Seagate 7200.11 official new firmware!

Naah! you go first! :whistle::thumbup

It looks like based on the filename its the same firmware slightly modified based

on whether your drive has 2 disks "2D". Regardless if it is 8MB, 16MB, 32MB caches.

The other is for 3 or 4 disks "3D" , "4D". Regardless if it is 16MB or 32MB caches

Edited by mikesw

I tried it on my locked HD it didn't see it and do noting

But on my second drive the update was successful

What will happen if I will take the working updated PBC and put it on the locked HD? will it work?

Edited by ili

What will happen if I will take the working updated PBC and put it on the locked HD? will it work?

Sorry but it will not.

Every PCB is married with HDA, they're unique.

Flashing will never works if your HD isn't recognized by BIOS at POST time.

You need to unlock the drive with RS232 to TTL solution, or spend $500, or just RMA.

There is no other solution.

Sorry but it will not.

You need to unlock the drive with RS232 to TTL solution, or spend $500, or just RMA.

ok

After I use the RS232 method should I instantly update the firmware and then backup or backup and then update?

I've got a strange problem with an ST31000333AS after upgrading from firmware SD15 to SD1B: it no longer powers up (staying completely silent) in enclosure A in which it used to work fine before the firmware upgrade. However, a Samsung HDD does power up in enclosure A, and the ST31000333AS does power up in enclosure B (not the same model as A).

Any idea?

I've got a strange problem with an ST31000333AS after upgrading from firmware SD15 to SD1B: it no longer powers up (staying completely silent) in enclosure A in which it used to work fine before the firmware upgrade. However, a Samsung HDD does power up in enclosure A, and the ST31000333AS does power up in enclosure B (not the same model as A).

Any idea?

I haven't upgraded mine yet. I was wondering if one uses the USB drive to bootup and reflash the drive, can I put the st31000333AS

on a SATA to USB adaptor and flash thru the USB port, or must I attach the drive directly to the motherboard SATA port and then flash?

I'd prefer to flash it using the USB ports to bootup in and flash thru the second USB port where the HDD is attached. The reason

is for convenience and I have a few of these drives which makes things simpler.

As for your problem, I presume enclosure is external USB drive boxes vs. eSATA ones.

Did you take your drive out of the enclosure and flash it or flash it thru the USB drive port to the enclosure. If the second one is the

case, perhaps taking the drive out of the enclosure and re-flashing it by attaching it to the motherboard may make it work when

you stick it back in the enclsoure.

Edited by mikesw

Sorry but it will not.

Gradius see my reply in Solution Thread... appears that my insane workarround really works!

As for your problem, I presume enclosure is external USB drive boxes vs. eSATA ones.

Did you take your drive out of the enclosure and flash it or flash it thru the USB drive port to the enclosure. If the second one is the

case, perhaps taking the drive out of the enclosure and re-flashing it by attaching it to the motherboard may make it work when

you stick it back in the enclsoure.

I'm using eSATA enclosures attached to a PCI SATA controller which is not recognized by the flash tool. For flashing, I had to attach the drive to the mainboard IDE controller using an IDE to SATA adapter.

hi all! so, i flashed my 500GB Seagate with this firmware, my OS booted normally (well, it discovered the drive again as a new hardware) and after the process now the diagnostic tool says i have firmware revision SD1A. have i done things right?

Yes, i guess so. The new firmware is called SD1A, so you're up to date. Glad to hear it went without problems btw, i think i'm gonna have to go through the same procedure today when i get my disc.

Edited by Hcw87

hi all! so, i flashed my 500GB Seagate with this firmware, my OS booted normally (well, it discovered the drive again as a new hardware) and after the process now the diagnostic tool says i have firmware revision SD1A. have i done things right?

Yes, i guess so. The new firmware is called SD1A, so you're up to date. Glad to hear it went without problems btw, i think i'm gonna have to go through the same procedure today when i get my disc.

good luck and thanks for the reply. the procedure is not so complicated, but you only have to dowload and run SeaTools to scan your exact model (write it down somewhere), so you'll be sure which option you should mark while in DOS mode. thanks again.