Nlite and CPU.INF

GrofLuigi

Installed a nLited Windows Server 2003 with SP2 on a new laptop (please don't ask why - I'm trying all OSes in order to find the best/most comfortable one; so far, this is the one; about the legality - it's trial).

Everything works fine, but the processor isn't detected. In nLite, I removed AMD and Transmeta CPU drivers, but NOT Intel driver.

I've attached cpu.inf for comparison. It seems nLite adds many entries - why? Are they taken from some other inf? I can't think of a way to easily find where are they taken from (originals are compressed).

With nlite's inf, I couldn't get the processor to install at all. It gets detected as two unknown devices with identifiers:

ACPI\GENUINEINTEL_-_X86_FAMILY_6_MODEL_23\_0

ACPI\GENUINEINTEL_-_X86_FAMILY_6_MODEL_23\_1

Tried installing from a separate folder with the inf, processr.sys, intelppm.sys and p3.sys inside - no go. Also with pasting the above strings, both with and without the trailing numbers - same.

With the original cpu.inf, they get installed as two

Intel® Core2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2.00GHz

(which is correct), but processr.sys gets installed, not intelppm.sys which I read is needed for power management. Am I wrong about that? And if not, is there a way to install it?

Maybe some inf guru can check the attached infs if there is a bug in nLite processing, or if I have wrong conception of things. :) Or Server 2003 itself is missing some components?

The motherboard is Intel GM45 + ICH9M; Intel mass storage driver was integrated with Nlite (no problems here), and the general Intel chipset drivers were installed afterwards.

GL

CpuInf.ZIP

GrofLuigi,

I don't have much help. Perhaps nuhi is the only one who can help. I looked at your cpu.inf files and at my CPU.IN_ (used 7-Zip to decompress). Mine has no changes (at least no nLite note at the bottom) and I did not remove any CPU drivers.

What version of nLite are you running? Have you nLited the same source more than once? What OS are you nLiteing under? Please attach (not paste) your LastSession.ini.

My only suggestion is trying an nLite run with no CPU drivers removed.

Good luck, John.

GrofLuigi,

I don't have much help. Perhaps nuhi is the only one who can help. I looked at your cpu.inf files and at my CPU.IN_ (used 7-Zip to decompress). Mine has no changes (at least no nLite note at the bottom) and I did not remove any CPU drivers.

What version of nLite are you running? Have you nLited the same source more than once? What OS are you nLiteing under? Please attach (not paste) your LastSession.ini.

My only suggestion is trying an nLite run with no CPU drivers removed.

Good luck, John.

Hi johnc,

Thank you for your reply. I have used NLite many many times and I consider myself quite experienced with it (of course, I might be wrong :P) and I tried to help new users many times. But I'm sure I haven't made any mistake regarding this issue (maybe with other components :), but that's not important for this).

I guess I need someone with the same processor to confirm what driver gets installed. The processor can be higher (from the same generation - P8400, etc.) and the OS can be XP (I don't think there is much difference between the two OSs regarding this).

I planned to make another test run with UnNlited (yeah, a new word ;)) source soon, but I need to find some (more) free time.

GL

• 4 weeks later...
Same issue here, did you ever find a solution?

No, but it worked OK - there was some power management going, just don't know how much. (The original UnNlited :) inf was installed with "update driver".)

I haven't gotten yet to try a full installation. The main thing I want to check is if intelppm.sys EVER gets installed with this hardware.

Anyway, for power management of the processor I use RMClock and/or CrystalCPUID which work beautifully (the former just doesn't recognize half multipliers). And software UNDERVOLTING kicks a$$. :)

GL

* Edit - I doubt Server2003 or XP power management bothers to change multipliers/voltage on the fly, so those utilities are essential. For Vista, I don't know, but from the Control Panel applet I've seen on another computer, it isn't clearly exposed what does it do.

Edited by GrofLuigi

Same issue here, did you ever find a solution?

No, but it worked OK - there was some power management going, just don't know how much. (The original UnNlited :) inf was installed with "update driver".)

I haven't gotten yet to try a full installation. The main thing I want to check is if intelppm.sys EVER gets installed with this hardware.

Anyway, for power management of the processor I use RMClock and/or CrystalCPUID which work beautifully (the former just doesn't recognize half multipliers). And software UNDERVOLTING kicks a$$. :)

GL

* Edit - I doubt Server2003 or XP power management bothers to change multipliers/voltage on the fly, so those utilities are essential. For Vista, I don't know, but from the Control Panel applet I've seen on another computer, it isn't clearly exposed what does it do.

You can just edit the .inf to say intelppm.sys instead of processor.sys and it seems to work fine :)

Edited by iNFEKT