Do you only need a switch and modem to feed multiple PC the internet?

rv31

Hello,

Say you have 4 PCs and want them all to have internet access, do you only need a switch and modem or do you need a router as well?

Note that these PC are not joined togther, i.e peer-to-peer or client/server type....

You only need a router if you don't have enough public IP addresses (given to your modem by your ISP for handing out to your clients). If your ISP only gives you one public IP, you will need a device that can do network address translation and can act as a gateway (what you would understand as a router).

Judging by the question, I don't think there is likely to be a managed switch in this scenario. I'm guessing there are a few boxes in a house somewhere about to get hooked up to a cable modem and router/switch.

It is just a switch not a router/switch etc... i think.

So switch ---> modem.

Reason i was asking is that I was shown a cicso switch in some lab with about 5 PCs connected to this switch via cat5 ethernet cables and hence all PCs had internet, now i didn't find out if there was a router behind the switch i didn't see one anyway, but there may well have been one.

So i am a bit of a novice at all this.

I know a router connects 2 different subnets and that a switch only works with mac addresses, so i couldn't see how a switch on it's own could pass an internet IP address(or domain name) to the modem for the modem to go a fetch from the WAN.....

Note that these PCs were not connected to each other (peer-to-peer) i suppose they would be in a client/server config all being connected to the switch like that.?

Judging by the way the question was formulated I THINK that most of the answers given in this thread were probably a little advanced for him.

I think he is probably looking for a very simple answer

the answer rv31 would be the MODEM (given to you by whoever you pay your internet bill too) and a router (a linksys wireless router will do ((assuming you have a laptop or 2 and want to have wireless internet also)) otherwise a normal regular router will do)

I think that would be the most simple and direct answer he could have

edit i didnt read your last post so my post might sound like im making you out to know nothing sorry i really didnt read your last post

Edited by anthonyaudi