resolved

mjnels

My first guess would be to hard code the assigned ip addresses to each individual machine. Start off with getting the rest of the IP information from the first one, DNS, WINS, gateway, subnet mask, etc. then use this information to manually assign each of your four addresses to the additional machines.

Baring that I think comcast would have to get you a different modem, or additional modems?

I think the easiest router/firmware combination to have in order to accomplish this would be to use a Linksys WRT54GL router (or an older version of WRT54G) along with DD-WRT or Tomato firmware. There are tons of guides around to help you do this with this firmware.

All you need is a 1-1 NAT rule on your Router for each computer your have. As to whether or not that router provides this functionality im not sure. You would need a business grade router i would guess as most home customers have standard SUA Nat in place and therefore use only a single address.

did that, but when i use only the switch i can only get one logged onto the internet... the other(s) just stay in the status of 'limited or no connectivity'

If that's the case then one of three things is happening, a) your ISP did not give you your 2nd IP, B) your 2nd PC is not configured to automatically aquire an IP or c) your ISP is not delivering your IP through DHCP.

I would first check to make sure both PCs are set to aquire an IP automatically, then shut down both PCs, remove the power to your cable modem, remove the power to the switch, make sure that you cable modem is plugged one of the switch ports and the PCs are also plugged into the switch ports (do not use the Uplink port or the router). Restore the power to the calbe modem, then the switch, then turn on each PC.

If that still doesn't work, manually configure the IPs on each computer (still using the switch without a router).

Else, call your ISP and talk with support because something's wrong.