best fire wall

starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster .... have been using that ZA version (4.5.594.000) for years with Win 98SE and it seems to be 100% OK with it ... However, with a newer OS version (XP, Vista) I'm sure a newer firewall would be better in today's world. I have never really tried it with anything else.

Windows 98SE rocks for me and so does that ZA version. I have tried Kerio v2.1.5 at various times and just a few days ago I gave it another shot ... It seems like a good firewall but I still can't figure out all the settings and rule sets ... I have downloaded default rulesets and "easy how to setups" for Dummies but it seems to be over my head. The older ZA version does a good job with easy setup ... at least for me. I have an older computer with Win 98SE on it and I will continue to work with Kerio v2.1.5 ... I mainly use it for software testing only ... it's only a Pentium ... slow but good for Win 98SE testing.

The Wilders forum does have a nice thread regarding rulesets for Kerio 2.1.5. How to Optimize Security in Kerio 2.1.5 -Learning Thread 3. The thread is primarily targeting 2K thru XP users but all the basics still apply. It's actually a lot easier to make rules for a 9X system. The OS complains very little when it's components aren't given internet access and you don't have to deal with all those services.

You mentioned in a post a few weeks ago about securing an OS via 'whitelisting' and not 'blacklisting' using an anti-virus/anti-malware-etc. that quickly become outdated. You said that you would post some information about doing that if there was any interest.

I'd be interested in learning about that.

I'll attempt to do that as soon as I have the time in a separate thread.

Rick

• 4 months later...
Guest wsxedcrfv

Windows 9x doesn't need to run a firewall (at least as "protection" against malware).

If you want to micro-manage the apps running on your PC, then fine. An out-bound firewall serves no real security purpose. A NAT-router (which any home or soho should have anyways) functions as a more reliable and efficient in-bound firewall.

Windows 9x doesn't need to run a firewall (at least as "protection" against malware).

If you want to micro-manage the apps running on your PC, then fine. An out-bound firewall serves no real security purpose.

You've lost an occasion not to say something very stupid IMO.

Shall I tell you the stories of the several occurence of zero-days downloaded and executed on my machine without my knowledge and consent through browser exploits and that my firewall blocked from connecting to the net/uploading whatever they were meant to thieve on my system ? :whistle:

Edited by eidenk