Remote Desktop behind a router

bookie32

Hi guys :hello:

I am back with another little project to try and get up and running. I live in Sweden and my parents in Spain. I will be visiting them at Christmas and would like to set up their computer for remote desktop and be able to control it here in Sweden.

I have the possibility of connecting to them via Vista or XP. I would like to test remote desktop here in Sweden before travelling to Spain and forget a setting on their computer.... :blushing:

I have my mother in law local to me and would like to set up her computer as a test to get some experience. She has Vista Ultimate and is behind a D-Link 524 cordless router.

I have, as said, Vista Business or XP to choose from and they are on a home network behind Smoothwall as my firewall.

I can obvioulsly change my firewall to about anything that is available.

I don't mind reading as you know and would like some pointers in the right direction if there is anyone that has the time.

Can someone get me going on this....might get it working before I visit my parents at Christmas....LOL

bookie32

Hi gamehead200 WOW!! can't keep up with you guys...LOL Thanks for the info will get back to you. That could sort out my firewall ....router and remote desktop left :thumbup

bookie32

Hi guys....Wow!!! LogMeIn is easy peasy to set up. Wonder if I can get my parents to install it on their computer...LOL. Not easy with the oldies.

I am impressed!!

Thanks for your help.

bookie32

LogMeIn works great, but an alternative for slightly more flexibility would be to use Hamachi (by the same people) to create a virtual network. From there you can use the built-in Remote Desktop functionality, and/or connect by whatever means you wish. Hamachi isn't required for the plain LogMeIn to work, but I prefer it. :)