AutoUnattend.xml has no effect

Hello,

I'm trying to change some default folder locations. So I created an AutoUnattend.xml that I put on a usb flash disk. The xml file is parsed because when I leave out e.g. the last line I get an error during the installation.

However, it doesn't seem to have any effect. After the installation, neither of both folder locations have changed. What am I doing wrong?

Note: the D-partition exists and it has a folder named Users.

tia

chris

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
<settings pass="oobeSystem">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<FolderLocations>
<ProfilesDirectory>D:\Users</ProfilesDirectory>
<ProgramData>C:\progjes</ProgramData>
</FolderLocations>
</component>
</settings>
<cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim:d:/install.wim#Windows Vista ENTERPRISE" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
</unattend>

Welcome to the MSFN!

:hello:

I am hoping you read the Unattended Windows Setup Reference CHM. I have some questions based on that info.

1. Is the D: formatted NTFS?

2. Does the D: have another OS on it?

Also note:

These settings should be used only in a test environment. By changing the default location of the user profile directories or program data folders to a volume other than the System volume, you will not be able to service your Windows installation. Any updates, fixes, or service packs will fail to be applied to the installation. Microsoft does not recommend that you change the location of the user profile directories or program data folders.

Using ProfilesDirectory to redirect folders to a drive other than the system volume blocks upgrades. Using ProfilesDirectory to point to a directory that is not the system volume will block SKU upgrades and upgrades to future versions of Windows. For example if you use Windows Vista Home Premium with ProfilesDirectory set to D:\, you will not be able to upgrade to Windows Vista Ultimate or to the next version of Windows. The servicing stack does not handle cross-volume transactions, and it blocks upgrades.

For ProgramData, do not use c:, use %SYSTEMDRIVE%

I had the same problem with my autounattend.xml and windows 7 installing from my 4 gb usb hdd, I tried everything from applying the .xml to my mounted image using dism and putting/naming the .xml everywhere & everything

I finally solved this by mounting boot.wim index 2 (the one with setup.exe) and adding the .xml to it...this way for sure it will take

Edited by ricktendo64

Thanks for your reply.

D is indeed formatted NTFS and has no other OS. It is on a dual boot / triple partition system, though (XP installed on partition 1 with Documents ad settings on partition 3, now installing Vista on partition 2 with Users on partition 3).

The line to change the location of the Programs folder was just added for testing purposes (to see if any of the FolderLocations was changed); I don't intend to do that in my final xml file.

I am aware of the possible issues when changing the profiles path. But for our class rooms we are desperately seeking for a system where we can easily restore OS partitions from an image without losing the profiles.

chris

I am quite new into unattended installs and wasn't planning to spend much time at it. However, it seems that I'll have to dig deeper into this stuff to make it work.

Thanks for the suggestion but we don't have a domain for our classroom pc's and we have about 25 different accounts (1 for each course) that we create on all pc's.

• 2 weeks later...
Welcome to the MSFN!

:hello:

I am hoping you read the Unattended Windows Setup Reference CHM. I have some questions based on that info.

1. Is the D: formatted NTFS?

2. Does the D: have another OS on it?

Also note:

These settings should be used only in a test environment. By changing the default location of the user profile directories or program data folders to a volume other than the System volume, you will not be able to service your Windows installation. Any updates, fixes, or service packs will fail to be applied to the installation. Microsoft does not recommend that you change the location of the user profile directories or program data folders.

Using ProfilesDirectory to redirect folders to a drive other than the system volume blocks upgrades. Using ProfilesDirectory to point to a directory that is not the system volume will block SKU upgrades and upgrades to future versions of Windows. For example if you use Windows Vista Home Premium with ProfilesDirectory set to D:\, you will not be able to upgrade to Windows Vista Ultimate or to the next version of Windows. The servicing stack does not handle cross-volume transactions, and it blocks upgrades.

For ProgramData, do not use c:, use %SYSTEMDRIVE%

So basicly it is not recommended to change the location of the above folders. But is the same rule applyes to Program Files ?

If not, how can i set its location via autounattend.xml?