What Happened to Perpendicular HDD's?

What happened to perpendicular recording technology? It was supposed to be a big thing and I saw some seagate drives but never hear about it anymore. I've never seen HDD's touted that they're perpendicular vs the traditional (whatever they were called.)

Is it because they are all perpend. now or it didn't pan out.

Yeah just look at the tread I created and all the new members signing up to post in it...perpendicular HDD's can't be that good hey. But it seems HDD makers are using the technology so it must do something.

Edited by RiderZen

Yeah just look at the tread I created and all the new members signing up to post in it

Seriously, you're blowing this WAY out of proportion, just because of you and a handful of other guys with a defective drive from the seagate forums.

I have a about a dozen 7200.11's, and they've all been working great, for quite a while. Millions of people are perfectly happy with them. It only seems to be certain models, using a specific firmware, and with a serial that starts by 9Q or such that are affected. I wouldn't trade mine in for similar sized WDs either. There were millions of people affected by bad Fujitsus, deathstars and what not. Specific batches/series [of any type of product] having issues is nothing new, and it generally speaking doesn't mean much about the overall quality of their products. Every company has a problematic product at some point. But yeah, not all of them are so good or committed towards fixing them...

Anyways. They've been using perpendicular recording on other drives for a while, without any issues... Other companies are using it too.