Placing fans

HawkAgent

Hello,

In order to replace some hardware components I had to unmount both of my case fans, one on the rear of the case, the other one is mounted on the heatsink of the CPU. I remounted both fans, however I forgot which jumpers to connect to. The manual of my motherboard tells me I have three connectors to choose of: CPU_FAN, SYS_FAN (both 4 pin connectors) and PWR_FAN (3 pin connector). Which fan belongs to which jumper?

Thank you in advance.

edit: Also, do I have to connect the fans to the power supply if already connected to the motherboard?

Edited by HawkAgent

The CPU Fan obviously connects to CPU_FAN. As far as the other one, I don't think it matters. All three fan pin blocks should be powered when the computer turns on. Those inputs will match the respective listing in the BIOS if you look at the monitoring page. The CPU fan should go the CPU_FAN. If the BIOS is set up to control fan speed, it can change the speed of them at different temperature threshholds. it is important for the CPU fan. The other ones likely operate much the same in comparison to each other.

For the case fan, connect it to the pin-block that has the same amount of pins as the connector.

In the future, I recommend you note which pinblocks you disconnect from to make it easier later.

And the motherboard supplies the power to the fans. There are some cases where the fan has a molex connector (some high-powered fans) but if you didn't use this setup before, you shouldn't have to use it now.

Video card temperature is going to be hot. Do you have a fan on your video card also? It wouldn't hurt to add a 3rd case fan in there since you have an extra plug available. CPU temp is kinda warm but isn't horrible. Just keep it under 70c. :lol: Also seeing how CPU and GPU temps are the same, another reason why I wouldn't trust this programs readings. See what the BIOS says.

Also, I'm not sure about those voltage readings, you can double check those numbers (and the temps) with what the BIOS says if it has that info. I don't know why it is reading the +/- 12V as such weird values... Also why Temp3 is -1c...

• 2 weeks later...
CPU temp is kinda warm but isn't horrible. Just keep it under 70c. :lol: Also seeing how CPU and GPU temps are the same, another reason why I wouldn't trust this programs readings.
It's horrible, note that the CPU has almost no load there and it's not even OCed. I would say that it should be 20oC less.