WinSetupFromUSB problems

Rasengan

I'm trying to use WinSetupFromUSB to install XP/Vista from my 120GB WD External HDD.

I'm trying to set the 120GB HDD as a restore disc for my MSI Wind. I had WinSetupFromUSB working on my pendrive, but with my HDD, it's stopping with a blinking cursor just after I pick the HDD in the BIOS.

Anyway, I'm trying to setup the drive like this:

10240MB partition (FAT32) (Active) - WinSetupFromUSB will install XP Pro SP3 (~800MB) & my x86 & x86-64 Vista DVD (8.5GB) and will contain the bootloader.

1536MB partition (FAT32) - Will store the contents of the Ubuntu Linux 8.10 LiveCD (booted from the previous partition)

8706MB partition (Initially FAT32, will be converted to HFS+) - Will store Mac OS X Leopard restore image (Saved using Leopard HD Helper v0.3) (Chain-booted from the first partition with a bootfile called "tboot")

The rest of the drive will be made into a partition called Storage which will be NTFS, and store my PortableApps stuff, college work, etc.

Is it possible to do this? I have a menu config that should work, I just need to get grub4dos/WinSetupFromUSB to install XP to the first partition. Also, is there any way to fix the bad partition table message GRUB keeps giving me? I tried creating a new table using fdisk in ubuntu, and then made the partitions in XP's Disk Management Console

Is it possible to do this? I have a menu config that should work, I just need to get grub4dos/WinSetupFromUSB to install XP to the first partition. Also, is there any way to fix the bad partition table message GRUB keeps giving me? I tried creating a new table using fdisk in ubuntu, and then made the partitions in XP's Disk Management Console

You actually should be using grub4dos NOT GRUB. :unsure:

However, if either GRUB or grub4dos tell you that there is a problem in the partition table, it is likely ....

....that there is a problem in your partition table. :whistle:

Without knowing what EXACT error you are having in grub4dos and without seeing your partition table it is hard to say.

Use beeblebrox:

http://students.cs.byu.edu/~codyb/

and post a screenshot of your partition table in it, or the values you see in the 4 partition entries.

Are you using Primary partitions or Primary+Volumes in Extended Partition?

Post exact error message you get in grub4dos and WHICH grub4dos command "triggers" it.

Another thing that might be useful would be the output of a geometry (hdx) command:

http://diddy.boot-land.net/grub4dos/files/...ds.htm#geometry

jaclaz

You actually should be using grub4dos NOT GRUB. :unsure:

However, if either GRUB or grub4dos tell you that there is a problem in the partition table, it is likely ....

....that there is a problem in your partition table. :whistle:

Without knowing what EXACT error you are having in grub4dos and without seeing your partition table it is hard to say.

Use beeblebrox:

http://students.cs.byu.edu/~codyb/

and post a screenshot of your partition table in it, or the values you see in the 4 partition entries.

Are you using Primary partitions or Primary+Volumes in Extended Partition?

Post exact error message you get in grub4dos and WHICH grub4dos command "triggers" it.

Another thing that might be useful would be the output of a geometry (hdx) command:

http://diddy.boot-land.net/grub4dos/files/...ds.htm#geometry

jaclaz

A] Using grub4dos

B] I fixed the bad partition table error by checking the partition table using fdisk in Ubuntu, there was some empty sectors at the end of one partition which was causing the bad partition table error.

C] Using 4 Primary partitions

Now I'm getting a No GRLDR message instead, and I can't find any info on that with google. The grldr file is on the bootable partition, with the XP setup source files

As a side note- use NTFS for the XP setup pertition:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=125116

Ok, will try that, thanks :D

Edited by Rasengan

Now I'm getting a No GRLDR message instead, and I can't find any info on that with google. The grldr file is on the bootable partition, with the XP setup source files

Did you place XP setup before copying Vista and other stuff?

If grldr was placed later on it may not be reachable by the bootstrap code, being beyond certain boundary. Always copy boot files first, then all the rest.