How to integrate Internet Explorer 8 Final

I'm not sure if it's such a big loss to not be able to directly integrate it into XP.

Supposedly some sites don't play nice with it. I've had the same headache with some clients that use Realtor websites when IE7 got installed with Windows Updates. The site didn't work right. Fortunately SP3 hadn't plowed through my work so I only had to revert back to IE6 and not remove SP3 then IE7. Quick appointment, happy customer.

At this point (with IE8 being so new), I'd rather just do it the way I do with IE7.

That is install it via RunonceEX method.

That way, if it is a rare problem, it can be uninstalled. And if it works great, then they already have it.

I suppose I can look into the compatibility list, but even then, some internal sites don't play nice with IE7. So again, it's nice to be able to go back to IE6 and not have an angry client with hours of unbillable time to redo their system to the way they like it. Or not have a repeat customer.

I'm sure for those that like to integrate (meaning replace all old dlls/exes with the new versions) to get the "leanest" unattended installer, that's ok too. Just keep in mind people install windows with various goals.

Edited by JoeMSFN

I repeat - the WinAddOn version is not an integration; it is set up as a hotfix slip. The only significant thing in it is the INI; the executable is just what anyone can download from MS (not "modded" at all). In other words, not exactly completely integrated (an HFslip only).

You should understand the difference between a Hotfix Slip and True Integration. The Sereby version is designed to completely overlay the IE6 with IE8 whereas the version being WinAddOn linked to "all over the place" does not. Check it out and you'll see. Not knocking the "Slip" (the lone INI), but there ya go...

Read my post over here. I stated that it's up to you, but be aware. ;)

Hope this clears up some confusion.

Hi, anyone please has the registry tweaks for IE8 to avoid the questions which they appear when i use the IE8 the first time.

Thanks

Here's the .reg file I've used, although it seems the timestamps cause problems when the difference between them and the current date passes a certain point. Maybe there is some way to generate those timestamps to be the current time when a new user logs in for the first time.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\LinksBar]
"Enabled"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"AlwaysShowMenus"=dword:00000000
"IE8RunOnceCompletionTime"=hex:d6,a2,2b,8d,60,b1,c9,01
"IE8RunOnceLastShown"=dword:00000001
"IE8RunOnceLastShown_TIMESTAMP"=hex:fc,71,f4,6f,60,b1,c9,01
"IE8RunOncePerInstallCompleted"=dword:00000001
"IE8TourShown"=dword:00000001
"IE8TourShownTime"=hex:22,d2,aa,02,6c,a9,c9,01

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\New Windows]
"PopupMgr"="yes"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\PhishingFilter]
"EnabledV8"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Suggested Sites]

The stuff in the "Main" key (except the "AlwaysShowMenus" value) is what you'll need. The rest of this .reg file enables or disables other stuff.

Edited by Stacey Melissa

Hi, anyone please has the registry tweaks for IE8 to avoid the questions which they appear when i use the IE8 the first time.

Thanks

I got it now. After investigating the .inf files generated by IEAK 8, I found the registry setting that disables the first run setup windows. Specifically, the "DisableFirstRunCustomize" value must be set to 1, as shown in this .reg file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\LinksBar]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"AlwaysShowMenus"=dword:00000000
"DisableFirstRunCustomize"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\New Windows]
"PopupMgr"="yes"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\PhishingFilter]
"EnabledV8"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Suggested Sites]