Automatic Update Problem

west117wolf

Sorry about last post .Correct email address for her is v-30jlia@mssupport.microsoft.com

No offense, but if she works in support at Microsoft, her responsibility is to handle Microsoft cases, not post to forums. If you want to talk to MS, you'll need a case.

webtimi: if you cannot offer any help then your wisecracks are not necessary!!!!!

If anyone else out there is continuing to have the problem with this auto update problem please let me know so I can let the Dell support people know. For those of you that tried to be help, i appreciate your efforts.

I'm only posting here because you sent me a PM. I rarely visit tech forums anymore. Once every couple of months if I am bored.

Anyway, the only suggestion I can offer is to use Dial-A-Fix and select the option for Windows Updates and Cryptographic Services.

If that does not work than I would say forget about that particular Windows Update.

Use Firefox with NoScript & AdBlock Plus, get a router and use virtualization software like Sandboxie, VirtualBox or VMware Server to test stuff without the fear that it will infect your host PC.

Backup your data, image your HDD.

If you get a virus, use a virus remover like AVG or a trial of Kaspersky or NOD32.

If you get hacked and someone controls your mouse and keyboard - disconnect your Ethernet cable or turn off your wireless router.

I could go on but I don't really see the need to.

Hello, Westley,

I have submitted the problem to Microsoft support and received a reply that might be helpful.

The most common cause for this issue is shell32.dll has not been replaced successfully while installing KB967715. I suggest we install KB950852 to fix this issue because KB950852 includes the latest version of shell32.dll therefore we do not need to install KB967715 after installing KB950852. I suggest we refer the following steps to test the issue.

Step 1: Download and Install KB950582

=============================

1. Please download Update for Windows XP (KB950582) from following link.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/c...582-x86-ENU.exe

2. Please double click the downloaded file to install.

3. After installing Update for Windows XP (KB950582), please reboot the computer and check the issue on the update website again.

If Step 1 is not successful (at solving the problem of repeated re-installation prompts for KB967715), Step 2 is to attempt to install the KB967715 update in Safe Mode.

In my case, after rebooting I still had the prompt to install the update for KB967715. I tried to install this update again, but this time I received a message indicating that the update was NOT successful. After rebooting again, I no longer received the prompt that this update was required.

I hope that this works for you also. Please let me know if this helps you so that I can report back to Microsoft support.

(btw - In looking for info about KB950582, I noticed that a variant of the above solution is also posted on http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19263083.aspx)

Cheers,

Randy

Omega Omega: Mine appears to be corrected...nothing I did, but here is the sequence.

1. I disabled auto updates.

2. The next day i went to turn off the computer and it had an update to be installed. Previously I had selected to inform me when downloads were ready and I would install them myself.

3. Next, I checked my system and saw that automatic installation was selected. (I did not choose this) Nevertheless, I decided to allow the automatic check to install the download.

4. When I restarted, the hated icon was gone. I assume that the install was successful.

Conclusion: Autoupdates did not like my choosing to self install....go figure.

Westley :whistle:

Randy: Disregard my previous response about the download selected. The update was there but I could not see it because I had selected download updates automatically. Next I changed auto updates back to my original selection that I wanted to be notified and that I would download updates myself.

Your method however did work so far. I downloaded as you instructed. Rebooted my computer. Then I shut down again because the KB967715 was downloaded automatically and was sitting on my off button to install when I shut down. I shut off the computer and got the message that an install was occurring. I waited about 4 minutes before the computer shut off. All previous shutdowns with this download, the computer shut down after about 1 minute.

I then turned the computer back on and the icon did not reappear. Problem solved. I hope. I will let you know if it reappears, but it looks like the fix worked. Thanks.

Westley :thumbup