HOWTO show the transfer speed in file copy/move dialog?

ZileXa

In Vista, you get to see the file transfer speed in KB or MB when you copy or move files/folders. I know this is also possible in XP by hacking shell32. But I don't know the hack. It was described on an English website, I think it was written by a Russian. Anyone knows what site it is or know the trick?

• 2 weeks later...
In Vista, you get to see the file transfer speed in KB or MB when you copy or move files/folders. I know this is also possible in XP by hacking shell32. But I don't know the hack. It was described on an English website, I think it was written by a Russian. Anyone knows what site it is or know the trick?

http://www.askvg.com/transform-your-window...omization-pack/

LOOK FOR THE COPY DIALOGE

Well I'm sure it is possible via a hack in shell32 and without having an extra utility in the background. Will search further. Thanks for the suggestions.

No, it is not possible with hacking, only extra utility can do it.

http://www.askvg.com/transform-your-window...omization-pack/

LOOK FOR THE COPY DIALOGE

This is just fake showing of speed. Speed will always stay at 10.2 MB/sec.

Cheers ;)

Whoa! That's the site I was looking for! But I looked at the progress_dialog_box_code.txt and it is really fake. That Vishal guy has nice tweaks but he doesn't give the right information, in some cases he even gives very wrong info wich can lead to your pc never be able to boot again.

Like his Windows 7 boot screen for xp. He has a modified ntoskrnl.exe wich you can use to replace your own ntoskrnl.exe. Then you'll get windows 7 like boot screen. Looks very professional.

BUT, if your pc uses ntkrnlpa.exe instead of ntoskrnl.exe, replacing ntoskrnl will have no effect. Renaming his file to ntkrnlpa.exe will lead to infinite boot errors, even Safe Mode won't work.

And renaming his file to boot.exe and add it to boot.ini has the same effect if your pc uses ntkrnlpa.exe.

So many people have already put this in the comments and still he says it works for every pc and nothing can go wrong. I am really disappointed in that man. Despite some of his nice (but usually already well-known here at msfn forums) tweaks and theme.

I am really disappointed in that man.

I used to have a LOT of respect for the MVP title (especially in categories like C# and SQL Server), until I looked at the kind of people who get MVP awards for "desktop experience"... Some of the recipients in that category may be worth something, but as far as I've noticed...