windows 7-Vlite removed WMP

Rudi1

Removing WMP has never given me much trouble, but you should at least keep the codecs. Removing this stuff gives you no increase in speed, minimal space savings and plenty of potential headaches.
but this is the point of Vlite to remove components from os

I think the idea is to strike a balance between saving space and building a trouble free system. It's not a zero sum game, but it does seem like it at times so careful considerations must be made with regard to the potential problems caused by removing deep rooted system components. The performance increase in VLited systems is largely a myth so I don't even consider that issue.

agree. Its more of a saving space & removing redundant features in the os itself.

A reason why i've tried to remove it for a long time, is simply because WMP has so many ties to the system, like the stupid services that runs all the time and that it's hard to remove associations to filetypes, and if i can save some space, why not.

I wanna use the codec but NEVER see the app if i can. It seems there's a solution earlier in the thread and thanks for that. As for for the first few replies; try to look beyond your own bowl, for once.

Why are there so many jack-asses in this community? Catching a guy on technicalities when there is an obvious language barrier is just not cool. He simply wants to slim his OS as much as possible.

without trying to look big headed, both myself and MagicAndre have posted in nlite/vlite a lot, and have used both many times

we've both arrived to the same conclusion, that it's best to keep components that you need a part of, instead of scrambling for a solution when things don't work.

we're simply passing on what we've learned the 'hard way'

and i'd never target someone because of a language barrier :blink: , one of the thing i love about msfn is the great mix of languages / localities :thumbup

no need to fly off the handle and jump at our throats

we've both arrived to the same conclusion, that it's best to keep components that you need a part of, instead of scrambling for a solution when things don't work.

I totally agree :thumbup

I've tried a lot and and doesn't make any sense to remove such important parts of the OS. Keep it for compatibility and use other tools like FireFox, VLC and so on. I only remove parts which I KNOW they don't cause error and my Vista runs fine, fast and I can install updates without having any kind of errors.

All of you know that microsoft have also the windows N version and this version is without WMP ,but we need the WMP codec files too.

Yes, but these versions do not remove the files, only the entry points in the UI so they appear to be missing, but are actually not missing at all. Remove the files at your own risk - if removal of the IE or WMP binaries causes other apps to break, putting them back and rebuilding is really your only option.

if you don't want to accept our help stay with your issue. We said what you should do.
sorry, shrinking the OS without using brain.exe is a bad idea.

And helping out without using "polite.exe" really ain't nice either. :angry:

I've been at this game far more long than you, but I still haven't reverted to beeing unpolite to people in need of advice.

And speaking of advice, I'm quite sick of seeing people questioning peoples choices and refusing to give advice in the direction asked for.

Shape up!

Why are there so many jack-asses in this community? Catching a guy on technicalities when there is an obvious language barrier is just not cool. He simply wants to slim his OS as much as possible.

without trying to look big headed, both myself and MagicAndre have posted in nlite/vlite a lot, and have used both many times

and i'd never target someone because of a language barrier :blink: , one of the thing i love about msfn is the great mix of languages / localities :thumbup

no need to fly off the handle and jump at our throats

It's not the answers I'm concerned about it's the delivery. I agree with your advice, I just don't understand how experience means you have to give it the "hard way." Just seems mean.

And it's just in my nature to defend people when it looks like there is condescension. Post #'s 3 and 4 explain my frustration regarding language. What I mean is that I believe there was a miss communication there and yet Magic begins to condescend almost right away. But whatever, Magic obviously knows a lot and I still want advice in the future, however it comes. Just trying to look out for my fellow MSFN people.

Edited by MPalmz

if you don't want to accept our help stay with your issue. We said what you should do.

I've been at this game far more long than you, but I still haven't reverted to beeing unpolite to people in need of advice.

And speaking of advice, I'm quite sick of seeing people questioning peoples choices and refusing to give advice in the direction asked for.

Shape up!

OMG Clint chill! (Besides JUST how sure you have been at this game far longer than him? Or any of us for that matter?)

Besides removing those components only removes the space needed by them and hampers your os. They only "Slow" down your system when you use them.

This is all really moot anyways because vLite was not made for Windows7 and people should stop complaining when an app made for OTHER OS'es doesn't work right on the OS that is still a BETA...

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Shape up!

OMG Clint chill! (Besides JUST how sure you have been at this game far longer than him? Or any of us for that matter?)

Besides removing those components only removes the space needed by them and hampers your os. They only "Slow" down your system when you use them.

This is all really moot anyways because vLite was not made for Windows7 and people should stop complaining when an app made for OTHER OS'es doesn't work right on the OS that is still a BETA...

Taken the content and insight of his posts, and the simple fact that I've pretty much all the time been ahead of the author of vlite. I did howerever not say ALL of you in ALL aspects, nice try though...

That aside, I see too much posts stating "why do you want to to that?" or "that OS is not meant for this purpose"...and other in those lines. The backbone of tweaking, ripping and minimizing OS's is the curiosity and willingness to experiment. That is the exact same cause that lead nlite and vlite to surface. Let them play and discover, this is one of the fundamenta of progress and development.

Anyway, my last words in the matter.

True, but removing WMP and then asking why the WMP codecs or plugins aren't working is just plain silly. Which is what most of these questions boil down to - "I removed <x> and now <some subcomponent of x> doesn't work! Why!?", and why we've gotten somewhat jaded over the years answering it. It's fairly obvious in most cases as to why (for example) the WMP codecs or plugins don't work, because the OP removed them. Hence the answers.

True, but removing WMP and then asking why the WMP codecs or plugins aren't working is just plain silly. Which is what most of these questions boil down to - "I removed <x> and now <some subcomponent of x> doesn't work! Why!?", and why we've gotten somewhat jaded over the years answering it. It's fairly obvious in most cases as to why (for example) the WMP codecs or plugins don't work, because the OP removed them. Hence the answers.

Well, removing WMP is not allways removing only WMP... Due to the massive userbase Nihu has to cater for there is a good chance that some other things has had to be taken out to keep some users combination of components working. This user can very well be fine with removing WMP and the add let's say kLite pack, simply because he might have removed a component that turned out to be dependent of those "extra" files that Nuhi had to remove when removing WMP. And here we touch the cause why I've been bitching about Nuhi beeing a tightass about giving info of what gets removed, he gathers info but never let's it out. As long as this is the case we will never see any real improvments. Personally I'm fine, my knowledge stretches a bit further than what button does what in vlite, but I feel for the common users here.

But I agree in the sense that sometime the users gets too "triggerhappy" in their "vliteclicking" OS modding. Again, the users would benefit and learn whats really is going on under the hood if the author of vlite shared the info with them. All would benefit and progress would be made.

Like it used to be...