latest RP9 (RP9.1.0) and replaces existing RP9 "GDI Salvation" techologies.

Extract zip somewhere, right-click on .inf file and select "Install".

You can turn GDI Heap Extender on/off from RPConfig (it replaces GDI Salvation technologies).

[only rp10.dll was changed since alpha 2]

Uninstall with RP9 or by installing RP9 back on top.

In this build, i'm hunting for:

- Locks/glitches. Test it well! I hope this build can be called "stable".

To ensure GDI_HX is the source of problems, disable 32-bit icons / delete comctlv8.dll

There are known possible system shutdown problems.

Edited by Tihiy

Meanwhile, i've compiled version which expands heap for all bitmap types and that made GDI heap JUGGERNAUT.

If Alpha 4 will be OK, expect Beta 0 which will make pain in your fingers trying to leak all resources by minimizing / maximizing Process Explorer. :thumbup

Ugh, still the same issue here Tihiy. :(

I found the source (in my case) however. Opening winamp then closing (v2.95 or 5.54, regardless of version) even without plugins causes the crash for other applications thereafter. Using notepad or other interaction with certain applications produce the issue. Ignoring the 16-bit (white box) errors with notepad causes a final failure in user.exe.

Alpha2 from what it seems does not exhibit this issue.

What p***es me off though is I cannot replicate this in my Win98-VM but can on the host. Perhaps a GDI issue related to Nvidia Cards/Drivers? I tried different driver versions and even tried differing versions of GDI.exe and GDI32.dll to no avail.

Edited by Chozo4

As a stress test I have been running Winamp 5.35 with AVS vizualisations on in desktop overlay mode for nearly two hours, regularly changing the Winamp skins, all the while I was browsing the web in Opera, reading my emails and experimented running photoshop plugins in the Gimp through the PSPI adapter. No a single problem occured.

I am thinking it could well be down to your nVidia drivers as I am recalling a period when I had seriously nasty issues with Winamp taking the entire system down. Only reinstalling the graphic card drivers fixed it and Winamp was the only app affected by that problem so perhaps it would be worth trying reinstalling your drivers and see if it fixes anything. I have a Geforce FX 52000 and the drivers I am using are version 81.98 I think.

I've tried the latest and older drivers. Currently stuck using a Geforce 4000mx (my old workhorse) and tried 81.98, 82.16, and even as far as the 4x.xx,5xx,etc builds hoping one of them worked.. same issue. Currently using 61.76 now though since it's the last driver to support hardware assisted v1.1 Vertex Shading for the g17/18 cores.

Just odd it only happened with alpha3+ as it never gave me issues with prior versions (having no issues with alpha2 right now). I'll do a reinstall of windows tomorrow as it's getting rather late and see what the results are afterward.

Edited by Chozo4

No, wait, by reinstalling OS you will cease my ability to fix the.

I'll try to replicate your system by installing your versions of system files and programs.

If it crashes after app exit, i could think of heap optimizer bug - but it wasn't changed since Alpha 2;

what changed in alpha 3 - resource cleanup (which is too no-brainer to crash now) and fix for restoredc, but it can't corrupt anything now (unless something was already corrupted).

GDI Heap Extender - Testing Alpha4

Using:

Windows 98SE

KernelEx 4.0 Final

RP 9.1.0

Internet Explorer 6 SP1

Firefox 3.5.1

Java 6 Update 14

Flash 10.0.32.18 ActiveX and Plugin

Graphically busy test sites used concurrently (in tabs on Firefox):

microsoft.com

msfn.org

symantec.com

avast.com

adobe.com

ibm.com

lenovo.com

amazon.com

ebay.com

mozilla.com

creative.com

Results for Internet Explorer:

Start GDI: 97%

With GDI Ext: 26% (95% after close :unsure: )

Without GDI Ext: 7% (87% after close :} )

(Windows 90% plus critical resource usage message and missing graphics on some pages)

Results for Firefox (nice demonstration with effectiveness of tabs):

Starting GDI: 97%

With GDI Ext: 83% (97% after close - :) )

Without GDI Ext: 79% (97% after close - :) )

Tests done multiple times with consistent results.

Generally stable. Internet Explorer is faster especially with multiple sessions open.

But seriously! Look at the pathetic resource drain with IE6 compared to FF35!

No problems with restarts. Haven't tried a shutdown.

Beta 0 JUGGERNAUT

http://tihiy.ahanix.org/rpXbeta0.zip

In fact, it can't be beta since it's no stable than alpha; however it's 'feature complete' for now.

I'm leaving for vacation and I wish source of problems with Alpha 4 will be found.

I'll also be looking into Flash issue (which is not bitmap but font leak).

Known issues :unsure:

* shutdown issues

* display bitdepth change issues [new]

Edited by Tihiy