[Solved] Integrating updates

Angelico_Payne

There`s a chance to run nLite against the same source, but...

I`ve forced nLite to do that ,too. But I kept one thing on my mind:

First: Integrate components

Second: Remove components

Third: Tweak it

So if you first remove components and after that you try to integrate components, things will mess up.

Ok I tried on unlited source, and it works.

When I nlite a source, and want to nlite it more (e.g. add component/or hotfix) do I have to load last session ?

(beacuse I havent been doing this so far)

G-force, will try the way you advised, and then if i get error will post my lastsession.ini.

Tanx to you both :)

Edited by Angelico_Payne

Angelico_Payne, in general you should not nLite a source that has already had nLite run against it. It almost always leads to strange problems. I actually warned you against this in the Sticky part of the forum before you came over here. The Last Session is intended to be used in this case. Starting with a fresh source, but using an existing Last Session allows you to make any changes you want, or go back to an older version. In the nLite folder in your Program Files folder is a folder called Presets. It contains all past Last Session files with a date stamp. Enjoy, John.

Ok, it's all works now. I traced the issue to some hotfixes I added long time ago , that ended in svcpack folder.

However when I update some hotfixes they appear in .exe format in svcpack folder instead as .ca_ files (catalog files) , when I look inside I see that they are in form of sfx packed package.

75033559.jpg

When I start the mentioned hotfixes , a temp file is generated on hd, having the normal dir structure as a normal hotfix package.

32274101.jpg

How can i add this files to be integrated normally as other hotfixes (so they leave just .ca_ file in svcpack folder)?

When I try to repackage the extracted hotfix back to .exe so nlite can use it, it fails to integrate, so how can I repackage them in this normal folder structure way?

Also if I choose to use ryanvm post sp3 update pack to update windows, can I use nlite after/before that integration, or is not advisable?

Angelico_Payne, I don't understand what causes nLite to place hot fixes in the SVCPACK, but it is necessary to properly include the updates. Apparently all hot fixes cannot be directly integrated. Just always start with a fresh source and nLite will process the hot fixes as it sees fit. Trying to extract and use these files is going to lead to trouble unless you determine what nuhi did to prepare the files (I don't have a clue). RayanVM update packs can be placed directly into the nLite hot fix area. I would not run his integrator and then try to use nLite. Use one or the other.

To put a Hotfix in "svcpack" and add manually a line in "svcpack.inf" is the "classic method" of Hotfix-Integration.

It`s not what we call "Slipstream", because the Hotfixes are installed while XP-Setup.

Some Hofixes cannot be slipstreamed directly with nLite, so nLite falls back to this "classic method".

Ok here's the prob : I can use either RyanVM post SP3 update pack or Autopatcher downloaded hotfixes/update.

Now, the advantage of using Ryan's pack is that it can be fully integrated (no .exe files remaining in svcpack folder) but is not up to date - release is of January 18, 2009. The Autopatcher is up to date but almost all of the updates I downloaded latest hotfixes/updates using AP yesterday,and they are in that stupid .sfx format and cannot be integrated or should I say "slipstreamed" directly via nlite.

I kind of fency AP more, since its more up to date. So i need to find a way to repackage those hotfixes so I can integrate them via nlite.

Beacuse if I leave them as they are, I huge size of windows source installation, since , as you can see in the picture the whole exe files is left intact in svcpack folder , instead of just slipstreaming necessary files , in this case files from SP3 folders of the hotfix.

I would not run his integrator and then try to use nLite. Use one or the other.

Ok tanx for the advise.

Since I have exams coming up, I will leave this matter rest until the 9th April, then I will continue.

Angelico_Payne, I suggest you use the RyanVM pack and either add the latest updates with nLite or wait until after the install and add the updates using Windows Install. Enjoy your exams, John.

I used to have this problem with IE7 & nLite. Kept getting the error saying IE7 couldn't be integrated (same error in the picture posted). The way i solved it was not to remove 'Help & Support' (23MB) in the Operating System Options. For some reason removing help & support throws up that message when integrating with nLite. Again as what others have said, always start off with a fresh, untouched XP. Hope this helps!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I am back on the job...

Ok here's the final problem : Everything can be integrated and installed properly, only the XP updates are not.

I downloaded all the latest hotfixes and updates using AP. But allmost all of the files are in form of sfx chunks files, like on the picture in above post .

They can be extracted, but once extracted they refuse to integrate into installation source.

Now if I want to integrate them they just end up in svcpack folder as .ex_ files, and are not being integrated, thus adding to the size of the installation source.

They will be probably installed, but that is not integration.

Also if one update is necessary before second, it cannot be installed this way.

So my question is, how do I integrate this files with nlite/or some other way, aside from doing it manually.

Can anyone help me with this final obstacle?

Edited by Angelico_Payne

Personally I goto the other section for XP in ryans forum and pick onepieces XP update pack...

It has nearly everything in it including IE8 and WMP11. All ready to go.

Yes, you can do it with nLite and remove stuff all in one go. There are actually like 4 total XP integration packs out now.

Onepieces pack = http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6438

redxii pack = http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5687

You know ryans pack

Here is a small utility to properly extract MOST hotfixes with.

http://www.wpiw.net/downloads/hfxtract.exe

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

OK It seems that there is problem with nlite integrating certain updates.

All of the updates are in format of fragmented sfx files. But there are properly integrated into installation source.

Only 5 updates were not integrated properly, and just end up as .ex_ files in svcpack dir.

I will try to integrate them manually to confirm there is no problem with updates themselves.

@Kelsenellenelvian, It gives me advantage to be able to use nlite, or other tool, in a way to be able to keep XP updated, on my on pace and time.

Using other people's packs can leave me out on dry, since i am at "mercy" of the compiler of the pack.

Thank you for link to hfxtract

Ok i have tried updating source manually, and same thing happens, so its NOT an nlite issue. I see that these updates are properly extracted in e.g. Onepieces pack. So I will go with that pack, althought it has some surplus updates that I don't want atm like WGA tray, IE8,... but it is bearable.

It seems that there are more then 5 updates that are not integratable. So 5eraph I will post all those problematic tommorow, and hopefully u can help me solve the issue.

Since I am updating my soft synthesys tommorow, I will go with one piece pack for now.