Alternative to nLite?

Does anyone know of an alternative to nLite for customising W2k and WXP?

Ideally something with a non-interactive mode which would tailor an install to our specifications given an appropriate configuration file.

And please don't suggest XPlite or XP Embedded. We have already looked at those, one is useless, the other too complex and both are far too bloody expensive for the number of systems we expect to build.

We need a lightweight solution and would appreciate any assistance you can give. Even a pointer in the right direction would help.

Many thanks in advance.

Not a program, but if you read here, in my opinion its the best way .. it might look like it would take a while to do it that way but its alot faster than wasting time with programs that only stuff it all up in the end ..

Edited by mazmorbid

Yeah you already mentioned the alternatives.

Now you'll hafta do it the long way.

But it's an awesome learning experience!!!

WPI can help with alot of the tweaking and app installs and it's definatly ok to use in corp enviroments...

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Ideally something with a non-interactive mode which would tailor an install to our specifications given an appropriate configuration file.

It does exist, it is actually called "batch files". :whistle:

Seriously, you might want to have a look at the UXP project for Winbuilder:

http://www.msfn.org/board/project-uxp-t113249.html

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=3651

Though it currently uses nlite as "source tweaking sub-engine", you can replace it anytime with your custom .scripts.

jaclaz

It does exist, it is actually called "batch files". :whistle:

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that was meant to be a joke. :frown:

@everyone

Thanks for your suggestions but the problem is not the installation procedure which is fully automated in any case, but the pre-installation customisation and removal of extraneous crap from Windows. One of the primary sticking points as Kelsenellenelvian spotted is nLite's license.

We did consider using XP Embedded as our R&D platform but quite apart from the complexity of the thing, is the problem of extracting the information we need to tailor a standard XP build.

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone know of an alternative to nLite for customising W2k and WXP?

The only program that I know of that even comes close to doing what nLite does is

WinFuture xp-Iso-Builder 3

. It does a few things that I don't recall seeing nLite being able to do (preset Windows Services, get service settings from current system, set non-standard paths for more system folders, set pagefile size, add additional fonts), although if I had to choose only one to use, I'd pick nLite for its ability to remove unwanted components and services. Thankfully, I don't have to and plan on mixing and matching to obtain the best of both worlds.:D