convert UACD to UAUSB

darksimoon

hello friends

i need a simple guide but there are complicated ones everywhere. and i am disappointed :( the matter is unattended install from usb disk. so let me ask like this: how can i convert my usual unattended cd into usb form. i want to use usb disk as if installing xp unattended from CD. no multiboot, no extras, no 64 bit support, no bartPE no batch files etc.

i need to understand what goes to where for what ? i dont want "one click" or instant solutions. pls provide me some link or info. i want to start from some where. i believe this info will be helpfull for every beginner as a first step.

thanks in advance for helping me in the knowledge sea. :)

WinSetupFromUSB already does all that, did you try it? What part of the unattended setup fails?

If your source is prepared for unattended install, it will be transferred to USB as such, there are very few limitations left.

BTW I am assuming UACD stands for unattended CD, not for a custom made jumbo nlited, with hexedited files all-in-one XP/2003/2000 DVD/CD :)

hi ilko_t

thank you for your suggestion. i will try it. at least i know where to start. however what i want exactly is how to do it manually, step by step. because if i know it i can add extras i want later. or i can improve new ideas that fits my needs. so step by step stages are important for me.

How to you make your UACD? There is no much difference, forget for now about USB, prepare your source as you do usually and then transfer it to the USB.

If you ask a specific question I might be able to help you some more.

ok ilco_t let do it then :)

i have a working usual unattended cd. no nlite etc. and i copied its content to root of my usb disk. (i386, $oem$,win51 etc.) then i wanted to start it by below command by means of grub4dos. (i plan to change the grub4dos with aero studio later. at this stage its not important.)

title unattended install

find --set-root /i386/setupldr.bin

chainloader /i386/setupldr.bin

setup begins and then give an error; "...txtsetup is missing or corrupt...status 14" i think i have to change something in setupldr.bin and txtsetup.sif. if so pls tell me what to change. if not i expect your suggestion.

meanwlihe i thank you for your willing to help me sincerely :)

@darksimon

Well, no.

I mean let's try not to re-invent the wheel. ;)

\I386 is the path hardcoded in SETUPLDR.BIN when run on removable media (like a CD or superfloppy, with NO MBR) - common between SETUP and PE booting

\minint is the path hardcoded in SETUPLDR.BIN when run on "fixed" media (like a HD, with MBR) - only for PE booting

\$winnt.~bt$ is the path hardcoded in SETUPLDR.BIN when run on "fixed" media (like a HD, with MBR) - only for SETUP booting

If you want to re-start from the beginning, you will need to go through all the "historical thread":

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=61384

where you will find all the steps that led us to the current working solution, and possibly find where to "deviate" from the taken path and introduce the variations.

Just in case, read these seemingly unrelated threads:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=17504

http://www.msfn.org/board/Solution-multibo...-Wi-t58410.html

jaclaz

hi jaclaz :)

after reading your answer i understand that my question occurs lack of the knowledge about the nature of installation prosess. the only hardcoded path i know is i386. now i see that there are other paths that i dont know. anyway i have to master other topics that you give its links. so thank you very much. let me begin to read. :)