Status of TC76

Tomalak

Hello all,

Sorry to be the first one impatient enough to ask, but: does anybody know what's up with Tomcat76? Hasn't been seen for a while now... Is he just on an extended vacation (and glad enough to be far away from any computer), or do we have to worry?

There's been a patchday recently and his homepage with the list of patches has to be updated, a newer opuc4.cab is available, at least one update (KB953839) should be incorporated into hfslip 1.x and 2.0 (ActiveX killbits are usually hardcoded), and .Net 3.5 SP1 has been released and would reqire an update of his great silent .Net maker tool. Lots of intimidating work to do ;) And TC76 is _the_ expert pushing hfslip development forward ;)

Kind regards,

Tomalak

I'm still here, checking the board almost daily. Just very busy... :)

Ah, good to hear from you, thanks for the fast reply! Glad you're still alive ;) and following the things going on here (though not much is happening lately, holiday season).

I guess everyone is relieved now, so not a problem at all. I'm sure you'll return one day when your workload decreases a little bit...

Kind regards,

Tomalak

Yeahh, i had also checked TC's profile some times to see if there had been any activity and was also beginning to get worried, since i thought that he haden't visited MSFN in 2 month's time, and that he had lost motivation for his ennormous workload...

I'm really amazed that he as one person maintains 2 branches of HFSLIP, 4 update lists, plugins and netmakers etc. besides work :wacko:

Thank's for letting us know that you're allright TC :thumbup

Take your time, and we're all very gratefull of all the things you do to make lives easier for the rest of us :)

And not to forget TP and FDV also of course, you are all trully appreciated :)

Anyway, sorry for rambling alittle here, but i was just wanting to say thank you to you all...

And not to forget TP and FDV also of course, you are all trully appreciated :)

TP and I went back in time and JUST got back about an hour ago.

In 1999 Microsoft was working on something called "Windows 2000" and it was fantastic. Everyone loved it.

But we wanted to propel open source forward and get people trying Linux, so what we did was go back to October 1, 2001 and delivered a copy of Windows XP to Microsoft, 24 days before they released it! LOL that got us an audience with Bill Gates, and we gave him a BOATLOAD of BAD ideas for a successor to XP:

- security is good, so the OS should ask for permission to do EVERYTHING

- upgrades are good, so the new OS should force people to buy new versions of most programs, especially Adobe products

- the new OS should make people upgrade all their hardware, because the latest and greatest is the best

- the new OS should have as many different editions as possible, because consumers LOVE that

- DRM should be the main concern, the movie studios will salivate over that

- boot time should be much longer, it gives users a chance to organize their thoughts

- CSS is a fad, so making IE compatible with it is a waste of time

We also suggested a new version of Office to go with this new OS which should totally reorganize the interface so that users have to relearn everything, because everyone LOVES tabs and hates menu bars.

Gotta go, we need to see if Microsoft took any of our suggestions...

@FDV:

LOL - you’re freakin´ hilarious, mate :lol:

Allthough seriously, then i couldn't agree more about your points ;)

Btw, i'm also thinking seriously about switching to Slackware(the most appealing distro of them all to me, personally) and be done with MS for good, but honestly, then each time i set myself up to make the switch, then i'm always missing good old Win2k immidiately and falls back to it again pretty fast, since i'm just so used to how everything works on that platform and am a total newbie on the *nix platform :unsure:

CU, Martin.

we are actually missing a lot of HFSLIP pioneers lately ... TP, TC, FDV, Oleg, Tain ... + some those who used to be active like Yzowl, Tux, Squeeto to name a few ... there are still a lot more who could be just out there but are preoccupied ...

on the contrary, it is nice to know that we still have the regulars around (i.e., the guy, SM, etc.)

is this a roll call? ;)

but yes indeed, it's nice to know that TC is still here ...

Edited by Kiki Burgh

• 2 weeks later...
we are actually missing a lot of HFSLIP pioneers lately ... TP, TC, FDV, Oleg, Tain ... + some those who used to be active like Yzowl, Tux, Squeeto to name a few ...

I'm still around, too :hello:

But I'm away on business since late June. I check in from time to time but cannot be online much these days. The business stuff should be over in a few weeks but then I am moving to Maryland so there will be some more down time there. But I shall return. And I shall TRIUMPH. It will be a glorious day!

• 1 month later...

Hello Tomcat76,

If you're still out there, lurking in the dark, reading here only from time to time, could you please send us again a short sign of life? Problems and changes are summing up now. While we can deal with most of them by putting files into HFSVCPACK_SW1 instead of HF and using other little workarounds, I'm afraid this is not the ideal solution most of us want :unsure:

So we really need a knowledgeable person, who is able to hardcode things (e.g. ActiveX killbits), to provide packages for HFTOOLS (e.g. time zone updates) and to maintain a one-stop-only list of patches. And guess what, this person is you - the great hfslip guru :)

We're desperately waiting for your return, picking up hfslip development (of bot 1.x and 2.x branch) again...

Thanks and regards,

Tomalak

MSFN is a community, so to help the community developers should post regularly. I hate those developers who keep playing dead.

Yea tell me about it. I hate it too when real life gets in the way of helping others for free. Thanks for the support Acheron.