Where can I find out what chipset I have exactly?

anthonyaudi

Hello I have a question. I am looking to upgrade my processor on my laptop but I would need to know my chipset.

I know I have an Intel 965 but I do not know if it is a GM or PM

From what I am reading if I have a dedicated memory video card (which I do I have an Nvidia 8600GM 256MB) then I have an Intel PM965

If I have an X3100 shared video memory card then I have an Intel GM965

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1720

can anyone help me out?

Also Aida32 (last is v3.94.2) or Everest Home Edition (last free v2.20). Everest also has Free 30-day trial of latest. (note: Everest looks very similar to Aida32).

Google on these and you'll find them. They list a lot more than CPU-Z, although if all you need is basic info, it's fine.

Ok Cool so my next and probably final question for my laptop is

I just bought an X9000 CPU because that is the fastest my motherboard can handle (Intel PM965) and I have Kingston DDR2 667MHZ ram.

Now since this chip is 800FSB can I change my ram to faster ram? (I would assume yes) and if I can is it true that Dell Inspiron 1720 can ONLY accept Kingston ram because other ram does not fit?

Can anyone tell me what good ram is for this laptop I would like to buy good ram for this machine.

Well, now that you know which chipset (you never said), you should be able to get the documentation from Dell that will tell you what you need to know, right?

Short answer, probably so (but maybe not).

And as for a recomenndation, it would be up to you (size, compatibility, manufacturer, price, etc). BTW, who told you "only Kingston"? If the MoBo "takes it", then you're good for the go. Most RAM mfgrs allow for an exchange/refund (with guarantees given) if it doesn't work (my bro did that once).

well i went to the local computer store here and they told me that for inspiron 1720 only kingston memory fits. I found that a little hard to believe but they told me that kingston ram is the only ram that can fit into this laptop

when i called dell they told me the ram they sell for this laptop is kingston.

So I'm a little confused i thought DDR2 sizes were a standard across all laptops

so im a little confused on this.

I don't want to buy just "ok" ram since im probably not going to buy another computer for a while i would like to have this laptop as bulked up as possible. I got the machine at a really good price so i don't mind spending a little more money for better parts.

I don't particularly think kingston is the best ram out there im sure companies like OCZ or Crucial have better ram than kingston.

when I go to dell and put my service tag and look at my original system specs

I get this

Module, Dual In-line Memory Module, 2GB, 667MHZ, 2X1GB, 512

Dual In-line Memory Module 1GB, 667, 128X64, 8K, 200

Kingstons site gives me this

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurat...;submit1=Search

a little googleing found this

http://www.memoryx.net/a0643480.html

it tells me that it is 200 pin

Now I called another computer store and they told me "it is not just kingston that would work on the machine"

(which makes sense to me)

My question is can I get any 200pin SODIMM ram and if yes what would be the best ram for this particular machine

Keep in mind that since my chip supports 800fsb and so does my mobo i want to buy 800mhz ram

(thanks for your help guys i appreciate it!)

Edited by anthonyaudi

According to specs (if authoritative), only 667 will work.

However, when you go to www.Crucial.com and select your laptop, they say YES and they have them, so it sounds like they just want you to buy from Dell or Kingston. Go have a look-see, man! And Crucial will absolutely guarantee compatibility.

Edited by submix8c

4GB kit (2GBx2), 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400 memory module

CT768338

* Module Size: 4GB kit (2GBx2)

* Package: 200-pin SODIMM

* Feature: DDR2 PC2-6400

* Specs: DDR2 PC2-6400 • CL=6 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-800 • 1.8V • 256Meg x 64

I believe that is 800MHZ ram

so that being said, what is the best ram available currently in the pc6400 line. (Not only price wise but mostly performance) I know crucial is great ram what else would be great ram..anything a little more high end?

Uh... Crucial and Kingston seem to be the top-of-the-line by most people's reconning. I don't get your question... Shop around and compare, read some reviews, etc. Some people like A, and others B. Again, your choice...

No what i meant was which company makes the fastest pc6400 ram.

like as far as lets say crucial v kingston which one outpreforms the other.

If it is a matter of preference I will just buy Kingston because it is cheaper but if crucial outpreforms kingston ill buy crucial

No what i meant was which company makes the fastest pc6400 ram.
First of all, the guy at that computer shop is a novice, the laptop takes for sure memory from any other brand rather than Kingston.

Now, you will not get more out of faster RAM, keep it with basic timings (5-5-5-15 if posible), but what you should do is maxing out the memory. Even dual channel will not give you much of a performance boost although onboard GPUs will benefit a lot from it, but that's not your nVidia card.

PuntoMX <--I know that name it tells me something from when i was a kid haha

ok so 5-5-5-15 memory and 4gb max

gonna look into that

i think my cpu will give me the biggest boost in performance as I am going up almost 1ghz