can't delete HKLM reference to FLASH9d.ocx

mikesw

In the past I had flash 9 installed. However, I have flash 10 installed now.

C:\WINNT\system32\Macromed .... doesn't show Falsh9d.ocx since it was deleted a long time ago.

However, ccleaner shows the HKLM registry reference to this directory file as an issue. When I use regedit

(W2k doesn't have regedit32 as far as I know) I can find this key and when I delete it, it says

access denied. I searched all the files on the C drive partition and searched within the files themselves

for a reference to Flash9d.ocx to see who may be regenerating or preventing its deletion. There is no

references to it except a install.log file from long ago. Note: I am the administrator.

How can I delete this registry entry. regedit doesn't permit changing permissions if this is the issue on the key.

Using "reg delete "HKLM......." /v does delete it but it reappears immediately

:ph34r:

Edited by mikesw

REGEDT32, not REGEDIT32. It should be there... (?AFAICR)

Permissions in the Registry.

I think this is the procedure (roughly) -

Right-click "section" on left, change permission to allow you (ADMIN sign-on only, otherwise won't work), delete key/value, then change permissions back to original. Can't remember exact details... also you may have to be in Safe Mode and maybe have to have Restore disabled temporarily. May (?) be the way to use CCleaner (Safe/NoRestore/Admin)...

? Are you signed on as Admin when you use CCleaner? Also, this is an ActiveX reference you see?

FWIW, I have a reference to Flash9b.ocx (now using flash9h) but CCleaner doesn't seem to "see" it (???).

Edited by submix8c

REGEDT32, not REGEDIT32. It should be there... (?AFAICR)

Permissions in the Registry.

I think this is the procedure (roughly) -

Right-click "section" on left, change permission to allow you (ADMIN sign-on only, otherwise won't work), delete key/value, then change permissions back to original. Can't remember exact details... also you may have to be in Safe Mode and maybe have to have Restore disabled temporarily. May (?) be the way to use CCleaner (Safe/NoRestore/Admin)...

? Are you signed on as Admin when you use CCleaner? Also, this is an ActiveX reference you see?

FWIW, I have a reference to Flash9b.ocx (now using flash9h) but CCleaner doesn't seem to "see" it (???).

Thanks I'll check out regedt32 tonight.

CCleaner registry scan/clean won't see your Flash9b.ocx if the entry has no problems. In my case,

I upgraded to Flash 10 and during the install it deletes the flash9d.ocx file and if it can't properly clean/remove

the key from the registry file, then the key still references the directory where the file is supposed to reside and since

it isn't there anymore (deleted) it flags it as a registry problem which ccleaner sees.

Edited by mikesw