Laptop to Desktop?

HowdyDoody

What do I need to fill in in unattended-Owner and Network ID? I have 'computer name', 'Full Name', 'Work Group', 'Organization'?' Under 'Domain' I have 'Domain name', 'User name', and 'password'. I guess that would be my ISP information for logon.

I don't have a clue as to Networking!

What do I need to fill in in unattended-Owner and Network ID? I have 'computer name', 'Full Name', 'Work Group', 'Organization'?' Under 'Domain' I have 'Domain name', 'User name', and 'password'. I guess that would be my ISP information for logon.

I don't have a clue as to Networking!

You can add anything you want, as long as you add the same workgroup (or domain) name for your computers.

the easiest way to connect 2 computers is with a LAN (RJ-45) cable and make sure both computers have IP addresses of the same class (e.g. 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2; subnet 255.255.255.0). if it requires a username and passowrd, enter them.

the easiest way to connect 2 computers is with a LAN (RJ-45) cable and make sure both computers have IP addresses of the same class (e.g. 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2; subnet 255.255.255.0). if it requires a username and passowrd, enter them.

Of course you need a "cross-over cable" if you are not using a hub, as opposed to a "normal" "straight cable":

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/ethernetcables.html

jaclaz

I have an RJ-45(5e) cable. I thought this would be a simple undertaking, but it looks like I need to do a major study. I saw something on eBay that just plugged into a USB. I wish I remembered what it was.

If you are thinking of wireless networking, that's also possible, but the principle with the IP addresses is the same.

There are small USB sticks that receive wireless network signals, and look just like flash drives. A lot of companies produce them, like THIS for example. But simple cable connection is much easier than setting up wireless networks.