This noise started a few days ago

rjisinspired

http://rjschat.dyndns.org:8080/test/compnoise.mp3

It happens suddenly then gradually stops and goes back to normal. The clicking will last a couple of minutes. Today I had used canned air on the CPU fan and power supply thinking it might had been dirt. Nothing is hitting the fans or is up against anything.

Right now my computer is quiet once again. If anyone has any idea what this sound is coming from, it would be great. Hopefully it isn't too bad of a problem.

well it would def. be somekind of moving part. when you think about moving parts the first thing that comes to mind is the fan's in which you said you blew out... but only other things it could be is the hard drive / cd-rom but the noise sounds to me not consistent enough for hard drive or cd-rom (being if it was the cd-rom you would know when you put in a cd). my bet is a cable is laying on the cpu fan when the case is closed or either case fan or ps fan

i would leave the side of the case off... and when the noise started again look inside and see what you can see and listen to where its comming from within your computer

First thing that came to mind for me was the hard drive heads, but this is normally heard as the "Click-O-Death" and your machine won't boot cause the drive is dead. Could still be a fan issue, when the noise occurs try stopping each of the fans to see if that stops the noise. If that doesn't do it the only other moving parts in a normal system are drives.

Thanks guys. What would you recommend to temporarily slow or stop a fan down? Don't want to use anything to hard.

Good thing is it doesn't appear to be coming from the hard drive. Then again my case is so small that it is difficult to figure out where the noise is coming from, point of origin. I'll have to deassemble the system. Fortunately the case slides out into pieces from both sides, top even the mobo tray.

Little video I did last night. Shows my computer and goes over the rumble and click sound again. It's a bit comical since I am a bit peeved with an adaware scan taking forever so I had to bleep a few parts. The focus gets better after around two minutes.

If you can take a screwdriver and use as a stethoscope place tip on hard drive, fan casing or any other moving parts until you hear the noise the loudest. I have in the past had some fan troubles making strange noises, and I found that CAREFULLY pressing on the center hub on a flat surface the hub would pop in a bit and the noise was gone.

john

Thanks guys. What would you recommend to temporarily slow or stop a fan down? Don't want to use anything to hard.

Finger works for those fans you cn get your finger to. Just press on the center hub, careful though some systems will shut down as a safety measure if they sense the fan(s) have stopped so don't have apps opened.

For PSU fans I've used toothpicks, something NON conductive.

Uhmmm yep. It is the PS. Also, there are a few capacitors that had partially melted. Not a pretty site actually. The I blocked the fans until I got to the PS and yep, that was it.

Before I can get a PS replacement I have to find out from the maker if a few of the connection are hardwired or not, I think a few may be. If so I will need to buy not only a new PS but also a new case, again.

Thanks for the suggestions and the help. Might be waiting as long as a few weeks though. $60.00 dollars for shipping it faster is out of the question.

Yep - warranty is voided upon opening up the PS.

The inside looks really grungy. Dirt looks like it is caked in places. I used canned air from time to time. No way am I going to attempt to deassemble the PS further, lol

According to ultra's support help, the PS can be removed by itself but there is a metal plate in the back-front of the case but it doesn't come out after unscrewing the four screws. There is a red and black wire being fed upward to - I have no idea where to. I don't want to snip wires just to disconnect the PS.

I can take a photo of the location if this may help anything.

That's a standard ATX power supply, the power supply should slide forward in case once the screws are removed. There may also be a clip holding it in place, I'm not familiar with that particular case. And the video doesn't help too much, too blurry. if you follow the wires to the from they are likely going to a fan and should have a connector on them somewhere you can disconnect.

This is the power supply for the type of computer I have:
I hope you go for something better this time, something that doesn´t have bad capacitors and a fan that lives a bit longer.

The name Ultra says it all, it´s "ultra" cheap and there for "ultra" dangerous to use (if you like “ultra” dangerous I would go for it, makes life less boring), you should be glad that the PSU didn´t take out your motherboard and other devices ;).