im freakin LOSING it here

breadandbubbles

i asked for help on setting up a home server. i waited patiently. i provided information.

ive spent every night since that day googling. and reading. and going crazy.

i know you guys think people usually ask stupid questions because they havent bothered to work it out on their own. and thats usually true. but SOMETIMES, people are just too STUPID and need HELP.

PLEASE. for the LOVE OF GOD. its 1AM, FIFTEEN days later, and i STILL cant set up a basic FTP server. why? because my windows is faulty? because im an id***? i dont know. i have no idea.

so here i am using what little sanity i have left to beg for some kindness.

ftp server? anyone?

i added the role. i set it up. i put my ip addresss and port into filezilla, and...NOTHING. i get a 425. over and over and over and over and over again.

what i wanted was my own domain, that asked for a password then linked over SSL to my home ftp server. now i dont even care. that was WAY to ambitious. now i just want the ftp server.

any mother teresa's out there with 2 or 3 minutes to spare?

did i offend you guys?

Nah. It's just that some topics take a bit of time to answer thoroughly, and sometimes we all get lazy :blushing:

i know you guys think people usually ask stupid questions because they havent bothered to work it out on their own. and thats usually true. but SOMETIMES, people are just too STUPID and need HELP.

That can also be an issue. I totally understand it might all seem a bit complicated for some (basically everybody in computing eventually hit their level where it just becomes too complicated -- some just reach that point faster). But it's also hard for us to judge between those that need the help, and those just too lazy to do their own "homework".

Start with the simple things. Forget about the domain for now, you can work that part out later once your FTP works.

Basic steps:

1. Install some FTP server app (there's dozens of those, use whatever you like best/suits your needs)
  2. Setup some basic account you can use to connect with (test it locally to make sure it works before bothering with the following steps)
  3. Open the necessary ports in your router and/or firewall (all depends on your network config, what port(s) you setup the FTP server to use, etc) Also note some ISPs actually block port 21/80 and such (and lots of script kiddies scan those common service ports specifically, and then try to hack into them...) This should make it work from the outside
  4. Setup PASV mode and such things (so it works when you're both being NAT and all that), you might a dyndns entry for that, and to open a port range for it
  5. Setup the other stuff e.g. user accounts/permissions and all that stuff

Ideally, you'd need someone to help you test it (see if it works remotely/ports are open).

Anyways. Myself I don't open ports for that kind of stuff, if I want something, I just VPN in.

i have my old post http://www.msfn.org/board/opening-world-t125235.html. i dont know if that helps with a few details

believe it or not, i think you went over my head here. my understanding with VPn is that you need some sort of client installed on the remote pc to access the server? third party software isnt an option for me. IE is available everywhere, so that was my goal. i am a little concerned about security though...

you said install the ftp server app, but doesnt server 2008 have that built in? thats what i was trying to use anyway...

and ive never been able to make it work locally. its driving me crazy. i go through the whole ftp wizard. am i messing something up? for my ip i put my servers internal ip (192.168....). and port 21. just to make it work locally. as i said i keep getting 425's.

my understanding regarding 425's is that its usually a permissions issue? or a firewall issue. but since im using server 2008's built in ftp thing, i wasnt expecting any problems with its firewall. and i have my home directory fully shared, as far as i know. maybe i did it wrong. i havent even tried getting to the virtual directories yet.

so thats where im at. i dont even really know how to test it. i went to internet explorer on my server, and put in the ip. 192.168.1.102. nothing happened. so i tried adding the port. 192.168.1.102:21. and still nothing. then i tried the same thing from my other pc on the lan. nothing.

so thats where im at. i think you were giving me too much credit with half of your response there! i cant even get it to work locally.

Edited by breadandbubbles

The link you gave is not clickable.

This is the "right" one:

http://www.msfn.org/board/opening-world-t125235.html

What you initially asked was not "how do I setup a FTP server" and definitely not "how do I setup the Windows Server 2008 FTP service", it was more like:

id like to type in https://www.breadandbubbles.com. it asks me for a password, i give it, and a folder tree appears representing all the files on the my server, available for me to transfer to my current laptop a thousand miles away. a fancy GUI would be nice. but a simple folder tree would be wonderful in itself.

is ftp my answer?

thing is, i know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about networking.

im not looking for a hand-out here. no step by steps. that would be great, but ideally im just looking for some leads from you guys. anyone know of any tips? any well written howtos? websites that can help? anyone who can get my started?

So the advice I can give is BEFORE anything else, take some time around this site:

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/

Any advice guys here on MSFN will probably be able to give you will assume a minimum of familairity with network related terms and concepts.

In any case the built-in FTP server in Windows 2008 is an "advanced" type of Server:

http://www.downloadjunkie.co.uk/2007/12/set-up-and-mana.html

http://www.zftpserver.com/

You may want to experiment a bit with simple third party FTP servers, like the one above or any of these (they are all easier to setup):

http://freeftpd.com/?ctt=download

http://filezilla-project.org/

This should be the "easiest":

http://www.pablosoftwaresolutions.com/html...ftp_server.html

jaclaz

my understanding with VPn is that you need some sort of client installed on the remote pc to access the server?

yes.

third party software isnt an option for me.

Why is that? There's totally free & legit software that's FAR better for the job... And tons of commercial options too.

IE is available everywhere, so that was my goal. i am a little concerned about security though...

IE is the worst browser, and it truly sucks at FTP (rather unsurprisingly: it's a web browser, not a ftp client). Plus, it likely won't work for a lot of people, depending on their config options (things like PASV mode), and they tend to misbehave (open more connections than necessary, not close them, etc). It's pretty ghetto.

Also, security wise, FTP is never the best choice, as credentials are sent unencrypted and such. And if you have it on port 21 and such, you'll likely have script kiddies trying to hack it (I'd keep a good eye on the logs all the time! trying dictionary attacks on it, trying every known exploit code against it, trying to tag it, trying ftp bounce attacks, etc) Lots of other little things (like having to open a port range in your firewall for it to work "fully")

you said install the ftp server app, but doesnt server 2008 have that built in? thats what i was trying to use anyway...

No version of Windows comes with a "real" FTP server. It does however come with a web/app server (IIS), which can be "shoehorned" into a FTP server. IIS truly rocks as a web (ASP.Net apps) & app server (server middleware), but when it comes to FTP, it's possibly the worst server I've ever seen (it's great except for FTP).

But like jaclaz said, you need to make yourself familiar with the basic concepts of networking, TCP/IP, FTP and such to do such things.

well, i took your advice, deciding on filezilla, and i lost a little more hair.

i installed the server. and as SOON as i run it, it wants me to CONNECT to a server. WTF is it talking about? i want to CREATE one, not connect to one! i dont want a client. i want a server. wtf is going on...

i go to file, and my only options are 'connect to server', 'disconnect', or 'quit'.

online, all the googling i did has people telling me to go to 'options', and change this, or that. but it isnt there! its all greyed out! im f***ed!

guys. please what the hell? everywhere i go online says this takes five minutes. this is supposed to be the easiest thing in the world, and im just trying not to cry.

can someone please tell me how to CREATE a server? please? just a hint?

just an update. i put my servers ip in when it wants to connect, jsut to see what would happen, and the port i chose during setup. just toi see what would happen. naturally, NOTHING DID. it wants a password too, but i dont know what the f*** its talking about.

ive spent way too many hours on this. i think im going to give up, and ask for an external harddrive for christmas. i cant even look at my computer anymore without wanting to throw up.

I've used BulletProof Server and CuteFTP Server in the past with good results. Just install the apps and read the help files. What you may need is a way to access your server from the outside, and that is what servbices like http://www.no-ip.com/ are for. You are asking for someone to hold your hand from A to Z, but from what I've read I don't know whether you are behind a router, have a dynamic or static IP addy from your provider, or even why you are having so much trouble. FileZilla is both an FTP client and server. Are you certain it was the server app? Setting up a server is basically telling it what files on your machine to "serve" (this is what shows up when I connect to it) and a list of accounts with passwords which are allowed to access those files. There's lots of small bits and bobs to customize that, but it really is a pretty simple concept. Why would you put in your own ip addy? You say as soon as you run it it asks you to connect to a server. That is about as clear as mud. You are not describing what is happening in clear understandable terms, so it comes off as a rant. do you mean that when you start the server you get a dialog box with fields in it asking for a server ip address appearing? Is that what you see? Or something else? Folks here get tired of guessing and mostly end up ignoring stuff like that. Even if you aren't using BulletProof Server, the website has a great online manual which really helped me when I first set one up many years ago, http://www.bpftpserver.com/support/manual/...pserver/windows, and may answer a lot of your questions.

ive given TONS of information. the specific dialog box in filezilla was just about the only vague thing about my post, and thats because i assumed people knew filezilla. my mistake.

i mentioned, SEVERAL TIMES, that i was trying to at least set up my ftp to be read locally. and i mentioned other pcs on my network. so whether i have dynamic or static MEANS NOTHING when it comes to lan, and 'network' spells out R-O-U-T-E-R very, very clearly.

and the handholding? im NOT the handholding type. i jsut want to get started. i jsut want to set up a basic LAN ftp. you could have explained it to me in HALF the amount of words you used above. absolutely. but you didnt. you did what everyone else does, and redirected me to another guide i dont understand.

any moderators out there, feel free to delete this thread. im starting over.

Edited by breadandbubbles

This is how I did it.

Fresh install of Windows 2008 Standard.

Added role "Web Server" making sure to select the FTP components.

Went into "Internet Information Services (IIS) 6.0 Manager, started FTP service.

From remote PC:

start, run, cmd

ftp myserversipaddress

username, anonymous

password, blank

That's the basics, you will need to setup user accounts with passwords if you want to control access as well as setting file level security with the accounts you create.