Networking whole house

I am having a problem on trying to get all of my computers to show on the same network.

This is what I have right now.

1. Berklin wire and wireless router

2. Hub

3. cable modem

which right now i change get all of the computers on the network to show not enough ports in the back for them to all plug into. So should I just go wireless if so what would be the best to use.

I have used linkly before which I have liked. and as for the cards in the computer would it be better to use the usb ones I have seen.

really need to get this thing moving

oh yea I not sure but would like something that all the computers could use as to something like to put all the pictures, videos and music on and other stuff so there is one place for all computers to link to cause right now I have them on my computer and copy them to the other computers that gets to be a pain.

thank you all for you help.

not enough ports in the back for them to all plug into

If that's your only issue, then just buy a network switch, and plug everything in that (nothing to configure or whatever). You can find basic 8 port 10/100 switches for as little as little as $15. Hopefully that has enough ports to also get rid of the hub (most of them suck).

So should I just go wireless if so what would be the best to use.

Wireless would also work, but since you don't have enough ports using a router and a switch, that would mean you'd have to buy lots of wireless cards. It adds up very quickly.

as for the cards in the computer would it be better to use the usb ones I have seen

Not really. The PCI cards normally have better antennas (sometimes on a cable, so you can place in a good location), and you can also usually replace them as required with higher gain antennas and such. Lots of them USB sticks are bulky (blocks other ports), and they're basically stuck behind your computer (nice metal case blocking the signal), and their internal antennas tend to suck.

Wireless will also be affected by 2.4GHz cordless phones if you have any, as well as things like using your microwave. And it increases transfer times being slower (noticeable on larger files, nor for things like browsing web pages). It works great for certain things like using a laptop around the house, but for desktops there's no point really.

all the computers could use as to something like to put all the pictures, videos and music on and other stuff so there is one place for all computers to link to cause right now I have them on my computer and copy them to the other computers that gets to be a pain

2 words: network shares. There's no need to copy files like that.

• 1 month later...
Wireless will also be affected by 2.4GHz cordless phones if you have any, as well as things like using your microwave. And it increases transfer times being slower (noticeable on larger files, nor for things like browsing web pages). It works great for certain things like using a laptop around the house, but for desktops there's no point really.

That is, if you want to keep things as cheap as possible. Am I wrong in thinking that Wireless-N (or Pre-N) hardware operates at a frequency not affected by these household devices? I remember being at a Cisco seminar and the rep was speaking about how they had a wireless technology that was available and operated outside the range that affects 802.11b.

Ok one more ? Can someone tell me what would be a good switch to use and like as for the ports one how many and so on. If you know what I mean.

How many ports is up to you. If you are running wires through walls, you are going to want to plan ahead for future expansion. But if you aren't being so creative then you can get anything you want. So let's say you have 6 computers, you'd probably want a 8 port switch. They typically come in standard sizes, like 4, 8, 12, 16, 24, etc. But its not just your computers. You are going to run a setup like this:

Cable/DSL Modem -> router -> switch

The router can handle your wireless machines, like notebooks or whatever else. So all your hardlines connect into the switch, and you need to do a +1 because one cable will go to the router too. So an 8 port switch would work fine with 6 wired computers + a switch.

As far as the brand goes, try to stick to a popular brand (they have better support and warranties) such as Linksys, 3Com or Netgear. You'll want a 10/100 speed (sometimes called auto-sensing) switch because the ports in the modem won't be higher than 100, and you probably aren't getting internet service anywhere near 10. It doesn't matter if you have newer computers with a gigabit NIC in them, unless you are going to be doing heavy file transfers a lot. Also, make sure you are looking at a switch and NOT a hub. They are different, and they will be labelled as such on the box, especially if you get one of the brands I listed above. So here's a summary

10/100 Switch, with at least 2 more ports than you are going to need, and made by Linksys, 3Com or Netgear.

Edited by Tripredacus

That is, if you want to keep things as cheap as possible. Am I wrong in thinking that Wireless-N (or Pre-N) hardware operates at a frequency not affected by these household devices? I remember being at a Cisco seminar and the rep was speaking about how they had a wireless technology that was available and operated outside the range that affects 802.11b.
802.11n can operate at 5GHz or 2.4GHz, 802.11g and 802.11b only operate at 2.4GHz.