Dell Inspiron 2200 - Bad Onboard RAM

Redhatcc

I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop that tested to have bad ram. When i removed the cover on the bottom of the laptop where you would install the ram it had one, empty slot. I removed the keyboard to look on top of the mainboard to see if the ram was there and nothing. So if the ram that came with the laptop is built onboard and is bad, does that mean get another motherboard for the laptop or is there other hope?

Some website I found had this to say:

Memory Upgrade for Dell Inspiron 2200 Laptop, the Dell Inspiron 2200 Laptop takes the PC2700 DDR SDRAM SODIMMs. Memory Type, and comes installed with 256 MB (non-removable) of Memory. You can upgrade your Dell Inspiron 2200 Laptop to up to a maximum of 1280 MB Memory, the system has 1 socket to install Memory, already with 256 MB (non-removable) standard Memory installed. For best Laptop performance use the maximum amount of allowed Memory per slot for your Laptop.

Emphasis added by myself.

ah so no luck on getting the laptop to work. might have to look into another motherboard.

In some cases it may be cheaper to get a whole new system, or if its an older unit, perhaps another of the same model.

The MSI Wind U100 has a full 1GB of DDR2 667MHz onboard RAM that takes on a 24% OC with ease! You can however disable the onboard memory in the BIOS. You could try that.

Edited by Zenskas

You can however disable the onboard memory in the BIOS. You could try that.

I was hoping that maybe i was overlooking something and could disable the onboard ram and just run the added memory, but i think the system might have came before the time of being able to do that. I will take another good look and see if i overlooked anything...

The MSI Wind U100 has a full 1GB of DDR2 667MHz onboard RAM that takes on a 24% OC with ease! You can however disable the onboard memory in the BIOS. You could try that.

Nope, the U100 comes with 2GB RAM, but its SODIMM. You can replace it if it goes bad. Unless you have some weird one thats different than what I use. I've got the MS-N0111X-044US (9S7-N01162-044), which is the barebone model. Perhaps the retail model (MSI sells retail and bareboard versions of all their mobile and integrator products) has this built in? Everything on mine (I have 3 atm) is replaceable, even the CPU. I would never actually replace anything if it went bad, because I could just RMA the whole thing.

But you know what? I'm gonna take a look at mine and see for sure.

EDIT: Hey sorry Zenskas, you are correct. That really sucks and I didn't know that before. I took mine apart and took a look myself. So I gotta go get this knowledge out to the dudes in sales. :blushing:

Yeah you probably got one with a free RAM upgrade to 2GB and they just threw a 2GB module in then disabled the onboard RAM.

Its possible. I have some eval ones from MSI, but they are totally unbranded. They are made for private label. I still like the EEE PC better tho.