Virtual Machine Addition Won't Boot

witch_wyzwurd

Dear Members,

I downloaded Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 a few months ago and had the XP pack working just fine on it. Then I went to start up the Virtual Machine and I get a boot error message in the command prompt.

I followed instructions per this link: http://www.petri.co.il/virtual_install_new..._virtual_pc.htm

(And I'm guessing the ISO I'm supposed to capture is the VMAdditions ISO.)

I still get the boot error.

I've uninstalled Virtual PC and reinstalled a new copy. I've also deleted previous Virtual Machines, and try added in new ones, but they won't boot.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You.

I didn't understand what you mean by XP pack. At what point do you get an error in command prompt. You don't see a command prompt with XP until after XP has booted successfully and you have to call it manually.

Did you actually install an OS in virtual pc? If not, that is what you need to do. You need an XP installation OS, mount the ISO and install it. That will make your VM bootable.

Sorry, my terminology isn't exact. My fault on this.

I had a duh moment when I didn't realize I didn't download the XP SP3 file. But now that I have, I forget where I put it on my C: Drive. And I still don't know what ISO is being referred to. The VMAdittions ISO? the Decompactor ISO?

So I installed the XP SP3 file, but it's (4 files) are sitting in my Download folder. What do I do with them?

I reran the Virtual PC, tried running my New Virtual Machine, then I got the Boot error, then I tried mounting the "ISO" but still Boot error. I'm guessing it has to do with the fact I haven't put the XP SP3 file in the correct location.

I believe the answer is that you can't boot from the VM Additions ISO. You can mount it but it can only be "installed" from within an existing (virtual) OS. Is this correct?

I was confused about this in the past as well, and I had to relearn that lesson too!

Yes. The VM Additions ISO is in a sub-folder of the VPC Install. Also is a VFD file (a Floppy image) for pre-Win9x/NT (eg DOS/Win3x). Best to use it since it "accelerates" the VPC Guest OS. The VFD contetnts have to manually be installed (DOS, ya know). The ISO usually AutoPlays and can be installed via a pull-down at the top of the VM.

edit - the VFD has a BAT file you can run for install. The ISO also has a DOS folder but you have to manually install from there. Also (can't remember for sure) the later versions of VPC may not have the older Additions (DOS/NT4) so you have to get VPC2004SP1 and the Additions for them (supposedly) work in the later versions.

Edited by submix8c