Systems Slows Down as I work (Is it Due to Streaming Audio)

DreamSkape

Hi,

Most of the time, I am online working. As a music and to keep the loneliless at bay (I work alone from home, mostly all night), I keep the Internet Radio from IN.com turned on. But after two or three hours of constant streaming/working, the system almost stops responding. Is it due to the Internet Radio or is there any other problem. I have to restart the system using the Power Button. Normal Shutdowns hang often in such case.

But the problem does not occur when I run music from PZ10.com. They are not streaming Radio. I have not tried any other Radio Stations.

The system becomes so slow that even the FREERAM XP Pro too does not function. Can you please tell me reason for the problem? It is related to memory I guess. But when I check the CPU usage on the Task Manager (it opens somehow), the usage is around 20 to 30 per cent. I am not able to check the RAM usage as the FREERAM won't work.

Please suggest something.

Thanking you,

--

Regards,

DreamSkape

Signed: Sunday, April 19, 2009, 11:52:01 PM IST

Memory defragmenters make no difference, RAM has a constant access time. In fact these programs just waste memory.

If your system is freezing without a BSOD then there is probably a hardware fault; likely overheating.

I am sorry but I could not understand the term "BSOD". Also, does this mean that the streaming audio has nothing to do with system freezing?

Thanks.

--

Regards,

DreamSkape

Signed: Monday, April 20, 2009, 1:21:40 AM IST

BSOD is an acronym for "Blue Screen Of Death"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Screen_of_Death

What are the system specs for the machine?

What web browser or program are you using to listen to the streaming music?

When you say 'almost stops responding' you mean you can still move the mouse around etc, but it will not shutdown?

Try opening Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Exc) and going to the Processes and Performance tabs.

BSOD is an acronym for "Blue Screen Of Death"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Screen_of_Death

What are the system specs for the machine?

What web browser or program are you using to listen to the streaming music?

When you say 'almost stops responding' you mean you can still move the mouse around etc, but it will not shutdown?

Try opening Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Exc) and going to the Processes and Performance tabs.

Yes I am able to move the mouse but the applications will not respond. When I try to reboot, it hangs. But surprisingly, the task manager opens though I have to wait a little. Mine is a Compaq Presario V6 with 1GB RAM, 150 GB HDD and 1.60 MHz Celeron Processor. I use IE. I tried google chrome hoping it will help but it failed to launch the Radio Stations, saying Firewall block. I am using Windows One Care on Win XP SP3.

Also, I just checked, I need to get the latest Flash Player version. I will get back after installing the latest version.

Thanks for the response,

--

Regards,

DreamSkape

Signed: Monday, April 20, 2009, 2:14:31 AM IST

Hi,

Just installed the Flash Player 10. Hope the solution works. As I just restarted the laptop, I will check back after two-three hours.

BTW, is it okay to use a laptop contantly for 10 to 12 hours daily continuosly? I mean is it safe or does it decrease the life or create any other problems??

Thanks

--

Regards,

DreamSkape

Signed: Monday, April 20, 2009, 2:32:39 AM IST

BTW, is it okay to use a laptop contantly for 10 to 12 hours daily continuosly? I mean is it safe or does it decrease the life or create any other problems??

It should be safe, as long as it's free of:

1. Overheating

2. Dust

Every device's life is decreased with usage, but the question is at what rate. :)

GL

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a Flash-related problem. You might do better with version 10, but I know I had nothing but problems with Version 9. This is especially true on the Windows 9X stuff I've run, due to resource leaks - if I would run sites with Flash stuff on it long enough, it would fail (usually about 10-15 minutes worth of it).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I noticed something related to the issue. The site IN.com streams audio at 128 kbps. I found another radiostation portal (http://radiostationindia.com/) that has several radio stations streaming audio at different bit rates. I noticed that if I am tuning in to the Radio stations such as Radio Mirchi or Bombay Beats that stream at 20 and 30 kbps respectively, there is no problem at all with the system.

Does that mean that the performance and slowdown of the computer is also related to the bitrate of streaming audio?

--

Regards,

DreamSkape

Signed: Wednesday, April 29, 2009, 12:08:07 AM IST

Hi All,

I noticed something related to the issue. The site IN.com streams audio at 128 kbps. I found another radiostation portal (http://radiostationindia.com/) that has several radio stations streaming audio at different bit rates. I noticed that if I am tuning in to the Radio stations such as Radio Mirchi or Bombay Beats that stream at 20 and 30 kbps respectively, there is no problem at all with the system.

Does that mean that the performance and slowdown of the computer is also related to the bitrate of streaming audio?

--

Regards,

DreamSkape

Signed: Wednesday, April 29, 2009, 12:08:07 AM IST

It might be that the increased streaming speed overflows the buffer in network card driver... Can you update the network card driver, test and report back here?

It might be that the increased streaming speed overflows the buffer in network card driver...

Can you update the network card driver, test and report back here?

Hi,

I updated the driver and tested it on both the portals. The results are same. The performance varies with the bitrate. For 128 Kbps, my system will hang after two-three hours but for a rate of 32Kbps, there is no problem even if I keep tuned in for almost 10 hours... Seems you are correct regarding the ethernet card buffer.

--

Regards,

DreamSkape

Signed: Thursday, April 30, 2009, 2:46:36 PM IST