Installing XP using a 4GB USB drive on a SATA System

BdN3504

I'm having serious difficulties in getting a working installation of winXP onto a Medion Akoya E1210. I got the device with a French version of XP on it, i want to install a german version.

I have tried installing XP in multiple variants, none worked.

1. I used nLite to make a very Customised Install. Then i used Reatogo (only following a guide, i don't know exactly what it is for) and finally i used PeToUSB to ban the contents of what i had created to the stick. The problem was, that the required SATA drivers were not recognized by the windows installation.

2. I used nLite only to include the drivers and did not touch anything else. I skipped Reatogo and used PeToUSB directly to copy the install to the stick. I could access the drive that was connected to the SATA port, so i repartitioned and formatted it. After Windows had copied the installation files to the harddisk and rebootet, i got this error.

3. I used nLite only to include the drivers and did not touch anything else. Using USB_Multiboot_10 i put the installation contents to my stick (NTFS formatted with the HP tool). [...],i got this error.

4. I used nLite only to include the drivers and did not touch anything else. Using WinSetupFromUSB-0.1.1.exe i put the installation contents to my stick(NTFS formatted with the HP tool). [...],i got this error.

I have also tried to manually change the Boot.ini file on the stick from this (using the last method):

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 0 part 1" /FASTDETECT

to this:

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 0 part 1" /FASTDETECT

with no success.

I changed the boot order in the bios with no success. What can i do???

Make BOOT.INI on the USB stick like this:

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 0 part 1" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 0 part 2" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 0 part 3" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 1 part 1" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 1 part 2" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 1 part 3" /FASTDETECT

As I get it you passed Text mode and you fail at starting GUI mode. Try the above options one by one. Add more lines if necessary, you should get the sequence.

Check FAQs:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=116766

Q4/A4.

Check this post too:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=815523

Does partition number as shown on partition screen at Text mode match partition(X) in BOOT.INI?

Do you have card readers in this machine? Try disabling them if possible. Is this a laptop or a desktop?

Try using another USB port for the USB stick.

Add more lines if necessary.

Could you elaborate on that?

Does partition number as shown on partition screen at Text mode match partition(X) in BOOT.INI?

i'm afraid I don't understand the question... let me eloborate on which step of the installation i am currently at.

I am using the last configuration i mentioned, using the WinSetupFromUSB-0.1.1.exe tool from these very forums, and a winxp pro cd cotaining the embedded SATA driver. Now i have already managed to partition the hdd using the windows text mode and the installation files have also already been cpied to the hdd. now the pc reboots, i am prompted to choose "windows XP (...) Setup- First and second parts" from a grub4dos window. i press enter and up comes a second grub4dos window containing two options of which the latter is highlighted automatically:

First part of WinXP Pro Setup

Second Part of XP PRo Setup+Start windows for first time

When i press enter at this stage, i get the error i mentioned above.

I did not recognise a number shown on the partition screen at text mode, where is it to be found?

Do you have card readers in this machine? Try disabling them if possible.

Not Possible.

Is this a laptop or a desktop?

It's a medion akoya e1210 netbook. specs.

From the bios i get the following info:

Intel Atom CPU N270@1.60 GHz

1024 MB DDR2

WDC WD800BEVS-

Try using another USB port for the USB stick.

Does not work.

WOW!

Success,

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 0 part 2" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 0 part 3" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 1 part 1" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 1 part 2" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 1 part 3" /FASTDETECT

Works! Thank you sir!

Edited by BdN3504

I did not recognise a number shown on the partition screen at text mode, where is it to be found?
From the post given you above:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...mp;#entry815523

magicalsnap200811020108jv3.th.jpg

The part you are playing with is partition(N), which should be the same as on the first screenshot, displaying where Windows is installed in- C: Partition2.

Do you see partition1, partition2 and so on? The number of the partition where Windows is being installed to has to match the one in BOOT.INI.

In the above example Windows is in partition2, so BOOT.INI must have partition(2). Got it?

The part in WinSetupFromUSB BOOT.INI adjustments was put there on purpose, tooltips for each element tell you what is what, just hold the mouse pointer above element ;)

magicalsnap200812012217kp3.th.jpg

Anyway, glad you made it :)

I'm sorry, but i was a bit hasty in my judgement :(

It sadly does not work, i just have come one dialogue further:

I am now asked which OS i want to start and am prompted two options of which the second is automatically highighted.

Second part of xp pro setup from hd x part y

Windos (Standard Configuration)

none of them works, i still get the error

I looked at the text mode and the partition is "partition1" on C:. So i have to use

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Home Edition setup from hd 0 part 1" /FASTDETECT

, right?

ish don't work!!!

Edited by BdN3504

Just correct BOOT.INI on the USB stick. Look the post above yours, understand what it says and fix your boot.ini.

Did you start from USB for second time, to continue installation? Did you start from USB for third time to log into Windows for first time? You have to start from USB 3 times:

1. Text mode part

2. GUI mode part

3. First start of windows

i start from usb all the time...

the prompt i mentioned is the "standard f8" if you know what i mean.

i currently have the line i mentioned in the post just above in the boot.ini

what i meant by partition1 is: my screen looks exactly as that on the screenshot, when i am in that textmode, only

the first entry in the list is C: Partition1[NTFS]

THis is HDD 0, ID=0 Bus=0 (on iaStor) [MBR]

Edited by BdN3504

If you cannot figure out how to amend BOOT.INI just post here your current BOOT.INI on the USB stick.

Take a picture of the partition screen during Text mode setup, post it here as well.

[boot Loader]

Timeout=15

[Operating Systems]

i don't have a camera right now, so i used my s***ty cell phone:

post-226274-1231426260_thumb.jpg

Open up BOOT.INI in the USB stick with Notepad, delete contents and copy-paste this:

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(3)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 2 part 1" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(4)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 3 part 1" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(5)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 4 part 1" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(6)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 5 part 1" /FASTDETECT

Go through Text mode again, delete ALL partitions on the internal disk and create a new single one. Install in it.

When starting Second part, try the above entries in the boot menu one by one.

Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 0 part 1

Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 1 part 1

Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 2 part 1

Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 3 part 1

Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 4 part 1

Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 5 part 1

Does one of them continue with the GUI mode? Which one? Use the same one to start Windows for first time.

I have only one single partition on the harddrive. you can see that in the screenshot. there somehow remains some 8 megs on the hd which i cannot incorporate into the partition which rests unallocated. but there is only one partition so that should not be the problem.

i have tried every single one of the options you mentioned.

does not work at all.

gets me to the f8 screen, where i am asked to chooose which operating system i want to start. then i choose it and i get the error.

same with the other options.

that is, first i get the 1st gui screen, then i get the scond gui screen and then comes said menu.

Can you elaborate about the F8 screen? Is that with the options about Safe mode, Safe mode with networking etc. etc. ?

What is the exact error message when you select which option? Is it on a blue background, with error code 0x0000007B or something similar?

If yes- try redoing the Text mode again, formatting the partition in question.

Do you have in BIOS options about the Hard disk mode IDE/SATA or AHCI off/on? Try disabling AHCI/setting it in IDE compatible mode.

Can you elaborate about the F8 screen? Is that with the options about Safe mode, Safe mode with networking etc. etc. ?
-yes. but it actually is the screen before that, the one where you select which os you wanna start. here is a picture, that is the exact window (just add the options you mentioned above, and that it's not vista but xp of course):

boot-screen.jpg

What is the exact error message when you select which option? Is it on a blue background, with error code 0x0000007B or something similar?

I have already posted the error message in my first post, here it is again. It comes up, no matter which option i choose.

And no, it is a black screen with a white/gray DoS message.

Do you have in BIOS options about the Hard disk mode IDE/SATA or AHCI off/on? Try disabling AHCI/setting it in IDE compatible mode.

-Yes, there is such an option. but i have successfully integrated the drivers needed for it to work, otherwise the whole thing would not have gone this far. BUt i will try disabling it, see if it changes anything. -it does not.

Edited by BdN3504

I am getting lost here.

You are saying you start from USB every time. On the USB disk you should not have anything about Vista or Ubuntu.

Using menus to launch Second part of setup (GUI mode) should not get you to the screen posted above. That's Vista's boot manager. Why are you saying it's not Vista? Where did it come from? Where did Ubuntu come from? Didn't you format the partition on your hard disk?

i don't have neither ubuntu nor vista, i just googled for that select os screen and that is the picture that came up. i don't have a camera atm that'S why i posted it. to show that it's not the f8 screen but the one before you get to it. i already mentioned what comes up at the screen see the posts above.