Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Gradius2

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Thanks for the response Jaclaz

I fired up the drive and actually it is 11 clicks so it doesn't look good. I've already purchased the tool and its on its way, I will try but not expecting result to be favorable.

Edited by bosman

jaclaz,

Thanks to you and other contributors for this thread. After having problems with a UBS/serial/TTL device, I returned it and received a new one. The loopback test that previously wasn't working (due to a faulty device) worked right away. I was able to recieve the short string of info from the drive that confirmed the existence of the BSY issue, then set to follow the steps in your process to recover the drive. In about 10 minutes the drive was recovered and my data is now safely backed up on another drive.

Many, many thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Bob

jaclaz,

Thanks to you and other contributors for this thread. After having problems with a UBS/serial/TTL device, I returned it and received a new one. The loopback test that previously wasn't working (due to a faulty device) worked right away. I was able to recieve the short string of info from the drive that confirmed the existence of the BSY issue, then set to follow the steps in your process to recover the drive. In about 10 minutes the drive was recovered and my data is now safely backed up on another drive.

Many, many thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Bob

Good :), yet another happy bunny in the basket!

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128727-cant-access-repair-my-pc-option-via-f8-startup/?p=828512

jaclaz

Hello,

I am using a modified DKU-5 cable with correctly marked RX,TX and GND pins. I have used this cable earlier for my hard disk recoveries for seagate ST31000xxxAS 7200.11 (1TB).

The disk is now showing the same behavior of having clicking noise immediately after power up. The heads move to the platters and park back. I guess this is the famous BSY error.

I have performed recoveries of the similar sort with the same cable, but somehow this time it is not working. I have carefully followed all the steps mentioned in different guides everywhere and especially on this forum.

1. I am covering the motor head contacts (3 pins) with card stack paper.

2. I have checked the DKU-5 cable drivers on Windows XP (USB to UART).

3. The hyperterminal connection starts with the connection rate baud settings.

4. Any characters typed in the hyperterminal window do not appear , unless i connect the Rx ad Tx wires which ensures working connection and loopback test.

5. When i connect the cable to the correct pins on the harddisk, the loopback does not work, in a power down state, which means that the cables pins are not touching each other.

6. Whenever I power on the drive (using an external sata disk enclosure by Sarotech), the disk powers on and stays quite because i have isolated the motor contacts.

7. However after waiting for around 10-15 sec when I open the hyperterminal session and send the Ctrl+Z command , I always see a right hand side arrow symbol being show in the window. It is the symbol for ctrl+z (which means undo I guess). Hence the actual F3T/> prompt never comes.

8. If i power off the drive, then I cannot see the right arrow symbol.

9. Based on this behavior I feel that the maybe the PCB is shorted, since when power up , it only connects the cable Tx and Rx pins.

10. Finding an exact replacement PCB is a herculean task, plus I assume that it simply does not work by swapping the PCB.,

11. I dont have and cannot afford expensive recovery services. I only have once service provider in sight, who has the Atola or PC-3000 appratus for recoveries. Is it possible to extract data from such a driver using the PC-3000.

12. Is it possible to try it out with another cable and power supply, maybe the power supplied to the PCB isnt enough, although on visual inspection it does not look fried or having any over voltage damages done to it.

Am i correct in my diagnosis , any further ray of hope and guidance would be highly thanked for.

Thanks.

The disk is now showing the same behavior of having clicking noise immediately after power up. The heads move to the platters and park back. I guess this is the famous BSY error.

Am i correct in my diagnosis , any further ray of hope and guidance would be highly thanked for.

No, a BSY is simply a busy status.

If the drive clicks it is not a "pure" BSY it is the commonly called "click of death".

Typically when powered the disk drive will click 10, 11 or 12 times and then spin down.

See a few posts starting from here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/?p=1062178

and this (only three posts above yours):

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/page-189#entry1082429

Unfortunately if this is the case, there is no known/ready DIY way out :(.

10. Finding an exact replacement PCB is a herculean task, plus I assume that it simply does not work by swapping the PCB.,

No need to assume :no::

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/150215-dont-even-think-of-swapping-pcbs-on-720011/

finding a suitable PCB is fairly easy, for the record, and even the ROM swapping - though not easy-peasy - is something that is achievable by an "advanced/experienced" DIY guy or by a TV/Radio/Phone repairman, it is just the matter of desoldering and re-soldering a (tiny) component properly.

But the fact is that IF it is a "click of death case" the PCB has no issues whilst Head(s)/Preamp or actual platters may have them.

jaclaz

• Upvote 1

Hello everyone,

I successfully followed the BSY fix procedure, but HDD is still not recognized by the BIOS.

The procedure I first found on another site, but it did not include the line:
F3 T>i4,1,22

Is that possible source of the problem?

Now I don't know if repeating of the procedure is allowed (this time with F3 T>i4,1,22 included)
Is it possible that it doesn't work after first attempt, but that it will work after several attempts?

The HDD is 500GB, 7200.11, firmware SD15

Here is the procedure that I used:
CTRL+z
F3 T>/2
F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 0.140 msecs

(isolation strip removed under data contacts)

F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete
Elapsed Time 8.363 secs

F3 2>/1
F3 1>N1
F3 1>/T

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

Now I have got the text "Max Wr Retries..." etc. but I didn't remember details, as it looked
normally

I'm definitely sure that it finished with:
"User Partition Format Successful"

I successfully followed the BSY fix procedure, but HDD is still not recognized by the BIOS.

The procedure I first found on another site, but it did not include the line:

F3 T>i4,1,22

Which basically means :whistle::

I UNsuccesfully followed ANOTHER BSY fix procedure.

:lol:

Try FORGETTING whatever "other" procedure/site and what not you have attempted.

Simply go here:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5DyuVvuODctc2R4bDJJT19rMDQ/edit

and follow those instructions (and not ANY other ones you may find around) faking that your disk is in a BSY state.

I mean, IF it was in a BSY state AND IF the "fix" was unsuccessful, it is still in BSY state.

It is not like you have so many options, you either try the mentioned fix (which is sure to be working and has worked for thousands of cases) or you keep the drive "as is" :ph34r:.

Of course NO warranties whatever that the guide by CarterinCanada will work in your case or that it is any better than any other set of instructions.

jaclaz

Thanks for the link, jaclaz

I studied it, and disovered that it was exactly the procedure that I followed the first time.
Anyway, I tried it again, with the same result.

At the end, it says: "User Partition Format Successful", but after connecting to PC, HDD is still not recognised in BIOS.

What is confusing is that command m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 was immediately executed,i.e. it lasted 0 mins 00 secs (while it should last 1 minute or more)

Now I recorded the terminal communications dump:
F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 0.139 msecs
F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete
Elapsed Time 7.119 secs
F3 2>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>
F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22
Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewr
ite Retries = 0000

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 secs

F3 T>

Any ideas?

Any ideas?

Lot's of ideas :yes: point being if any of them are good ideas. :(

Resetting the G-list ( the i4,1,22 command) is not something that I believe can help, I would do it as a "last, desperate" kind of attempt. :ph34r:

Which firmware is the disk drive/which model?

The original FD15 500 Gb one had a "diagnostic" F712 command (search posts by user "Aviko" containing "F712"), but even if it applies cannot really say how much it could help...

jaclaz

The HDD is 500GB, 7200.11, ST3500320AS
Firmware:   SD15
S/N:            9QM0WRZW
Date Code: 08326

I have another disk of the same type that works. Could it be helpful in any way? As I understood, swaping the PCB-s is not an option?

The HDD is 500GB, 7200.11, ST3500320AS

Firmware:   SD15

S/N:            9QM0WRZW

Date Code: 08326

I have another disk of the same type that works. Could it be helpful in any way? As I understood, swaping the PCB-s is not an option?

Yep, we made a sticky for it :whistle::

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/150215-dont-even-think-of-swapping-pcbs-on-720011/

Of course it is possible to replace the PCB (but ONLY if the "ROM"  is transplanted from the "old" PCB to the "new" one, but your PCB is fine, at the most it is not working becuase of a corrupted ROM, so it would be a nice Catch 22.... :(

Since it is a SD15, you can then use the "diagnostic" command Aviko posted, see:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/page-22#entry832876

but cannot say whether it will be of any use.

jaclaz

Someone wrote on a forum that only after 7-8 attempts his disc was "unbricked", but he didn't specify if he got the message "User Partition Format Successful" every time, or only the last time.

Does it have any sense to try to repeat the procedure several times if I already have got the "User Partition Format Successful" message?

The point is that - particularly for the "real" BSY that happened on SD15 - the "User Partition Format Successful" (and having it with a few seconds delay or immediately, i.e. 0s, or having to wait for it a couple minutes or more) is only a "message" :w00t:.

What actually matters is "exiting the loop" due to the stupid LOG data pointer (you can read a detailed explanation see the link in the Read-Me-First to the 40 posts of so talking of the matter) and thus "moving" the pointer (or resetting the counter) from the 320 value (or multiple).

So it should work at first attempt (but trying it again won't make anything "worse") what is happening to your disk is likely to be (while still a BSY) a busy state caused by a completely different issue (for which we have no knowledge on it's diagnosing :ph34r:).

jaclaz

So, it seems that only solution left is data-recovery company... hopefully it will not be expencive... I better don't tell them about my debricking attempts...