Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Gradius2

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hello, I have a doubt regarding the loopback with this:

http://imageshack.com/a/img703/6950/ixlh.jpg

when I connect RX with TX and I try to write something on HyperTerminal, nothing appears on the screen but the LEDs light up :huh:

any idea? :ph34r:

Difficult to say, it could be the actual adapter DOA or more simply a cold solder (or improper connection of the wires you are using).

You can try directly connecting the two Tx/Rx pins with - say - a pair of tweezers or little pliers to exclude the wires and use a multimeter to check continuity on the actual board.

When I get the replacement PCB, should I try accessing the drive normally, or should try to communicate with it again through Hyper Terminal?

If the issue is/was the actual PCB, there would be no need to communicate to the disk through hyperterminal and the TTL adapter, the disk should work "as is".

Be aware that there are reports in some "normal" cases of (successful) debricking - for unknown reasons - the MBR partition table and/or some other "key" sectors on disk were corrupted or however made invalid and that some partition/filesystem recovery was needed in addition, example:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/145574-seagate-750gb-one-partition-is-raw-after-bsy-fix/

What I would personally do with a (hopefully) unbricked disk would be to connect it to an already booted PC through a USB (or e-Sata) connection, i.e. "hot-plug" it, as there are also reports of such unbricked disks that when connected directly to the motherboard prevent the PC from booting.

jaclaz

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be success in mine. When I first plugged it into the SATA Docking station I had, it made no clicks, and detected a new device. But it installed it like a USB Drive, and I couldn't access the data or view the total size of the drive.

When I turned it off & on, nothing happened after that.

So then I tried the USB cable method again, and I only got the black arrow in Hyper Terminal, when I put the drive back together and powered it on again, the clicking came back, and it detects as an unknown drive that's not initialized.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be success in mine. When I first plugged it into the SATA Docking station I had, it made no clicks, and detected a new device. But it installed it like a USB Drive, and I couldn't access the data or view the total size of the drive.

When I turned it off & on, nothing happened after that.

So then I tried the USB cable method again, and I only got the black arrow in Hyper Terminal, when I put the drive back together and powered it on again, the clicking came back, and it detects as an unknown drive that's not initialized.

WHICH clicking?

You didn't said anything about clicking. (or I missed it ):w00t: (is it not by any chance something like 11 or 12 clicks, then a pause, etc.?)

WHAT "detects it as unknown device which is not initialized"?

When the disk is connected "normally" to a SATA port (and powered) what do you see in the BIOS?

What happenas if you simply connect the power (and not the SATA bus) cable to it and then switch on the PSU from which you get the power?

Does it spin, does it click with a "pattern"? (please describe).

jaclaz

I don't know "which" clicking, one of the sources I read said it's because the header or whatever it is, is trying to access the platter's firmware and failing, the clicking is each time it tries and failing. I think it's somewhere between 8 - 10 times, I haven't plugged it back in.

It detects as ST_M13FQBL, with 3.86GB of space. On Windows, it shows as a "Not Initialized" disk.

It does sound like it spins up, then tries to read the platter firmware, after the clicking, it winds down.

The "WHICH" about the clicking was about the fact that you did not describe it in the "symptoms" earlier.

A clicking (like 10 or eleven or twelve times) plainly means "the issue is outside the scope of the present thread AND it is unfortunately something that ONLY a professional using professional tools may be able to fix/recover from", that is IF the contacts to the motor/heads are good. (have you checked them, cleaned them and properly tightened the PCB screws?).

Try again after having cleaned/checked the contacts between disk and PCB, if still it clicks the 8/10/11/12 times it is gone for good (as long as the possibilities of a DIY job are). :(

jaclaz

Ah well, I already consider the DIY jobs done for.
I've been looking at the professional data recovery ones, might be a while until I have the money to pay for one of those. Over 1000+.

Edited by Confused07

Difficult to say, it could be the actual adapter DOA or more simply a cold solder (or improper connection of the wires you are using).

Yes, DoA

I bought another one and I have another problem :}

After

F3 1>N1 (enter)

appear

LED:00000047 FAddr:04290100

LED:00000047 FAddr:04290100

I bought another one and I have another problem :}

Well, you can try again from the beginning but skip the SMART erase command, and or simply try again, sometimes there are timing problems.

jaclaz

Well, you can try again from the beginning but skip the SMART erase command, and or simply try again, sometimes there are timing problems.

jaclaz

F3 2>/1 (enter)

F3 1>N1 (enter)

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 (enter)

right?

Edited by Oswy

Yes, but first try again from start including the N1 command (and verify that contacts are clean/that you re-tightened the screws "enough").

jaclaz

the dash flashes by about 30 minutes :ph34r:

----------

LED:000000CC FAddr:0024A051
LED:000000CC FAddr:0024A051
(disconnect.. cardboard etc.)
F3T>
F3 T>/2
F3 2>Z
Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 0.144 msecs
F3 2>U
Spin Up Complete
Elapsed Time 6.546 secs
F3 2>/T
F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 or F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22
nothing happen
also tried
F3 T>i4,1,22
Unable to load Diag Overlay
Edited by Oswy

Do you know which firmware the disk has?

You could try issuing a F712 AND a F,,22 (or just the latter) as in these posts:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/?p=832794

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/?p=832876

BTW were you trying with the motor or with the head contacts insulated?

jaclaz

In previous attempts I alternated motor/head

HDD is exactly the ST3500320AS SD15 but...

F3 T>F712

Unable to load Diag Overlay

Hmmm.

The F712 is only a "diagnostic" kind of command that simply reads some data and outputs the status.

What happens if you issue directly the F,,22? :unsure:

I guess your last chance, if even the above fails, is to try again with the PCB completely disconnected, see (Italian):

http://www.gamesnet.it/f1093/seagate-barracuda-7200-11-sblocco-errore-bios-672580/

jaclaz

What happens if you issue directly the F,,22? :unsure:

nothing :no:

Today I asked for more information about the HDD (girlfriend's) and I knew that originally had the 0 LBA problem. Her brother updated the HDD with the latest firmware (as suggested by seagate software) and... BSY born! :}