Grub problem with XP Installer & MSDOS on USB Stick

nForce4

Hi there :) i have read all your tutorials (jaclaz) about USB Multi boot from USB drives and .. i have a little problem. I have made a multi boot using WinGRUB and planned to use this :

1)MSDOS ( the win9x version , from floppy disk - it doesn't work when it loads the CDROM Driver )

2)PCLinuxOS without GUI

3)PClinuxOS with GUI

4)WinXP SP Installation (which gives an error : "Invalid system disk.Replace the disk and restart the system." something like this. )

what's wrong ? i tried to point the grub loader to go on i386/setupldr.bin and still doesn't work.. :(

I have a Corsair Flash Voyager 16GB and it has 3 FAT16 Partitions and 1 unallocated ( for the moment .. )

nForce4

Edited by nForce4

Hmmm,

maybe you did not read ALL of them, or not attentively enough ;), if we are talking of PE builds

\I386\ is the path for CD/DVD, for Hard disks and HD-like devices, like USB sticks it is \minint\

(this has NOTHING to do with grub4dos)

If you want to keep the \I386\ folder structure you need to edit SETUPLDR.BIN:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?sho...=21312&st=7

the "gsar" method by cdob is suggested.

However, you seem to have an "XP install from USB" setup, which needs an alltogether different structure and a number of "tricks and tweaks" that are rather lengthy to apply manually, you really should use the apps and info you can find here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/Install-XP-from-USB-f157.html

Moreover the error you are reporting appears to be not related to the above, if you reported it correctly it means that you have some problems with partitioning and formatting.

Why do you use 3 partitions?

Which tools did you use to partition the stick and format it?

Which of the three partitions is active?

Is it the one containing SETUPLDR.BIN?

Post your menu.lst.

BTW, in any of my "tutorials" where this topic is discussed, I do recommend to use grldr chainloaded from NTLDR/BOOT.INI on a multiboot setup comprising XP, 2003 or any PE, as I find it the easiest way, the use of WINGRUB (that I take it means having grldr.mbr installed to the device MBR) is ONLY advised for pecular cases where, for any reason, the easier approach does not work.

You may want to read (attentively ;)) the newish Guide for grub4dos diddy made, here:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5187

Then, you should first thing make sure you can replicate (using the USB multiboot batches and linked to tutorial on 911cd):

http://www.msfn.org/board/How-to-install-X...SB-t111406.html

the "Xp install from USB" by itself, and only later add other operating systems/options, either using the same batches or manually.

jaclaz

timeout 30
color light-cyan/cyan light-cyan/blue
color=white/blue

title MSDOS with Boot Tools
unhide (hd0,0)
hide (hd0,1)
hide (hd0,3)
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
makeactive
boot

title PCLInuxOS 2007 fastload
kernel (hd0,1)/isolinux/vmlinuz fromusb vga=788
initrd (hd0,1)/isolinux/initrd.gz

title PCLinuxOS 2007 with GUI
root (hd0,1)
kernel /isolinux/vmlinuz bootfrom=/dev/sda2 root=/dev/rd/3 acpi=on vga=788 keyb=us splash=silent fstab=rw,noauto
initrd /isolinux/initrd.gz
boot

title WinXP SP2 Install
hide (hd0,0)
hide (hd0,1)
unhide (hd0,3)
rootnoverify (hd0,3)
chainloader /i386/setupldr.bin
makeactive
boot

title Reboot
unhide (hd0,0)
unhide (hd0,1)
unhide (hd0,3)
reboot

i just want to start the normal install just like i would insert the disc into the drive . can i use something with to run with grub and the chainloader ? :(

or to launch DOS and make an autoexec with smartdrv and automatically launch winnt.exe if something else is not possible ?

Why do you use 3 partitions?

Because I need it to load with grub .. i have found this solution here , on msfn.

Which tools did you use to partition the stick and format it?

I used Partition Magic 8 and Acronis Disk Director Suite v10

Which of the three partitions is active?

Well , the first one .. but it doesn't matter , cause grub search for the list automatically and when i choose an option , the others hide as you can see to avoid problems. and GRLDR is installed on (hd0,1)

Is it the one containing SETUPLDR.BIN?

the one containing SETUPLDR.BIN is (hd0,3) and it has the exact contents of the original cd.but i cannot load setupldr.bin using

chainloader /i386/setupldr.bin

it says that it is in invalid format or not supported.. something like this..i'm very tired..

edit : i solved the problem with MSDOS.. the only one remains WinXP :(

Edited by nForce4

The XP install from USB is a topic that took months of work from several members to be able to be easily replicated.

As said, try it, or if you prefer, read the entire "historical thread":

http://www.msfn.org/board/How-to-boot-inst...key-t61384.html

and re-do all the needed steps manually.

The install, when on hard disk or similar device, needs to go in \$WIN_NT$.~BT, but there are several other changes you need to do, included grub4dos disk swapping in order to be actually able to have it working.

GRUB is NOT grub4dos.

The error you are now reporting, is NOT the same you posted earlier, "something like it" is not an accurate enough description, take your time and sleep, once you are not tired anymore, post the EXACT error you are getting.

Using tools like Partition Magic and Acronis Director Suite on the same disk is generally NOT recommended, as they could create "strange" partitionings, for example the fact that you have (hd0,0), (hd0,1) and (hd0,3) is "peculiar", where has (hd0,2) gone? :unsure:

jaclaz

well , it was the extended partition .. and i have removed it and now there are only 3 active and 1 unallocated..

well i have tried this tutorial http://www.msfn.org/board/How-to-install-X...6.html&st=6 and chainloaded .. it works until "Starting Windows.." and i get a BSOD with 07B error.. :| do i have to format all the stick and make it all over again ? :( if i change the existing Grub made with WinGRUB with grub4dos , it will work ? :|

Edited by nForce4

WinGRUB contains grub4dos NOT GRUB.

But it may contain an outdated version.

The USB_MultiBoot_10.cmd contains as well grub4dos.

The XP install should be on first partition.

Yes, as I already told you, it would be much easier if you start again from scratch.

The idea, when following a tutorial (or an automated install like the USB_MultiBoot_10.cmd) of any kind is to do EXACTLY as you are told to, verify that THAT setup works, and ONLY LATER introduce variations.

These kind of things need time, patience and an "organized" approach.

jaclaz

but if , i make first partition NTFS for WinXP and the rest of 2 FAT for MSDOS and PCLinuxOS , it will work ? :(

edit : i think it will work if grub4dos can chainload after ntldr .. but the question is : who will be permanently active ? as you can see the old menu.lst , when i select one option , the other partitions hide to avoid problems (as writting to them..)

thank you jacklaz , i will start it over again and let you know of my progress.Sorry if i annoyed you.:D and when i mean grub , i meant to the booloader.

Cheers!

Edited by nForce4

ok.. i have made windows xp setup work .. but now , Hiren's boot tools doesn't work anymore..as a matter of fact , the error message is 43 and it says : "The BPB hidden_sector should not be zero.. " .. linux works.. but now , msdos doesn't ..

of course , i have edited grub4dos' menu.lst from my preference.

the configuration is

WinXP Setup (hd0,0)

MSDoS (hd0,1)

Linux (hd0,2)

i don't understand what's wrong :(

You WON'T get support here for Hiren's, which is WAREZ. :ph34r:

You cannot boot DOS from a non-first partition or from a non-first disk.

You need to either re-map partitions or use an image.

For MS-DOS, the easier is to use grub4dos features and use a disk image, either of a floppy, of a superfloppy of a HD.

Do read this:

http://diddy.boot-land.net/grub4dos/files/map.htm

and the grub4dos_readme.txt

jaclaz

ok thanks ! maybe i can make a floppy image of the bootfiles that i had extracted from the bootdisc and fool the MSDOS that the second partition is the first using map command .. thanks ! i'll try again and let you know what happened :)

okay ! i have made it again using USB_MultiBoot_10 and added a bartpe .. so winxp setup works, but when i'm starting bartpe , it appears the Inspecting bla bla.. and then i get : "Error 14 txtsetup.sif is missing or corrupted.Setup cannot continue.Press anykey to continue" and this fails :| something wrong with usbmultiboot tool ? :( i have to mention that the partition on the USB stick is NTFS

Edited by nForce4

First step :

i used H and formated using HP utility with NTFS file system.

Second step:

i pointed to my XP cd (no drivers needed)

so there asked me for the unattended and i have chosen semi-unatteded

Third step:

i pointed to my stick

Fourth step:

i pointed to the BartPE folder

5th step :

Switched Recovery Console ON

6th step:

started by pressing 3.

when i were asked for XP +extra source .. bla bla .. i pressed yes ( that means xp+extra )

and the setup go till all the files have finished processing.

then , i run a command prompt window

i have typed like it is specified in this thread : http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?sho...mp;#entry143701

copy /y I:\minint\setupldr.bin I:\peldr

then

i point to USB_MultiBoot_10 and type

makebt\gsar -b -o -sBT:x00:x00:x00\:x00:x00:x00txtsetup -rBT:x00:x00:x00\:x00:x00:x00notsetup I:\peldr

command prompt replies with this:

H:\USB_MultiBoot_10>makebt\gsar -b -o -sBT:x00:x00:x00\:x00:x00:x00txtsetup -rBT

:x00:x00:x00\:x00:x00:x00notsetup I:\peldr

I:\peldr: 0x1eba9

I:\peldr: 1 occurrence changed

i rebooted and i get the same error.. :|

Error 14 , INF file txtsetup.sif is corrupted or missing.Setup cannot continue.Press anykey to continue.

what did i go wrong ? :(

edit : watched the log and i saw that the same occurence with gsar have been already made.so what i wrote in the final stage it's the same.

Edited by nForce4