New XP3/IE7/WMP11/DX9 build

leozack

=====Post Nº 1 =====

Last february I finally managed to build an xpsp2 cd with ie7, wmp11, dx9 and some addons, without any noticable problems, though it took a few painful months to get right.

But as good as it was, it still had some issues - like after installing on a pc and setting up as a master for ghosting, and running sysprep, when it booted back up (or was ghosted to other pcs which were then booted back up) it would always ask for a couple of files which it couldn't find. The only way round this seemingly (possibly aswell as issues regarding looking for hotfix/update info) was to copy the xpsp2 cd to the hd eg c:xpsp2 and set the windows isntall source to there using a regfile

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionSetup]
"Installation Sources"=hex(7):43,00,3a,00,5c,00,58,00,50,00,53,00,50,00,32,00,
"SourcePath"="C:XPSP2"
"ServicePackSourcePath"="C:XPSP2"
"CDInstall"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersion]
"RegisteredOrganization"="Username"
"RegisteredOwner"="Orgname"
"SourcePath"="C:XPSP2I386"

Now after sysprepping I could just point to c:xpsp2 and it would find the files and carry on with the mini setup. It would still occasionally open a dialog saying "some files have changed, please insert the windows cd" to which I press cancel and it says "are you sure you want to keep these files" and I say yes. When I make these cds I always leave SFC and DEP etc turned on as I don't want to mess with windows.

The only other issue was as soon as you integrate ie7 you seem to get a few errors in the setup logfile though they're all harmless it seems.

My final build order was this

E:XPSP2LiteUpdatesAddonsDirectX9.0cNovember2007AddOn0.3.4CNC.7z
E:XPSP2LiteUpdatesXablexable-SP2-UpdatePack-February-v3.0.8a.7z
E:XPSP2LiteUpdatesHotfixesWindows-KB909520-v1.000-x86-ENU.exe
E:XPSP2LiteUpdatesHotfixesWindowsXP-KB896344-v2-x86-ENU.exe
E:XPSP2LiteUpdatesHotfixesWindowsXP-KB904942-v2-x86-ENU.exe
E:XPSP2LiteUpdatesHotfixesWindowsXP-KB914440-v12-x86-ENU.exe
E:XPSP2LiteUpdatesHotfixesWindowsXP-KB920342-x86-ENU.exe
E:XPSP2LiteUpdatesHotfixesWindowsXP-KB925876-x86-ENU.exe
E:XPSP2LiteUpdatesHotfixesWindowsXP-KB936357-v2-x86-ENU.exe
E:XPSP2LiteUpdatesIE7IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe
E:XPSP2LiteUpdatesIE7IE7-WindowsXP-KB938127-x86-ENU.exe
E:XPSP2LiteUpdatesIE7IE7-WindowsXP-KB939653-x86-ENU.exe
E:XPSP2LiteUpdatesIE7IE7-WindowsXP-KB944533-x86-ENU.exe
E:XPSP2LiteUpdatesXablexable_MicrosoftUpdateEngine-v1.1_addon.cab
E:XPSP2LiteUpdatesXablexable_OUE-OGA-v1.6_addon.cab
E:XPSP2LiteUpdatesXablexable_WGAN-v1.1_addon.cab
E:XPSP2LiteUpdatesAddonsRogueSpearAddonsDotNET20SP1.zip
E:XPSP2LiteUpdatesAddonsNR_UPHC_Addon.cab
E:XPSP2LiteUpdatesAddonsRicks_7-Zip4.56b_AddOn.rar
E:XPSP2LiteUpdatesAddonsRicks_ToolTipFixer1.0.1_AddOn.rar

But onto NOW ...

I want to make an xpsp3 cd (I've slipstreamed sp3 into a clean xpsp0 vlk source) and I want to add ie7, wmp11, dx9 and so on. The problem is, so far my experiments haven't gone well :( I tried to use the WPI wizard util to get IE7/WMP11 to install after first reboot but that didn't work. Then I tried integrating them and got an error from booogy's wmp integrator correctly finding duplicatedirectory id's in txtsetup.sif.

So I'm wondering ... what should I integrate, and how, in what order?

I've substituted the DX addona bove for an addon of DX from march08, and I've subbed that dotNET installer for one that includes 3/3.5 and succesfully integrates them also. My last build order looked like this

[Hotfixes]
E:XPLiteUpdatesXablexable_MicrosoftUpdateEngine-v1.1_addon.cab
E:XPLiteUpdatesXablexable_OUE-OGA-v1.6_addon.cab
E:XPLiteUpdatesAddonsRicks_GenuineAdvantage_AddOn_71107.7z
E:XPLiteUpdatesAddonsJD976_Stimpy_DotNetFX3.5SP1_Addon_v2.0.7z
E:XPLiteUpdatesAddonsNR_UPHC_Addon.cab
E:XPLiteUpdatesAddonsRicks_7-Zip4.56b_AddOn.rar
E:XPLiteUpdatesAddonsRicks_ToolTipFixer1.0.1_AddOn.rar
E:XPLiteUpdatesAddonsDirectX_9.0c_March08_AddOn_0.3_-_redxii.7z

but after installing I found WGA was missing and windows update wanted 898461, office update was missing, WGA was missing (so it asked me to install it to run an WGA check for a download) and so on :( does anyone have a definateive list/method yet which works? I'd also like it to not throw up file requests after being sysprepped, though I think once again if you DO integrate ie7 you will always get those file requests after sysprepping? Maybe not

----------------

Just did an install of just xp with sp3 slipstreamed and nlite tweaks applied to remove stuff etc. Nothing in the setuperr.log but in setuplog.txt

I downloaded the xpsp3 deploy.cab and used the sysprep tool and set it to run the minisetup. After rebooting it asked for a file - I pointed it to c:windowssystem and it seemed happy. But then it asked for 8514fix.fon. I found a previous post I'd made this year

http://www.msfn.org/board/c-20127nls-error....html&st=60

and it seems someone had an answer! I just commented out the line InstallFilesPath=c:sysprepi386 and sure enough after sysprepping and rebooting it didn't ask for anything! What a freakin releif!

Now ... to get ie7/wmp11/dx9/WGA/MSU/MSOU + those addons all working

PS - just ran MSU and checked for updates. installed IE7/WMP11 then ran MSU checking again. I noted them into the attached textfile. Any comments/tips for those other than downloading em all and adding to nlite integration welcome (yeah I could use an sp3update addonpack but figure that might cause more issues on the resulting install?)

=====Post Nº 2 =====

No thoughts anyone? Someone must have some pointers/help to pass on :/

=====Post Nº 3 =====

OK well noone seesm to be replying, great -_-

As it happens I think I've had success with the following :

Slipstream SP3 into clean XP pro VLK

Run boogy's WMP11 slipstreamer with these updates :

windowsmedia11-kb928788-x86-intl.exe

windowsmedia11-kb929399-v2-x86-intl.exe

windowsmedia11-kb929773-x86-intl.exe

windowsmedia11-kb932390-x86-intl.exe

windowsmedia11-kb933547-x86-intl.exe

windowsmedia11-kb935551-x86-intl.exe

windowsmedia11-kb935552-x86-intl.exe

windowsmedia11-kb939209-x86-intl.exe

WindowsMedia11-KB939683-x86-ENU.exe

windowsmedia11-kb944882-x86-intl.exe

windowsmedia11-kb945381-x86-intl.exe

windowsmedia11-kb950478-x86-intl.exe

windowsmedia11-kb954067-x86-intl.exe

WindowsMedia11-KB954154-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB941569-x86-ENU.EXE

Run nLite with these integrations :

E:XPLiteUpdatesIE7NR_IE7en_Addon_2.0.3.7z

E:XPLiteUpdatesXableXUpdatePack-SP3-v1.0.7.7z

E:XPLiteUpdatesAddonsJD976_Stimpy_DotNetFX3.5SP1_Addon_v2.0.7z

E:XPLiteUpdatesAddonsDirectX_9.0c_March08_AddOn_0.3_-_redxii.7z

E:XPLiteUpdatesXablexable_OUE-OGA-v1.7_addon.cab

E:XPLiteUpdatesXablexable_MicrosoftUpdateEngine-v1.4_addon.cab

E:XPLiteUpdatesXablexable_WGAN-v1.4_addon.cab

E:XPLiteUpdatesAddonsNR_UPHC_Addon.cab

E:XPLiteUpdatesAddonsRicks_7-Zip4.56b_AddOn.rar

E:XPLiteUpdatesAddonsRicks_ToolTipFixer1.0.1_AddOn.rar

Then run nlite again doing all my tweaks & removals etc and save to ISO.

Run windowbox and install from the ISO.

I've then tested things and it seems to all be present and correct, though some of it isn't in add/remove but has been integrated it seems.

Sysprep works fine as long as I comment out the line "InstallFilesPath=c:sysprepi386" in sysprep.inf so that's good.

Windows update/genuine advantage seem to be on there nicely working.

So I think that's all good! I can start putting it to use.

However I'm trying a few more things atm. Like setting the setup mode to classic (doesn't seem to speed anything up and means you lose the timer (T13 etc), I've tried setting nlite unattended install settings to prompt for repair install - however this has the following unwanted side effects : (obviously it adds the repair option at the start of txtsetup), you have to agree to the EULA at start of txtsetup mode and a EULA at the start of mainsetup mode, plus OOBE runs after installing - forcing you to select whether to do autoupdates, skip net setup, skip registering, and make an admin useraccount! Not wanted at all. So I guess I won't have cds that can do repair installs :(

Also trying to get a runonce line in nlite unatended install settings of "regedit /s %SOURCE%ie7wmp11.reg" which as you'd guess adds a regfile with tweaks for ie7 & wmp11. Haven't installed with that option yet but hopefully it'll work now!

----------------- Edit :

Ok so the regentry worked, that's good to know. I also ran the repairinstall over the previus install and it asked for the EULA on those 2 occasions again, didnt' ask for pcname anymore as it was a repair install, the OOBE did run, but only asked about autoupdates and registering, and the annoying hardware missing drivers poped back up for "Battery", which has DeviceID ACPIACPI0003\0. I dunno if it's anything to do wiht the fact it's running in windowbox not a real pc, but this has never happened on any install til I tried making a repairable build cd - so all the above side effects are aused by making it repairable (more if it's a fresh install, a couple less if it's a repair install).

Anyone? O_o

=====Post Nº 4 =====

Despite the fact noone has replied I'll add to this. I'm about ot start using the cd though currently in the eventlog I get the following errors

Application EVent Errors
EventID 10005
Source MsiInstaller
Product: Micrsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 -- Error 2004, Method SHGetFolderPath failed. HRESULT:

0x80004005.

EventID 10005
Source MsiInstaller
Product: Micrsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 -- Error 2004, Method GetFontCacheData failed. HRESULT:

0x80004005.

Application EVent Warnings

Source System.ServiceModel.Ins
HTTP namespace reservations are not installed

HttpModules node ServiceModel does not exist in System.Web section group

HttpHandlers node *.svc does not exist in System.Web section group

All compilation assembly nodes do not exist in System.Web section group

A configuration entry for BuildProvider System.ServiceModel.Activation.ServiceBuildProvider, System.ServiceModel,

Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 does not exist

Could not detect IIS installation or IIS is disabled

That and the usual ones saying IIS isn't installed. I guess these are harmless though since everything works, including a .net 2 program I tried (coudln't find more recent requiring ones), and even after a sysprep it's all ok.

I guess I don't need to copy the cd contents to the HD anymore and set it as the install source, though maybe I still should regardless O_o

xpsp3_updates.txt

Edited by Yzöwl
Four concurrent posts merged into one.

Me to am trying to make an SP3 + all the post SP3 hotfixes + dx9 + wmp11 + ie7 + .net frameworks install cd, and i don't even know where to start.. i'm not sure where to download all the updates and how to integrate them (and i really do want to integrate, not just make them run after install..)

• 2 months later...
Me to am trying to make an SP3 + all the post SP3 hotfixes + dx9 + wmp11 + ie7 + .net frameworks install cd, and i don't even know where to start.. i'm not sure where to download all the updates and how to integrate them (and i really do want to integrate, not just make them run after install..)

Doesn't SP3 already include the latest DX9?

• 4 months later...

Anyone got any updates for this?

It's been a while since I built my last CD (7-8 months) and I now want to build one with more recent udpates like .net 3.5 sp1 family etc etc.

So my core updates wanted would be XPSP3 with the following :

Run boogy's WMP11 slipstreamer with these updates : (I don't think any more are available since nov 08?)

windowsmedia11-kb928788-x86-intl.exe
windowsmedia11-kb929399-v2-x86-intl.exe
windowsmedia11-kb929773-x86-intl.exe
windowsmedia11-kb932390-x86-intl.exe
windowsmedia11-kb933547-x86-intl.exe
windowsmedia11-kb935551-x86-intl.exe
windowsmedia11-kb935552-x86-intl.exe
windowsmedia11-kb939209-x86-intl.exe
WindowsMedia11-KB939683-x86-ENU.exe
windowsmedia11-kb944882-x86-intl.exe
windowsmedia11-kb945381-x86-intl.exe
windowsmedia11-kb950478-x86-intl.exe
windowsmedia11-kb954067-x86-intl.exe
WindowsMedia11-KB954154-x86-ENU.exe
WindowsXP-KB941569-x86-ENU.EXE

Run nLite with these integrations : (I've tried to include uptodate versions?)

E:\XPLite\Updates\IE7\NR_IE7en_Addon_2.0.4a.7z
E:\XPLite\Updates\Xable\XUpdatePack-SP3-v1.0.17.7z
E:\XPLite\Updates\Addons\Stimpy_JD976_DotNetFx_3in1_Addon_v2.2.7z
E:\XPLite\Updates\Addons\red-xii_DirectXRuntimes-200903-Addon-32.7
E:\XPLite\Updates\Xable\xable_OUE-OGA-v1.8_addon.cab
E:\XPLite\Updates\Xable\xable_MicrosoftUpdateEngine-v1.5_addon.cab
E:\XPLite\Updates\Xable\xable_WindowsUpdateEngine-v1.3_addon.cab
E:\XPLite\Updates\Xable\xable_WGAN-v1.6_addon.cab
E:\XPLite\Updates\Xable\xable_WGAV-v1.5_addon.cab
E:\XPLite\Updates\Addons\NR_UPHC_Addon.cab
E:\XPLite\Updates\Addons\Ricks_7-Zip4.56b_AddOn.rar
E:\XPLite\Updates\Addons\xable_Foxit-v3.1_addon.cab
E:\XPLite\Updates\Addons\Ricks_ToolTipFixer1.0.1_AddOn.rar

Hopefully all this will work again as it did before - though I'd like to not have errors in the event log? :/ I don't mind dotnet installing at T13 as it still doesn't require any interaction so that's ok

--------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE :

OK so I just made an install with that, and I get the following in MSupdate online (there is other things but I don't want those installed)

High Priority
Update to .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 for the .NET Framework Assistant 1.0 x86 kb963707
Cumulative Security Updates for IE7 for XP kb969897
Update for XP kb959772
Update for XP kb961118
Security Update for XP SP3 kb952069

Optional
Update for Root Certificates [My 2009] kb943729
Windows Powershell 1.0 for XP kb909520
MS Base Smart Card Cryptographic Service Provider Package x86 kb926139
Group Policy Preference Client Side Extensions for XP kb931125

I've downloaded all of them except the .NET kb963707 which I can't seem to download and which seems to be for firefox yet my clean install system has no firefox? So why does it show in windows update! O_o Hopefully I can add the rest anway as hotfixes with nLite but maybe I'm missing something? And surely I'd have to add them AFTER integration since they're updating stuff that gets integrated? I guess I can't do .NET updates anyway because that doesn't install until T13? Blah :/ The rest should be ok though?

I also still get the errors in event viewer about .net framework (posted previously) and IIS/ASP - don't think I can shift those but don't think they cause any issues either!

Also I made a RunOnceEX in nLite's options saying %SOURCE%\FirstRun.bat and I made a batfile (not knowing when it fires off exactly and if you would see it visually or not) that says

@echo off

echo Copying local i386 source to c:\i386

if not exist c:\i386 md c:\i386
cd i386
xcopy /e /i /h *.* c:\i386\
cd..

echo Registering c:\i386 source

regedit /s IE7WMP11.reg

It seems you don't see it - maybe it goes in at T13? I thought it was when you first logged on. Anyway it made the c:\i386 folder no problem - but it didn't copy the contents of %SOURCE%\i386 in :( If I run the FirstRun.bat from the CD once I'm logged in it copies everything over no problem - so what's wrong? I just wanted to save myself time copying the i386 folder from the CD to C:\i386 without waiting for me to come back to the machine and do it manually.

Edited by leozack

leozack, I use RunOnce out of nLite's Unattended section - guess that is what you are talking about. It runs right after my user account logs on but before the Theme is installed. I see it run, but I do not have '@Echo Off', and would suggest you remove it. I also install .NET and its updates (from the RunOnce exit) with no errors in the System Event log. The latest .NET update is for Firefox support, but I assume MS has no way of detecting if Firefox is installed on your computer. I installed it just to keep WUD quiet. I am not sure what you are asking, but you might try using the $OEM$ folder. See this. Please restate your question(s) and, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. Enjoy, John.

I must confess - I never used the runonce section in nlite before I always added things as addons/hotfixes. I only used it to run the reg file and now to run that batch I made which isn't copying the files that it should but it does ifI run the batch file directly from the cd after install? :/

I guess I could move stuff like .net out of addon and into runonce. But I'd rather the installation completed without me being at the pc loggin on else I'd have to revisit the pc then leave it again running all the runonce stuff (.net takes ages and I loved having it happen T13 without needing to be at the PC after T33 pc name input).

You mention runonce exit - is this specified differently from normal runonce section?

Not sure what you meant about the $OEM$ folder, I remove that stuff

The method I got most success with was :

- slipstream sp

- slipstream wmp11

- run nlite with addons/hotfixes

- run nlite with component removal/tweaks/etc

- run nlite and make bootable iso

- boot with virtual box and test out

leozack, you did not present a list of problems/questions, so again, I don't know what you are asking. I am not suggesting that you move .NET from AddOns to RunOnce in Unattended (the same as my reference to RunOnce exit - your reference to RunOnceEx confused me because that is something else again). I was only pointing out that I use RunOnce to install .NET and updates and get no errors. I will strongly advise you to run nLite only ONCE as I pointed out in my last reply. Running nLite multiple times against the same source can only lead to grief. There is no reason you cannot have a completely unattended install - I do. The $OEM$ folder, as detailed in the link I provided, can be used to copy files/folders into various folders without using copy commands. I use it to place stuff into the Windows, System32 and other folders. If you will attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini, perhaps we can determine why your batch file does not run. Enjoy, John.

Well there's my last session ini from the runthrough that does the tweaks etc. The addons/hotfixes were done on a previous run. I did this when I was practicing wiht XPSP2 builds to see where problems were coming from, and so that I could reaplly different tweaks etc without having to reintegrate everything again. It seemed to work fine. I know it's perhaps not great ot run nlite over the same source but since I only do the integrations on 1 run then only the tweaks on another run it should be identical to running both sections on the same run really?

I can't copy files using $OEM$ because as I thought I pointed out - I want to copy the WHOLE of the i386 folder on the cd to c:\i386 before I use reg settings to make that the windows 'source' in the registry. So I can't use $OEM$.

You say your instlalation is compeltely unattended (I have to do the textmode part then give the pcname at T33 and everything else is unattended). But you said you do addons and hotfixes etc at guirunonce section in nlite - not via the addon integration section in nlite. Doesn't this mean a longer install time and a less slim install (since original files are installed and THEN addons etc go in, seems to remove the slimmer cleaner quicker install point of integration)? Doesn't that mean you have to logon for it to finish installing? Or does guirunonce happen before you ever get to the logon box? If so I wouldn't mind doing things here because it's still part of the process I set up and leave at the start. That's where my batchfile is supposed to run currently and copy i386 to C. But it makes the c:\i386 folder but doesn't copy anything :/

LAST_SESSION.INI

leozack, here is what my RunOnce code looks like.

TimeOut /T 40
CMD /R %Source%Run1_XP-64.bat

This comes from Kurt_Aust's excellent guide for XP x64. He insists that the timeout is required. I do not know - I don't question. But do notice there is no backslash between %Source% and the name of the batch file. This means that the %Source% contains the trailing backslash. My installation is completely unattended after text mode, of course. I select the partition and the format, then leave and when I get back my system is on the Desktop of the Autologon user account I created and all that I am going to do is completed. It takes about 20 to 25 minutes on my VM under VMware Server. I am not really concerned about having the fastest install because in the final analysis, I will install very few times when I finish my next system build. I attach my Last Session (only one!), so you can see what I am doing. Along with what you see here, I am installing a number of items (but not nearly all) as shown in Kurt_Aust's post. I use AddOns, hot fixes, drivers, tweaks etc in nLite and the batch file to do the remainder. I use the $OEM$ to place files/folders as I need. I get no logon box because I set up AutoLogon. My ISO is huge, about 2.6 GB. This is fine with me since it is a little more than half a DVD and contains all the code I know I will need on my system. Since at this time I am still testing (Using VMware), the time to install does not bother me. Sometime, when I am chasing a bug, I may do several installs in one day.

You ask if running nLite in a certain sequence is the same as running it once. I cannot answer this question - only nuhi (owner/author) can. The nLite web site points out some sequences that work, but it does not show any (and especially not all) that don't work. I have seen plenty, including my own, cases where strange symptoms crop up and are cured by simply running nLite one time. I know of no compelling reason not to do it this way. But, you are the one building ISOs and can do it the way you prefer. I would just ask that you state that you are running nLite in multiple runs in the future if you have problems, so that repliers can help you better. Enjoy, John.

g-force, the 'Color 4F' sets the background to red and the foreground (characters) to white. I just got tired of the black command dialog. As I stated in my last post, I am not sure why the Timeout is required. The /R is the same as /C, execute the command and terminate. Kurt_Aust can answer more definitively. Enjoy, John.

johnhc - since I never used runonce before other than to run a regfile that worked - you alk about autologons at 1 point - I've never had to use any autologon at all as everything was integrated or installed T13.

If I move .NET out of T13 into runonce (and the .net requiring addon I have is also moved there after it) then will I need autologons to complete everything and run my batchfile etc? Or not?

leozack, since I have not seen your Last Session that shows how you are integrating .NET and I am not sure what you mean by 'installed at T-13', I cannot tell you what effect will occur. I am not suggesting for you to move anything. I am simple pointing out how I do it, so you can see the options. That is also why I posted the link to Kurt_Aust's thread. In my install, after the last reboot, AutoLogon starts my defined account and then the RunOnce called batch file runs. After this my account initialization completes and I then run WPI (Windows Post Install, see forum a couple below) to install more programs, tweaks and etc. This Last Session missing the drivers/hot fixes is just another consequence of running nLite multiple times, now you have multiple Last Sessions to keep up with. I have only one, so when I want to make a few changes and run nLite again, I have a safe starting point (my one and only saved Last Session). Enjoy, John.