Problems during Windows 95B/C installation

hipo_loco

First sorry for my english (how I always say: "my english is very malito xD")

I'm having problems when trying to install Windows 95B/C in a virtual machine. I always get the same error (error #3: can't find the file ****.dll or ****.vxd). I tried to change the directory path to multiple directories:

C:\WINDOWS

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

<CDROM>:\WIN95 (I tried all letters)

ETC, ETC...

but without result.

Can somebody tell me why is this happening?

See you...

would be useful to know what dlls and vxds they are.

when you do the install do you create a partition with fdisk then format C: then do you copy the WIN95 directory to C:\WIN95 or do you just install off the cd?

would be useful to know what dlls and vxds they are.

when you do the install do you create a partition with fdisk then format C: then do you copy the WIN95 directory to C:\WIN95 or do you just install off the cd?

Thanks for your answer =) I have this problem in a lot of files (see examples in snapshots). I use all time the CD (the ISO file) to install Windows.

post-230767-1236809909_thumb.jpg

post-230767-1236809929_thumb.jpg

Original OEM (OSR2.5 label and all; small picture so I attached it) -

I don't use VirtualBox, but it seems somehow you're not installing correctly. These CD's must be installed by booting to a Floppy first; the OEM Floppy Boot Install usually assigns the CD drive, does a Change Directory to the WIN95 (on the cd) then runs OEMSETUP (I have an original OEM floppy, too). By what means are you trying to install? Please provide the sequence...

edit - Scratch that! Can't find my 95 OEM, but have the 98SE OEM. In 95, the boot floppy does not have the cd-rom driver. It has to have it "added" to the config.sys and autoexec.bat in order to access the CD-ROM. After that the process is the same.

post-72994-1236871538_thumb.png

Edited by submix8c

By what means are you trying to install? Please provide the sequence...

My Windows 95C CD has integrated the floppy disk, so the sequence is the same as you describe. I'm going to try editing the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT, although I have no idea how to do it.

Edited by hipo_loco

perhaps it would be easier to copy the WIN95 directory to C:\ and install it from there

otherwise sounds like you have to edit the contents of the ISO file with somethine probably could use winrar or something just as long as you dont break the bootsector

Well, since the VM does not "see" the CD-ROM, I'm inclined to believe that the VM is not set up for it OR that when "booting" from the CD that the drivers are not being loaded...

Otherwise, I'm inclined to agree with awergh that your ISO isn't right.

As I had stated, ONLY the original Win95 was distributed as Retail and all subsequent versions were OEM-only and AFAIK, none of them were Bootable (e.g. Floppies provided for OEM modification). Could be wrong on this, tho, since the OEM was allowed (again, AFAIK) to make "custom" CD's and Recover Partitions/SysPrep-Installs...