Help me Configer Gaming PCs

dard_thesorrow

Yes, RAM may drop further, but just how much money would he save buy buying the other 2GB stick later, even if it dropped by 50% (unlikely to happen too soon)? Yes, all of $10 on a $1000+ amount. Big deal. There's no point even bothering.

What is the point of 4GB in a kid's box? I can run every program any non-millionaire kid would want on 2GB or even 1GB RAM so long as the rest of the PC is fast enough.

Nah. Vista (with media center and all) already uses some, then 2 users logged in (each with several apps using over 100MB of RAM)... It routinely hits over 2GB of usage (this box I'm writing this on has a commit charge above 4GB even). The rest is plenty fast for anything we throw at it (dual core CPU, big fast SATA drive, etc). I also use that box now and then. Also, having more RAM is future-proofing. (Millionaire kid? LOL, it's a $300 computer)

Not that I'd start a new net cafe with brand new gaming PCs and then slap on a 8 year old OS on them, but that's just me. Vista x64 rocks :thumbup (Win7 x64 is probably even nicer, just haven't bothered yet)

Feel free to think 4GB is useless, I've seen it make a HUGE difference, even in everyday stuff (I don't play games), and there are plenty of benches saying different than you (and the more knowledgeable members like puntoMX also do recommend it). I'm not going to argue with you over this anymore as it's a waste of time. Especially when we're only talking about a potential savings of like $10.

There is a definite chance RAM will drop in price. It is the current trend so why should it change? Meanwhile I would recommend using Win XP with 2GB then go to 4GB when Windows 7 comes out. Yeah I know Vista ain't all bad if you tweak it but if you tweak XP you CAN get it to run just about any game or standard app on 1GB RAM. Trust me, I have a P3 1Ghz system with just 512MB RAM and it runs XP just as good as the PC in my sig, just any apps and games that have been made in the past few years are slower (obviously) because it is highly tweaked. I can still go on the net with it, play online flash games, play heaps of fun older games on it etc. What is the point of 4GB in a kid's box? I can run every program any non-millionaire kid would want on 2GB or even 1GB RAM so long as the rest of the PC is fast enough. And dual-channel doesn't do much at all.
Not to jump on you or so, but:

Why buy an OS that is from 2002 (SP1, before that I don't count, same with Vista SP1) while you can get better prices on Vista Home Basic X64 with DirectX10, eg. use the "full" potentional of your new hardware?

"In most cases, you'd better off reserving the extra cash for a faster CPU or graphics card, which will give you noticeable speed gains. Likewise, most users won't notice a big difference with more than 2GB, though power users may see some small benefits from jumping to 4GB."
They are talking about XP I hope, if not they should kick out the writer of that... O man...

Actually I have a MINOR disagreement with coffeefiend. I Think if you are going with x86 os'es you really should use Vista or better yet Win7 when it comes out.

As for the disagreement I would say go with 3 gigs ram no more or less. That way you can dual channel 2 x512 and 2x1gb and have no wasted overhead.

Plus the dual channel bonus is really great.

I recently wqent from a pos 1gig ram w\Vista to a much better Vista w\4gigs ram... HUGE BONUS!

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

As for the disagreement I would say go with 3 gigs ram no more or less. That way you can dual channel 2 x512 and 2x1gb and have no wasted overhead.
Check the prices of 512MB, 1GB and 2GB sticks and post back ;).
I Think if you are going with x86 os'es you really should use Vista or better yet Win7 when it comes out.
x64, better in every way besides old stuff that you don't want to run on a public PC ;).

Yes, RAM may drop further, but just how much money would he save buy buying the other 2GB stick later, even if it dropped by 50% (unlikely to happen too soon)? Yes, all of $10 on a $1000+ amount. Big deal. There's no point even bothering.

Nah. Vista (with media center and all) already uses some, then 2 users logged in (each with several apps using over 100MB of RAM)... It routinely hits over 2GB of usage (this box I'm writing this on has a commit charge above 4GB even). The rest is plenty fast for anything we throw at it (dual core CPU, big fast SATA drive, etc). I also use that box now and then. Also, having more RAM is future-proofing. (Millionaire kid? LOL, it's a $300 computer)

Not that I'd start a new net cafe with brand new gaming PCs and then slap on a 8 year old OS on them, but that's just me. Vista x64 rocks :thumbup (Win7 x64 is probably even nicer, just haven't bothered yet)

Feel free to think 4GB is useless, I've seen it make a HUGE difference, even in everyday stuff (I don't play games), and there are plenty of benches saying different than you (and the more knowledgeable members like puntoMX also do recommend it). I'm not going to argue with you over this anymore as it's a waste of time. Especially when we're only talking about a potential savings of like $10.

Where I live it would be impossible to build a PC with 4GB RAM, dual core CPU and big fast sata drive. I'm sorry if prices in Australia are way too high for everyone one else but I can't do anything about it. The magazine I am quoting from is Australian and there are three writers who all recommend 2GB even for Vista. One of them has been writing in that same magazine for over 10 years. I get everything done with 2GB RAM that any gamer or heavy user would want to get done. You can't count the savings of 2GB over 4GB in a "$1000+" amount as I highly doubt a desk and chair would make the PC run faster. I'm talking savings with the computer hardware. It is really up to him what he gets but I do have sources for what I am saying. Don't worry about it anymore, we will see what happens. :unsure:

Not to jump on you or so, but:

Why buy an OS that is from 2002 (SP1, before that I don't count, same with Vista SP1) while you can get better prices on Vista Home Basic X64 with DirectX10, eg. use the "full" potentional of your new hardware?

They are talking about XP I hope, if not they should kick out the writer of that... O man...

Why do plenty of people still chat about win 98 in the 95/98/ME section of MSFN? Because it works better for what they want. DirectX 10 hardly looks any different in the small number of DX10 games anyway and can reduce performance for little things like subtle differences in shadows and particles. The writers are not talking about XP. They are talking Vista. All three separate writers. 4GB may be nice but in Australia it will cost you around $40 for a 2GB stick. That is $80 for 4GB. $40 less which could get you a 9800 GT instead of a 9600 GT or a faster CPU which would make more difference. This is just my opinion as I run everything anyone would want to run in a cybercafe. Who is going to have two users logged in each with several apps open? How many apps does a cybercafe have anyway?

4GB may be nice but in Australia it will cost you around $40 for a 2GB stick. That is $80 for 4GB.

That explains your spec'ing -- you're basing everything on Australia prices. Don't assume prices are the same everywhere else. Without looking for more than 30 seconds (no weekly specials, no mail in rebates or anything), I can find a decent 2x2GB kit in Canada for $35 USD ($43.49 CAD, converted with current rates from xe.com). I was already being "generous" by saying $50. For $80 USD, I can get 3x2GB of DDR3 (or 4x2GB of the previously mentionned DDR2 for like $70).

Yes but don't assume prices are that cheap where dard_thesorrow lives in India. I reckon if it costs around as much where he lives as it does in Aus then buying 2GB would save a fair bit of money. Depends how much it costs over there relative to how much Indian money he wants to spend on each PC.

Edited by Zenskas

Vista also gives you the possibility to lock a system down to only the programs and functions you would like to give to the customers, on all grounds Vista is "better" than XP, with some minor exceptions. Note that in Mexico, and that's also a 3rd world, XP has a higher price than Vista.

Prices in India must be the same as in Mexico or in Australia, most products that are not sold in Europe, Japan or Canada/USA, are specially sold in our countries including India. Brands like Epson and Samsung are a good example who only distribute models specially made for Latin America, Asia, Africa and Australia. When I need an English description, or better say a complete description, of product sold in Mexico I always have to look on the Indian Samsung website or the Australian Epson website.

I agree that in general the prices in our countries are about 20-30% higher than in Europe, Japan or Canada/USA.

Well, personally I like the ATI HD 4xx0 series, depending on your screen resolution I would pick a 4670, 4830 (lowerclocked 4850), or a 4850 with no more than 512MB. The 4670 has a 128bit memory bus and 320 "processors", while the 48x0 have 640. Always combine it with a brand PSU, 430W or 18A on the 12V line will be enough.

It's time to post your findings on prices, so, would you be so nice to give us the price on a XP (home) and Vista (home Basic 64x) and the 512MB, 1GB and 2GB PC2 6400 sticks (DDR2 800MHz / MT/s)?

EDIT: Never mind, I see you are going to do it the hard way ;).

... in an ideal world that's great but people pay to use net cafes so they can access what they want. I've found content filtering to be a pain from a customer service standpoint in the past.
Well, yes, but in this case you protect your business thus you better be not allowing every webpage that exists. The customers that complain can go find their crap somewhere else as it's for sure not straight. I´m using it now for over 2 years and I'm really happy with it, I can even resolve DNS requests fasten then by using the DNS server of my ISP.

hehe we probably will never agree but I've found that by using deepfreeze on all non-linux machines and storing all files and data on an ubuntu box I have been able to eliminate any risks that openDNS would prevent.

Down to personal preference regarding how much freedom you want to give your users I guess :)

Edited by majormashup