Win2K slipstreamed SP4 - installation fails

chuckenheimer

I performed a generic slipstream of SP4 for my Win2K w/SP2 integrated CD-ROM and made no other changes than that. Then I burned the new installation CD and tried to install on my 750GB drive but it failed just after the initial program load in RAM, claiming it was unable to find the target drive. BSOD. I will attempt again and note the error and report back.

Is it possible the registry entry isn't being accounted for this early in the installation for the large disk?

It's nothing you've done, rather Windows 2000 does not natively support 48 bit Logical Block Addressing, so you have an upper limit of 137GB.

Could it also be that the HDD is SATA? If so see if there is a setting in BIOS that will set the drive to IDE mode.

To get around the 137GB limit integrate the Unofficial Service Pack 5 (using the driverpacks referred to in that post should solve any SATA related issues).

Kurt - thanks so much.

The drive is a PATA 750GB drive. I knew about the 137GB limit but understood that SP4 fixed that isssue which is why I tried just slipstreaming.

The post for SP5 is brilliant. I haven't been to RyanVM's and used his sofware in quite a while. Absolute genius.

May just cut to the chase with Acronis, partition then install and return to the integrated install later. I'm still concerned about the registry entry being entered enabling LARGELBA automatically or must be done manually before all can be seen by the opsys.

You don´t need the SP5 to fix the 137GB boundary.

There is an option to enable biglba in nlite already.

Don´t know, how HFSLIP does it, but it´s using reg.exe from supportfolder.

(support\tools\support.cab)

May just cut to the chase with Acronis, partition then install and return to the integrated install later.

That´s where it may get tricky.

Just used Acronis DiskDirector a couple of days ago, to partition my 160GB PATA-HDD.

The GB-barrier was fixed before.

Acronis messed it up again and I was stuck with 137GB, until I reenabled largelba manually.

Agi