The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hey guys, though I do understand that you are doing this in GOOD faith :):

including the fact that I am quite willing to sell the required peripherals to anyone requiring them to remedy their Seagate as per the Thread (at the same cost that I myself have paid for them).

Alternatively, I am willing to remedy your Seagate HardDrive for a small fee if you are local to Toronto. .

If anyone has the cabling (RS232 converter etc) and is willing to sell me a completed kit, please email me at domlebo70 # gmail.com (replace # with @). I live in Australia, and will pay for postage.

It is against Board Rules:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=18408

Rule #13:

13. No user shall, by any means:

1. Sell, trade, or give away hardware, software, or any other goods whatsoever.
  2. Offer any type of paid service or services to other members of the community. Offering any type of service in exchange for other goods or services is also not permitted.
  3. Directly request donations or otherwise solicit forum members for financial assistance. If you have an external site, attachment, download or other such resource for which you would like to solicit donations, references or links to external sites that give information on where a member might donate are acceptable, but linking directly to PayPal or otherwise directly soliciting members is not tolerated. The only exceptions to this rule are for member projects directly hosted by MSFN, or for projects where MSFN hosts the main support forums for member projects.

MSFN does not support any type of trade and shall not be held accountable. Any violation of this rule may result in an immediate ban with no further warning.

@domlebo70

It is not advisable to post on a public forum your e-mail address, at least you should "mask" it as I did in the QUOTE (or in a similar way) at least to avoid the risk of being added to some SPAM database by harvesting bots.

A suitable interface is available in Australia allright (besides possibly a number of places) on e-bay:

http://shop.ebay.com.au/?_from=R40&_tr...-All-Categories

jaclaz

Hi guys.

If anyone has the cabling (RS232 converter etc) and is willing to sell me a completed kit, please email me at domlebo70@gmail.com. I live in Australia, and will pay for postage. Would appreciate this greatly, because I have a great deal of sensitive data (childhood photos etc).

Dom

Hi!

The first thing I said to myself after reading your Post was, "Too bad yer not livin' closer to Canada". :)

Anyways, about the parts you were askin' 'bout:

Maybe you should have detailed your configuration more specifically in your Post. Everything but the communication parameters to the HardDrive (HyperTerminal) will vary depending on your computer configuration.

What everyone must first do is determine their computer configuration; after all, when it's all said and done, the remedy can only be accomplished entirely by communicating directly with your HardDrive and it's the configuration of your computer which will determine how you are going to 'wire-everything-up' in order to do this.

So, there are two configuration questions which everyone must resolve first:

1. Am I using a Serial Port or a USB Port to connect to the Adapter?

2. Am I using the on-board power source of my computer (Molex) or the alternative of a Battery PowerSupply.

Unless you can answer these two questions first, you cannot proceed to the next step of connecting/communicating with your HardDrive.

It's all quite simple, really. Everything is quite simple to remedy the HardDrive; but you must first answer the two questions I outlined above.

In my particular case, I used the Serial Port and the on-board power supply. I never had to solder anything nor did I require the use of a BreadBoard/ProtoBoard. Nor did I use a battery power-supply.

So, how 'bout telling us the answer to the two questions first and then maybe I can send you the parts as you requested; but I don't want to be sending you a part that is incompatible to your configuration.

Edited by TorontoOntario

I'm having trouble getting things started, no output in hyperterminal. When I press ctrl-z all I get is an arrow and nothing else. I've got it connected to rs232-ttl shifter through a straight-through serial cable. 2xaa batteries for power. I've tried swapping tx-rx, same result. Should I have something hooked up to the ground jumper on the drive's pcb?

Also, I'd like to know if anyone else's hard drive pcb gets hot, even when the hd motor is bypassed (with a card), specifically under where the main chip is.

Ummmm, there are FOUR connections to the Adapter: (1) RX (2) TX (3) GND (4) VCC [power]

Numbers 1 & 2 above connect from Adapter to HardDrive

Numbers 3 & 4 above connect from Adapter to power-supply

As for your question about PCB 'getting hot', I really don't know as I never had a need to investigate while conducting my own procedure.

I'm having trouble getting things started, no output in hyperterminal. When I press ctrl-z all I get is an arrow and nothing else. I've got it connected to rs232-ttl shifter through a straight-through serial cable. 2xaa batteries for power. I've tried swapping tx-rx, same result. Should I have something hooked up to the ground jumper on the drive's pcb?

Also, I'd like to know if anyone else's hard drive pcb gets hot, even when the hd motor is bypassed (with a card), specifically under where the main chip is.

Ummmm, there are FOUR connections to the Adapter: (1) RX (2) TX (3) GND (4) VCC [power]

Numbers 1 & 2 above connect from Adapter to HardDrive

Numbers 3 & 4 above connect from Adapter to power-supply

As for your question about PCB 'getting hot', I really don't know as I never had a need to investigate while conducting my own procedure.

I've got the adaptor hooked up correctly, positive from battery to VCC, negative to ground. The ground I was referring to was on the hard drive pcb, next to the TX/RX pins.

Hi!

Yes, it does appear that you have the Adapter hooked up correctly.

You have two issues to resolve: 1. Power to the Adapter 2. Power to the HardDrive.

Problem I have is comprehending how you decided to power-up your HardDrive.

I myself powered the Adapter from the computer's Power Supply (via the on-board Molex Connector) which is standard on every computer which can supply to both IDE and SATA Drives. This meant that I did not have to use batteries.

This is the Adapter I used: Pololu Deluxe Serial Adapter http://www.robotshop.ca/pololu-serial-adapter.html

My failed HardDrive was powered up by using the computer's standard SATA Power Connector which I plugged in as normal.

I had two wires connected to the RED and BLACK power supply (those which feed into a Molex Connector; aka: IDE power supply connector). These two wires (RED/BLACK) then connected to their respective feed on the Adapter which is RED to VCC and BLACK to GROUND. RED is POWER and BLACK is GROUND. DO NOT USE THE YELLOW WIRE and additional black wire which is also part of the Molex Connector.

Since my ASUS MotherBoard had a COM 1 Serial Port (unused/dormant) I connected a Serial Header to it which had a male end which I then inserted to the female end of the Adapter.

That's how I myself rigged things up.

It's rather easy if you remove the side panel off your Computer Case and connect to both the power and serial port which might already be available there. Then it's only a matter of purchasing the Adapter and some appropriate wiring/connectors.

The real nuisance I found was hooking up the actual wiring itself.

It's better to buy wiring like these described below rather than messing around with solder an' whatever.

SFE Break Away Headers - Straight

http://www.robotshop.ca/sfe-straight-pin-headers.html

NetMedia 10" Jumper Wire Kit

http://www.robotshop.ca/netmedia-10inch-jumper-wires.html

SFE 170mm F/F Premium Jumper Wires

http://www.robotshop.ca/sfe-170mm-ff-premi...mper-wires.html

SFE 170mm M/M Premium Jumper Wires

http://www.robotshop.ca/sfe-170mm-mm-premi...mper-wires.html

Things can get confusing when reading all the instructions contained in this Thread because there are varying computer configurations which people have.

For instance, some might have a COM Port (Serial Interface) on their MotherBoard but need to purchase a Serial Header to connect to it like this: http://www.frontx.com/pro/cpx102_2.html

Others may not have the COM 1 Serial Port and so have to go the alternative using something like this: Sabrent 1 Ft USB 2.0 to Serial DB9 Male RS-232 Cable Adapter http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...63&CatId=77

Some might find connecting to the live power supply on their computers somewhat risky and awkward and so might have to obtain a battery similar to this: CR2032 Battery http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...&CatId=2623

Anyways, sorry for the long story; I am just trying to be helpful to anyone reading this Thread.

Edited by TorontoOntario

Hi!

Yes, it does appear that you have the Adapter hooked up correctly.

You have two issues to resolve: 1. Power to the Adapter 2. Power to the HardDrive.

Problem I have is comprehending how you decided to power-up your HardDrive.

I myself powered the Adapter from the computer's Power Supply (via the on-board Molex Connector) which is standard on every computer which can supply to both IDE and SATA Drives. This meant that I did not have to use batteries.

This is the Adapter I used: Pololu Deluxe Serial Adapter http://www.robotshop.ca/pololu-serial-adapter.html

My failed HardDrive was powered up by using the computer's standard SATA Power Connector which I plugged in as normal.

I had two wires connected to the RED and BLACK power supply (those which feed into a Molex Connector; aka: IDE power supply connector). These two wires (RED/BLACK) then connected to their respective feed on the Adapter which is RED to VCC and BLACK to GROUND. RED is POWER and BLACK is GROUND. DO NOT USE THE YELLOW WIRE and additional black wire which is also part of the Molex Connector.

Anyways, sorry for the long story; I am just trying to be helpful to anyone reading this Thread.

I got the one Gradius recommended from Sparkfun. I powered the hard drive by the sata power connector from a pc, as the dell laptop I used is the only system I have with a serial port. Could it be that the 2 aa batteries arent putting out enough power? Tester shows ±3.2V. I was just worried about accidentally shorting out and killing my drive.. more.

I got the one Gradius recommended from Sparkfun. I powered the hard drive by the sata power connector from a pc, as the dell laptop I used is the only system I have with a serial port. Could it be that the 2 aa batteries arent putting out enough power? Tester shows ±3.2V. I was just worried about accidentally shorting out and killing my drive.. more.

So, it does appear from what you are saying that everything is connected properly; meaning to say your Adapter and HardDrive is powered up an' stuff.

Did you first try a Loop-Back test (dry run) prior to actually connecting the RX/TX to the HardDrive?

In this way you can begin to isolate any problem step by step.

You first confirm that your Adapter is functioning properly by the Loop-Back test.

The HyperTerminal Loop-Back test is explained in this Thread at some point.

Once you know that your Loop-Back test was successful, then you know that there is no problem with the Adapter.

After successfully testing your Adapter via Loop-Back, the other hic-up you might experience is that you have the RX/TX wires to/from the Adapter (to HardDrive) incorrectly reversed. So, switch 'em on the HardDrive if this hic-up occurs.

Then power-up your HardDrive and go for the Hyper-Terminal-Ride and everything should work as advertised.

It gets kinna' konphuzin' when you say that your SATA HardDrive is being powered by connecting to a PC while using the Serial Port which is located on your LapTop. I have no idea if there might be possible voltage tolerance/compatibility issues between a PC PowerSupply and that of a LapTop.

Your original Post was asking about the PCB heating up. I never had a reason to investigate this issue when I was doing my own remedy and so I can't be of much help to you on that one.

Where are you located in Canada?

I am in Toronto/Ontario

Edited by TorontoOntario

Hi there Graduis2, first id want to thank you for the awesome guide on "The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs, How-to fix 0 LBA and BSY errors" i think guys like you really makes a difference in the world in terms on sharing knowledge instead of taking advantages of the unfortunate people who encounter problems.

I'd like to ask for your advice regarding my attempts to follow your guide.

I'm from the philippines and i found it difficult to find the rs232 to ttl converter that was required. so what i did was find some schematics online for a ttl converter and tried to make one. i ended up making use of a schematic that doesnt require an IC but only uses transistors. so i tried using that for te BSY error guide. when i hooked everything up, my hyperterminal showed me a lots of characters ((*#&@^*@&^$&) even smileys.... :(

im afraid now, regarding the fate of my drive. hope you can help me out. thanks a lot...

so what about mine? i can get the loopback test working perfectly so its not a question of the setup but when i press ctrl-z i get the little arrow. someone else mentioned this might be cos of wires touching off each other but if i press other keys it doesn't appear on the terminal? i have tried with and wothout grounding, swapping rx and tx etc but never get the F3 T>

i'm using power straight from the psu and a dku-5 cable connected to same pc. i've tried it with pcb removed and installed. still nothing. i think mine is f***ed:(

so what about mine? i can get the loopback test working perfectly so its not a question of the setup but when i press ctrl-z i get the little arrow. someone else mentioned this might be cos of wires touching off each other but if i press other keys it doesn't appear on the terminal? i have tried with and wothout grounding, swapping rx and tx etc but never get the F3 T>

i'm using power straight from the psu and a dku-5 cable connected to same pc. i've tried it with pcb removed and installed. still nothing. i think mine is f***ed:(

Hi!

I am asking this question only so that I don't have to search through this entire Thread for the answer ... ummm, are there people actually reporting that regardless of following the instructions here that their HardDrive never recovered? And, if so, what was the reason given for such a circumstance?

I thought that the HardDrives were failing only because of a Firmware fault and that the remedy was to 'unlock' the busy state in order to update the Firmware.

Are these HardDrives also failing because they are basically a bad product too?

Is anyone recommending that the HardDrive be remedied only to enable recovery of the data to a entirely new HardDrive and ditching the Seagate altogether?

Thanks!

I am asking this question only so that I don't have to search through this entire Thread for the answer ... ummm, are there people actually reporting that regardless of following the instructions here that their HardDrive never recovered? And, if so, what was the reason given for such a circumstance?

I thought that the HardDrives were failing only because of a Firmware fault and that the remedy was to 'unlock' the busy state in order to update the Firmware.

Are these HardDrives also failing because they are basically a bad product too?

Is anyone recommending that the HardDrive be remedied only to enable recovery of the data to a entirely new HardDrive and ditching the Seagate altogether?

Thanks!

There are a lot of misunderstandings going on on this topic, your question may be the occasion to attempt clearing some of them.

This thread and the nice page by CarterinCanada:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...807&st=1232

http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html

and various similar hints/guides linked to or various information posted on the present thread, are aimed to recover or "debrick" a specific Seagate series drive suffering from the problem initially explained in this same thread (links given in this post):

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...807&st=1589

THIS problem may appear with two different symptoms: 0 LBA or BSY state.

There may be tens or maybe hundreds of different problems leading to the same symptoms.

Moreover several people with a failed or failing drive come here thinking this represents a miracle cure for any desease. (even if Symptoms are different)

It is NOT.

There are NO reports of drives suffering from THIS problem, to which THESE remedies were PROPERLY applied, using PROPER interfaces/cabling/power supplies, PROPERLY connected, which were not fully and integrally recovered.

There is NO rational reason to presume that once THIS problem has been resolved and the PROPER firmware upgrade has been applied, the drive is not anymore dependable: it is EXACTLY as DEPENDABLE as any other Seagate Hard disk of the same series that was NOT affected by the problem.

Whether this particular series of drive is more or less dependable than series X of manufacturer Y is higly debatable, there are NO publicly available extensive studies in this direction, and anyway by the time (exception made for early failures) the data would be available, a new (or more than one) series will be available and common, both from Seagate and from manufacturer Y.

Borrowing the words Peter Gutmann used to describe the misunderstandings about his reknown paper:

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/secure_del.html

this thread and the info within it has been sometimes interpreted/used more as:

a kind of voodoo incantation to banish evil spirits than the result of a technical analysis

If the problem is THIS one, the "cure" does work, if the problem is not exactly THIS one, who knows? :unsure:

jaclaz

I posted like others that my drive did not respond to the m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 command, that hyperterminal would just hang after attempting that command.

when you say "hang" do you mean that nothing appears ? or do you receive an error ?

I've been waiting for 40 mins after the m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 command and I wonder if I can turn the disk off and retry from start.

Yep hangs as in nothing appears, no output from hyperterminal. Using Aviko's commands fixed that, though I see you resolved this, congrats!