WPI, vLite, and a few other questions

Hey Lads,

New to the whole WPI and vLite setup.

So I have WPI almost setup how I want, I just have a few questions.

I have the &OEM& download, Do I just copy the contents to my local vLite directory structure, which will become the root of my DVD incorperating WPI?

Also, I want to setup conditions, because when WPI finishes, I am running a batch file which will copy the contents of the WPI directory structure, onto the local disk root, so the user has the applications to go back to if they want.

If they do run WPI from their HDD later on, I need a condition that basically disables an installation option if it is already installed, and will then use the javascript alert function in WPI 7 to say "%PRODUCTNAME% is already installed, you will need to uninstall it first before using WPI to install it"So WPI when ran from HDD will check for program, if it finds it installed, will disable it and display an alert

What you ask is already in WPI: if you check for the program being installed in the Condition line, it won't be shown if installed. If use the Grayed Condition, it will be disabled but still visible. There is no way to open an alert box with a message, though. So in your case, use Condition to hide the item.

Yeah, I know its capaple of doing it.

But what do I enter?

Just choosing the ifExists condition doesn't work, it seems to want more information then that alone

As for alerts, v7 added the support of the Javascript alert, so I imagine that means you can add it in somehow

--EDIT--

Additionally, I am copying the entire WPI folder contents to the systemroot\folder

I would like to create a shortcut to the wpi.hta on the users desktop.

How can I go about that?

Edited by Sgt. D. Pilla

isInstalled("Adobe Reader 8.1.2") -- or -- !isInstalled("Adobe Reader 8.1.2")

You have to install the program at least once, go to Add/Remove Programs, and use the text that is displayed there. Must match exactly.

Ok cool.

I'll check that out

Additionally, I am copying the entire WPI folder contents to the systemroot\folder

I would like to create a shortcut to the wpi.hta on the users desktop.

How can I go about that?

Another question to the one above, is my install failed to remove the other windows installations *Home, Basic, business etc* so how do I span it across multiple DVDs

Ah, yeah, vLite switches CDs fine.

Another issue, is WPI doesn't even start.

I'm making a vLite MultiDVD Vista Ultimate x64 unattended install.

Vista installs ok, but when it gets to booting WPI.hta, it comes back with the following error..

"Windows cannot find '\WPI\WPI.hta'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

I used the sources download from here http://www.wpiw.net/The_Dark_Side/help.html

The contents of the file I have is the following...

@echo off

for %%A in (C: D: E: F: G: H: I: J: K: L: M: N: O: P: Q: R: S: T: U: V: W: X: Y: Z:) do (

if exist %%A\bootmgr (

if not exist %%A\setup.exe (

echo.

echo Installing to drive %%A

echo.

if exist %%A\menu.lst attrib %%A\menu.lst -h -r -s

if exist %%A\menu.lst ren %%A\menu.lst menu_lst.bak

if exist %%A\grldr attrib %%A\grldr -h -r -s

copy %systemroot%\setup\scripts\grldr %%A\grldr

attrib %%A\grldr +h +s +r

%systemroot%\setup\scripts\bootinst /nt60 %%A

)

)

)

for %%i in (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) do if exist %%i:\sources\install.wim set CDROM=%%i:

echo Found CD-Rom as drive %CDROM%

Start %cdrom%\WPI\wpi.hta

del %0

I had to copy and cut the contents of the sources "setupcomplete.cmd" file to the end of the pre existing "setupcomplete.cmd" file

How do I correct this?

OK I see the issue but I am not sure how to correct it...

Basically you need to reset the %Path% before calling WPI's part of the command file.

Let me think who around here is the best at this sh*t? He has an owl for an avatar and hangs around the unnatended section ALL the time...

YZOWL!!! Ask him he is a genius at cmd files. Becuase yours terribly needs rebuilt.

Could someone please try to explain to me what it is that's causing a problem and what you'd like me to try to help with.

I cannot see any use of %Path% and therefore understand why it's being suggested as the root cause.

Please bear in mind upon response that I've never used, or even seen WPI at work!

@echo off

for %%A in (C: D: E: F: G: H: I: J: K: L: M: N: O: P: Q: R: S: T: U: V: W: X: Y: Z:) do (
if exist %%A\bootmgr (
if not exist %%A\setup.exe (
echo.
echo Installing to drive %%A
echo.
if exist %%A\menu.lst attrib %%A\menu.lst -h -r -s
if exist %%A\menu.lst ren %%A\menu.lst menu_lst.bak
if exist %%A\grldr attrib %%A\grldr -h -r -s
copy %systemroot%\setup\scripts\grldr %%A\grldr
attrib %%A\grldr +h +s +r
)
)
)

for %%i in (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) do if exist %%i:\sources\install.wim set CDROM=%%i:

del %0

This cmd file here Yzowl if you could possibly look at. It is 2 combined cmd files but i think it ended up being a mess. :P

Can you try to clean it up?

This is the added section:

del %0

I only mentioned you because you are so good at cmd file and scripting.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

I cannot see anything which should prevent the launch of wpi.hta

The file could obviously be tidied a little by restructuring it so I'll do that and see if it helps.

@Echo off
For /f %%# In ('Mountvol^|Findstr [c-z]:\\') Do Call :_ %%#
If Defined %CDROM% (
Echo:Found CD-Rom as drive %CDROM:~0,2%&Start %CDROM%WPI\wpi.hta)
Del %0
:_
Dir/b/a-d %1bootmgr||Goto :Eof
If Exist %1sources\install.wim (Set CDROM=%1&Goto :Eof)
Pushd %1&Echo:&Echo Installing to drive %1&Echo:
Dir/b/a-d menu.lst&&Echo:f|Xcopy menu.lst menu_lst.bak /c/q/h/r/k/x/y&&(
Del/f/a menu.lst%)
Dir/b/a-d grldr&&(Echo:f|Xcopy %systemroot%\setup\scripts\grldr grldr /c/q/h/r/y
Attrib %%A\grldr +h +s +r)
Popd

I've changed some commands around a little too! (I used xcopy just to show you that it can copy without having to use attrib).

The batch file is just typed up, it is untested.

You may also be better off not checking for the install.wim, but something like autorun.ini, after all autorun.ini is not likely to be together with bootmgr in the root of any other drive than the CD-ROM