I can't use 4 HDD and DVD in my PC?

I have motherboard Intel D865PERL with supply power 550W,I can't used 4 HDD and DVD in same time if do that will hear sound from my one HDD and stay in intel logo!!!is there way to put them all?

-WD 40GB (IDE)

-WD 250GB (SATA+normal power)

-WD 80 GB (IDE)

-Samsung 250 (SATA+SATA power)

-LG DVD (IDE)

supply power 550W

Wattage by itself doesn't mean much. Some 350W PSUs could handle that, whereas some generic 550W PSUs could die with that kind of load. What model is it?

The other thing that comes to mind is, why keep 4 old tiny hard drives? Just the hard drives by themselves cost you around $40/year in power, whereas you can get a modern and very fast 640GB'er for like $70 if you shop around. More space, less power, lesser electricity bills. The drive will pay for itself several times.

Edit: looks like puntoMX beat me to it.

Edited by crahak

Also, if the SATA drives are in IDE Emulation, you can not have any more than 4 IDE devices in a PC at any one time (only 2 channels, 4 devices).

That's not completely true. It 2 devices per channel, 2 channels per controller. Depending on the controller setup, there may be more then one SATA controller, also, IIRC even in IDE emulation mode, I believe most chipsets emulate more then one controller to allow all SATA ports to be used in IDE mode. Most of the time, the SATA ports are split up over two controllers as well.

Also, if the SATA drives are in IDE Emulation, you can not have any more than 4 IDE devices in a PC at any one time (only 2 channels, 4 devices).

That's not completely true. It 2 devices per channel, 2 channels per controller. Depending on the controller setup, there may be more then one SATA controller, also, IIRC even in IDE emulation mode, I believe most chipsets emulate more then one controller to allow all SATA ports to be used in IDE mode. Most of the time, the SATA ports are split up over two controllers as well.

That is true, but this being an 865 chipset, the IDE and SATA come off the same ICH5 controller and supports up to 4 IDE devices (emulated or otherwise). Only when the SATA ports are in SATA mode will you be able to get 6 devices onto a mobo with this chipset unless the vendor added a separate controller, which Intel did not with this board - therefore, I think this may actually be what is happening, and not a PSU problem.

Intel® 865PE Chipset 
- Supports FSB 800/533/400MHz
- Supports AGP 8X interface
- Supports DDR 400/333/266 memory interface

Intel® ICH5 Chipset
- Hi-Speed USB (USB2.0) controller, 480Mb/sec, 8 ports
- 2 Serial ATA/150 ports
- 2 channel Ultra ATA 100 bus Master IDE controller
- PCI Master v2.3, I/O APIC
- Supports both ACPI and legacy APM power management