How to install Windows Vista Using Pen Drive?

electrosam

First of, this has been asked and answered many times, did you try to search for "install vista from usb stick" in google? But anyways let me give you the answer, I'm in a good mood today.

On a system already running Vista (there's no way around it unless you got a WinPE boot disk version 2.0 or 2.1) and put the stick in your PC. Open a command box (start -> run -> cmd) and run the following commands:

# diskpart

# list disk

PAY VERY GOOD ATTENTION HERE AS YOU MIGHT WIPE OUT YOUR 2ND OR ANOTHER HARD DRIVE THATS NOT YOUR USB STICK!

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt

-------- ---------- ------- ------- --- ---

Disk 0 Online 149 GB 0 B

Disk 1 Online 3836 MB 0 B

(in this example disk 1 is the usb disk, you can check which disk in the list has the size of your usb stick, my stick is 4gb.)

# select disk 1 (be sure the disk you select is your usb stick!)

# clean

# create partition primary

# select partition 1

# active

# format quick fs=fat32

# assign

# exit

After this navigate to the usb stick via "my computer" then unpack the ISO you made to it. You can also copy the files from the vLite workdir to it.

I hope this helps, but next time please use the search :D

Edited by blerk

• 1 month later...

After installing Windows Vista, can I just delete every file or format the pen drive so that I can reuse the pen drive as storage device? To completely erase the pen drive, do I have to use command prompt or just usual deleting in Windows Explorer?

Edited by alvinkhorfire

• 2 weeks later...

I hope someone has the answer. I was able to get the system to boot and run the installer on the pen drive. After I format the drive and select the Vista operating system to install I get the following error "WIndows could not determine if this computer contains a valid system volume"

I searched the internet and the solution given is to disable the USB drive in the BIOS. There are two issues the first one is obvious, need USB enabled to boot on USB pen drive also my BIOS only allows me to change to boot order.

My hard drive is a 36GB SATA 10,000 RPM Raptor drive I do not know if this is an issue but there are no driver issues on boot and the installer can see the drive just fine.

Last but not least I would love to see a vLite version that allows me to select more then one version at a time to update.

Love vLite just looking for more like everyone else, keep up the good work

Edited by topbrass1960