Adobe Reader won't install in Vista

Hi All,

I have been a user of WPI for quite a while now and it is awesome!

I have run up against an error that I cannot seem to work around.

I am installing Adobe Reader 9 on a clean Vista install. No components were removed. I am using an Auto-It script to do the installation. If I run the script manually, Adobe Reader installs fine. But when I call the script from WPI I get the error message as shown in the attached jpg file. I have also attached my config.js file, and the AutoIt script. There is other software that I am installing that installs with no problem.

Thanks for any help that I can get with this problem!

Regards,

Mike

AutoIt_Script.txt

config.js

post-151183-1239559648_thumb.jpg

CONFIG.JS filename = reader1.exe

Auto-IT Script -

Run("AdbeRdr910_en_US_Std.exe")

Photo says -

Expected Filename = AdbeRdr910_en_US_Std.exe

? Haven't used Auto-IT for some time now, but... where will it Unpack the Installer (the one in Run stmt) file to? Therein lies your problem I believe...

Why would you use an Auto-IT install with WPI anyway?

Hi submix8c,

I have used Auto-It along with WPI for quite a while. They make an awesome combination.

However, during the install process of Adobe Reader there are several button pushes that are needed to complete the install, as can be seen from the script. How would these be accomplished in WPI without Auto-It?

As an aside, do you think that I might need to copy the installer file to the target HD and then run it? I didn't think of that because if I run the script directly, it installs. It only fails when run from WPI.

Regards,

Mike

EDIT Hi submix8c,

You nailed it right on the head!! I rewrote the Auto-It script to copy the script file and the install file to the C:\drive of the target PC, and then run the script from the C:\drive. It installed perfectly.

Thanks for the quick response.

Regards,

Mike

Edited by mikep56

Hi Kels,

I am not at my home PC right now. Please explain these switches to me. Are they in the new WPI but not the 6.4(?)version? My install DVD is with v6.4, and I haven't gotten around to switching over. Are the versions backwards compatible?

Thanks again for a great program!

Regards,

MIke

Hi Kels,

Thanks for the info on the switches.

I thought I tried 7 Zip, WinRar, and the USSF to search for any install switches; I did not find any. How did you go about getting these switches?

Regards,

Mike

Hi Kels,

Thanks for being patient with my dumb-a**!

Regards,

mike

EDIT: Thanks to blinkdt for pointing out to akoop that running the installer with the "/?" switch will not install the product, even though the message in the box would lead you to that conclusion. It did lead me there!

Edited by mikep56

• 3 weeks later...

Solution 1:

Instead of Run("AdbeRdr910_en_US_Std.exe") you have to use Run("AdbeRdr910_en_US_Std.exe", @ScriptDir) because if WPI runs the script the working-directory is not the application directory.

You Script would look like this:

$PID = Run("AdbeRdr910_en_US_Std.exe", @ScriptDir)

WinWaitActive("Adobe Reader 9.1 - Setup", "Click Next to install to this folder, or click Change to install to a different folder.")
ControlClick("Adobe Reader 9.1 - Setup", "&Next >", "Button1")
WinWaitActive("Adobe Reader 9.1 - Setup", "Click Install to begin the installation.")
ControlClick("Adobe Reader 9.1 - Setup", "&Install", "Button1")
WinWaitActive("Adobe Reader 9.1 - Setup", "Setup has successfully installed Adobe Reader 9.1. Click Finish to exit setup.")
ControlClick("Adobe Reader 9.1 - Setup", "&Finish", "Button1")

If ProcessExists($PID) Then ProcessWaitClose($PID)

Solution 2:

Install Acrobat Reader with silent-switches instead of AutoIt.

"path_to_your_file\AdbeRdr910_en_US_Std.exe" /sPB /rs /rps /l /msi"/qb /norestart ALLUSERS=1 EULA_ACCEPT=YES SUPPRESS_APP_LAUNCH=YES"

Al