Rambus memory.

Reverend

From what i have heard and read, Rambus is only nessary when getting the new Nothwood core or Pentium 4a. DDr is coperable and way cheeper then rambus, and it works quite nicly with 2gbs and below. If coats are an issue i would go with DDR but RAMBUS is aways a nice added performance boots.

-Drew

Rambus is the ultimate way to go, Northwood or no Northwood. Since you already got the stuff for free, spend a bit and be part of the "upscale" users who go for ultimate performance rather than price, right BAH?:) According to Tom's Hardware Guide

in order for the Pentium 4/2xxx to succeed in holding its own against AMD Athlon XP 2xxx in the future, it definitely needs Rambus memory.[/quote:9c9dbc5eeb] Nuff said.

Personally I would go with DDR if its supported by ur mobo, Rambus is good...expensive and from some of the reports Ive read on the way out.

the 850 chipset was undermined with the introduction of the 845 which allows Sdram because of the costs associated with Rambus. Now with the new 845d chipset (DDR) it could see the end of Rambus.

Currently I am going to purchase 512MB 800mhz, namebrand on ebay for 154.95 + shipping. To me that is a steal. I looked on Pricewatch and found some great bargains. You might also try pricegrabber on the toms hardware site. They have some pretty good deals.

Crucial does not sell Rambus because they didn't think it would sell. They should have thought again.

Big Booger

here is a great article on rambus and the other ram.

http://www4.tomshardware.com/column/02q1/020215/index.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?V...item=2004423156

There's a link to another 512MB RAM from EBAY. Personally I have bought from this company on ebay and to be honest they are great. I bought a CD burner and a Hard drive from them. Both came in sealed orginial packages, and the company offers a warranty. Check it out!

Big Booger

What did you finally end up doing about your RAM?

I actually bought the 512Mb rambus from Ebay. They are sending my product tomorrow. I should get it in 5-7 days! I will post up my experience/impression. Truly I think I stole it, so far so good. They sent me 3 emails in less than 24 hours.

Big Booger